What antenna do I need? Details inside..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

skunker

Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
San Antonio, Tx
Man, this forum is waaaay too big. So, mind if I just jump in and ask a simple question?

1.) My zipcode is 78250 and I am in San Antonio, Tx. Can someone tell me what antenna I need to buy in order to get free OTA programming? Thank you. I have a HDTV that has a digital tuner, but the signal is too weak as-is.

1.) My zipcode is 78250 and I am in San Antonio, Tx. Can someone tell me what antenna I need to buy in order to get free OTA programming?

The cheapest option is the Antennacraft HBU-22. Also consider one of the smaller the Winegard Channel 7-69 antennas. (HD76??)

Radio Shack VU-90 should get you most of your stations. You need both VHF and UHF, most are 25-30 miles from you and the same direction 123 degrees approximate.

Hey guys, I had an indoor antenna and returned it and now just purchased the VU-90 from Radio Shack. Thanks for the suggestions.

Now, can I just assemble it and "test" it in my attic? Is it that simple? The attic already has a cable running from it into the living room thanks to the last owner that owned this house...but I think he may have had a satellite connection of some sort becasue there's a cable amplifier box there...I am going to disconnect that and go straight from the cable to the antenna.

I will eventually move out outside to the roof, but was just curious what kind of reception I can get in the attic.

Hey guys, I had an indoor antenna and returned it and now just purchased the VU-90 from Radio Shack. Thanks for the suggestions.

Now, can I just assemble it and "test" it in my attic? Is it that simple? The attic already has a cable running from it into the living room thanks to the last owner that owned this house...but I think he may have had a satellite connection of some sort becasue there's a cable amplifier box there...I am going to disconnect that and go straight from the cable to the antenna.

I will eventually move out outside to the roof, but was just curious what kind of reception I can get in the attic.
You will have some signal loss going through the roof material, but it should work. If you have foil underlayment on the roof decking it will kill TV antenna signals in the attic, be sure to point the small end of the antenna at the broadcast towers 123 degrees. If you have adequate signal strength in the attic you might want to permantly mount it there, hopefully the attic will protect from wind and rain so the antenna will have a long life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)