What a statement!

jwgreen68

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Hiding in your attic
How sad is the fact, that as Dishnetwork subs, we've waited for weeks for announcements of new national HD? But, what we get instead is a lousy statement regarding the Obama channel! Directv news is all over the net the last few weeks, but nothing but politics and lawsuits involving DISH! How long is E* going to sit around and lose subs, while Directv expands and snatches those dissatisfied customers up? It's getting to the point now where it really doesn't matter how many sats E* launches, it won't translate to new channels. What did we get with E11? Oh yeah, EA benefits from that, while the rest of us have to put up with the crappy 129! Thanks Dish!

What channel are you wanting? You understand Someone has to put the channel up before Dish can provide it don't you. Dish has almost all the national HDs even though many of them are not worth having as they are over half full of Stretchovision. Some are not even airing material that is available in HD in HD form they are instead stretching.

What channel are you wanting? You understand Someone has to put the channel up before Dish can provide it don't you. Dish has almost all the national HDs even though many of them are not worth having as they are over half full of Stretchovision. Some are not even airing material that is available in HD in HD form they are instead stretching.
Don't even try to run that ny me. Dish has nowhere near what channels are offered in HD! Try Speed, CMT, Nick HD, just to name a few. Plus, the fact that my Locals in HD were promised over 2 years ago. Directv turned those on a few weeks back, but Dish isn't in a hurry. When I told them I would switch to Directv for that reason alone, they gave me instructions on where to send my equipment! That's a great way to do business!

How sad is the fact, that as Dishnetwork subs, we've waited for weeks for announcements of new national HD? But, what we get instead is a lousy statement regarding the Obama channel! Directv news is all over the net the last few weeks, but nothing but politics and lawsuits involving DISH! How long is E* going to sit around and lose subs, while Directv expands and snatches those dissatisfied customers up? It's getting to the point now where it really doesn't matter how many sats E* launches, it won't translate to new channels. What did we get with E11? Oh yeah, EA benefits from that, while the rest of us have to put up with the crappy 129! Thanks Dish!

I somewhat agree, I was with Direct for about 10 year, I switched over to Dish in March to go to the all HD package, which did cut my bill in half, but when Dish changes packages next year I will be right back at the same cost as Direct.
Having said that Direct is far superior to Dish. The Direct remote is much better the HDDVR is far superior now that the bug are out, many more features with the remote and the DVR. This may just be my opinion but I am entitled to it. Also Direct has much more signal strenght, not just much more, but way much more.

I somewhat agree, I was with Direct for about 10 year, I switched over to Dish in March to go to the all HD package, which did cut my bill in half, but when Dish changes packages next year I will be right back at the same cost as Direct.
Having said that Direct is far superior to Dish. The Direct remote is much better the HDDVR is far superior now that the bug are out, many more features with the remote and the DVR. This may just be my opinion but I am entitled to it. Also Direct has much more signal strenght, not just much more, but way much more.
Having had both services, I would agree with most of what you said. I've just never used their DVR, but have no complaints about the VIP 722. I've had a PVR 510 for over 5 years and no problems with it,

Having had both services, I would agree with most of what you said. I've just never used their DVR, but have no complaints about the VIP 722. I've had a PVR 510 for over 5 years and no problems with it,

I have not had any problem with the 722 either, and I had no issues with the Directv HDDVR either, but the Directv had many more features that I did like much better than Dish, even the remote was much better to use with a better lay out of buttons

Now THAT'S "change we can believe in" :rolleyes:

the oboma channel was not "brought" to you by dishnetwork. it was the democratic party that purchased the channel. dish is not paying the democratic party to play this channel.

Directv news is all over the net the last few weeks, but nothing but politics and lawsuits involving DISH! How long is E* going to sit around and lose subs, while Directv expands and snatches those dissatisfied customers up? It's getting to the point now where it really doesn't matter how many sats E* launches, it won't translate to new channels. What did we get with E11? Oh yeah, EA benefits from that, while the rest of us have to put up with the crappy 129! Thanks Dish!

First, what new national HD has DirecTV launched in the last few weeks? NONE! Aside from AT&T, Direct hasn't been making much positive news either. And Dish lawsuits we heard about are the same ones they've had for some time; no news there.

Second, Dish did just make some FCC filings regarding the replacement for the 129 space junk, namely Ciel 2. That will give them some extra HD space, and space for a whole lotta local HD. I suggest you read that thread.

