what actuator do I need

Status
Please reply by conversation.

babcea

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
N.Florida
I have a 10 ft. mesh bish(don't know the name) the actuator from the motor to the end is 24" but my dish will not go to the east side of the arc.it will only go to 85w.and to the west it goes to 125w.If I loosen the mount and move the dish to the east then I can get the east arc and not the west.My question is would a 36" be enough to get the whole arc,and how big is an h-h motor.when I say the mount I mean the motor not the dish on the pole. I live in the south,north florida

Are you using a 4DTV receiver, you may have a Limit set somewhere.
With a 24" motor I can go from 137west to 50 west.
Now I am using a ust 7700 uniden to move the dish,when the dish is as far east as it will go (the shaft is all the way out) it is around 85w I am guessing the exact position because of the trees,but I can get 87w that is my true sat.The mount for the motor is about 4 inches from the end where the shaft comes out.Should I loosen the bolts and move the dish so that the mount is more it the middle.

When you say "all the way out" are you measuring how far out the shaft is, or is the Hard limit switch in the motor engaging?
What I do is retract the motor all the way, extend just a few clicks(just in case) and set Motor Clamp to AMC8 @ 139 west. Then enter / save Sats from AMC8 on up.

When you say "all the way out" are you measuring how far out the shaft is, or is the Hard limit switch in the motor engaging?
What I do is retract the motor all the way, extend just a few clicks(just in case) and set Motor Clamp to AMC8 @ 139 west. Then enter / save Sats from AMC8 on up.
I have not measured it but if the limit is engaging it is real close to the end.thanks for that info,I will try that and see how it works.do you think the closer to the equater you are the longer the shaft on the motor needs to be.this is just something I was thinking about,since it seems like a higher elevation of the dish.so a wider swing of the dish.

FYI, it won't measure exactly 24" extended. Only reason I suggested, I removed a Dish and tested the motor, a prev installer had re-set the Physical Limits.
Just noticed that you are in Florida, are you using an East setup?(motor on left side)
I'm in Illinois, which is a West setup, so my way would not work for a East setup.
If you are using a East setup, you would do the opposite.
I don't think your location will greatly affect the number of sats you can hit, 2deg is 2deg(with a little fudge factor for location)
Take a look at.....
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...ane-satellite-tv-magazine-october-1983-a.html
See page 22, describes what you are asking.

FYI, it won't measure exactly 24" extended. Only reason I suggested, I removed a Dish and tested the motor, a prev installer had re-set the Physical Limits.
Just noticed that you are in Florida, are you using an East setup?(motor on left side)
I'm in Illinois, which is a West setup, so my way would not work for a East setup.
If you are using a East setup, you would do the opposite.
I don't think your location will greatly affect the number of sats you can hit, 2deg is 2deg(with a little fudge factor for location)
Take a look at.....
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...ane-satellite-tv-magazine-october-1983-a.html
See page 22, describes what you are asking.
thanks for that link that was cool,looking from behind my dish the motor is on the west side,(the right).

Made a mistake referring to the East / West setup, your setup is correct.
I am in the East (as you are) and use a Western setup, here is a c/p if you are interested.
----------------
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]A common error made by both new installers and old timers alike is in attaching the linear actuator arm. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]East of the Mississippi we use a Linear West setting. This seems counter-intuitive at first but closer examination will reveal the sense of this set-up. We want the actuator arm to push the dish into position and let gravity help to return it. From the eastern
part of the country the lowest satellites will be on the western side of the arc so we position the actuator arm on the west side of the dish (on the right when looking at the dish from behind). From the western part of the country the situation is reversed and the lowest satellites will be the eastern birds. West of the Mississippi we attach the actuator arm to the left of the dish and call it a linear east mount.
---------------------
I still think you should get more travel from a 24" arm. If you can, take the cover off the motor where the wires go in then drive to the east until it stops, check to see if the limit switch is engaged.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Made a mistake referring to the East / West setup, your setup is correct.
I am in the East (as you are) and use a Western setup, here is a c/p if you are interested.
----------------
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]A common error made by both new installers and old timers alike is in attaching the linear actuator arm. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]East of the Mississippi we use a Linear West setting. This seems counter-intuitive at first but closer examination will reveal the sense of this set-up. We want the actuator arm to push the dish into position and let gravity help to return it. From the eastern[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]part of the country the lowest satellites will be on the western side of the arc so we position the actuator arm on the west side of the dish (on the right when looking at the dish from behind). From the western part of the country the situation is reversed and the lowest satellites will be the eastern birds. West of the Mississippi we attach the actuator arm to the left of the dish and call it a linear east mount.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]---------------------[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I still think you should get more travel from a 24" arm. If you can, take the cover off the motor where the wires go in then drive to the east until it stops, check to see if the limit switch is engaged.[/FONT][/SIZE]
thank you it think I have read that some where before.I will do that as soon as I get home,I am getting ready to take a plane home from poland(it is about time)I have been here for two weeks,I am ready to get home and play with my toys(sat stuff).I did not get a chance to play with fta but lngsat shows a lot of fta over here,next year I am going to get an fta system and try it out,Nice dishes and alot of linear lnbs everywhere,I think there c band dishes are smaller,I see some that look like birdviews but they are only about 3-4 ft,and they have actuators on what looks like fortec star dishes abot 39 inches,I have not seen any motors like we use for ku(sg2100)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)