There are far too many political ads on tv as it is. I'll just put a block on this channel and anything McPain puts up if he does. I'm disgusted by both sides. You have to give ol Charlie credit though. He's finding a way to make a buck and taking advantage of it. It may just backfire on him though if people take it the wrong way.

Don't even try to run that ny me. Dish has nowhere near what channels are offered in HD! Try Speed, CMT, Nick HD, just to name a few. Plus, the fact that my Locals in HD were promised over 2 years ago. Directv turned those on a few weeks back, but Dish isn't in a hurry. When I told them I would switch to Directv for that reason alone, they gave me instructions on where to send my equipment! That's a great way to do business!

Amen to that. I was forced to switch inorder to get my home hockey team's games in HD, while D*, TWC and even FIOS, was carrying the MSG-Buffalo version in HD.:mad:

Amen to that. I was forced to switch inorder to get my home hockey team's games in HD, while D*, TWC and even FIOS, was carrying the MSG-Buffalo version in HD.:mad:

Hey, Islandguy. I'm moving to a new house and I'm flirting with the idea of changing to D*. I've been a dish sub since they sent you everything in a box and you did the entire install yourself. So.... long time.

I'm wondering if the D* HD DVR can record as many things at once as the E* DVR (I have a 622). I'm hearing that the D* DVR can't record OTA. That would be a deal breaker for me as the wife is often recording 3 things at once on the 622 while we're out. Now.... if the D* DVRs can share programs (record on DVR #1 in living room and watch on DVR #2 in bedroom) then this might be ok.

Also... you need 2 cables to a D* DVR? as opposed to one cable for a 622?

Hey, Islandguy. I'm moving to a new house and I'm flirting with the idea of changing to D*. I've been a dish sub since they sent you everything in a box and you did the entire install yourself. So.... long time.

I'm wondering if the D* HD DVR can record as many things at once as the E* DVR (I have a 622). I'm hearing that the D* DVR can't record OTA. That would be a deal breaker for me as the wife is often recording 3 things at once on the 622 while we're out. Now.... if the D* DVRs can share programs (record on DVR #1 in living room and watch on DVR #2 in bedroom) then this might be ok.

Also... you need 2 cables to a D* DVR? as opposed to one cable for a 622?

My install isn't until next week ; however I have been told you can record two programs at once and watch a third. I am using the AAA discount, so nothing is coming out of my pocket for equipment upfront plus getting their Premier PacKage for buying the NFL Season Ticket . You might want to check out the specs of their dvrs first over on the DTV Forums. It was basically a case of me having no choice but switching. I waited to the very end hoping E* would start showing the MSG Familiy of Channels in HD, to no avail. My son has D* and I have seen the PQ , so it will be great to have the Sabres and other NY teams in HD (NHL CI) plus getting the Yankees next year too.

I was also a former Direct customer. I also received a significant reduction in my monthly billing when moving to TurboHD Gold + Locals. Frankly I had a much different opinion and counted many months before I finally switched. I had to finish my last "commitment" before I canceled their service.

As to the remote, strangely my in-laws and other visiting family can pick it up and use it easier than my previous Direct remote. Probably due to the buttons being labeled besides the different colors. I was always forgetting what button did what when it came to the red, yellow, green and blue buttons on the Direct remote. I'd write down full instructions and still have family frustrated with the TV when I'd return. One of them was a CEO of a major pharmaceutical company, so it certainly wasn't due to the "hedge fence" cognitive argument.

Cannot understand where you developed the opinion on the HDDVR being superior, but each to their own. It's just that almost everyone, including posters in the D* threads and professional reviews (CNET and others) agree on the superiority of the ViP 622 and 722 receivers.

Cannot understand where you developed the opinion on the HDDVR being superior, but each to their own. It's just that almost everyone, including posters in the D* threads and professional reviews (CNET and others) agree on the superiority of the ViP 622 and 722 receivers.
I agree, Superior and Directv HDDVRs, do not go together. Sorry:p

In my particular neighborhood, over the past three weeks i haven't seen one DirectV install van, but a number of Dish's have been doing installs. Maybe these people are getting the HD only pack, but they still count as subscribers.

I don't believe that CMT or NickHD have had any programs in HD since the channels were added to D*. Speed has some HD programming that I never watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)