What are good signal levels for Eastern Arc in Southeast Alabama

A2 series. The only ones i ever hear other techs talk about is how bad A1's are and how great A7's are. Truth is, I get passing limit scans on all LNBS. Limit Scan is an option on the Super Buddy meter that tests 4 transponders for signal strength on each satellite
Yep, A2 is what my research in the meantime was showing me. I think the only "A7" I saw listed though, was a DPH twin LNB. No help there for my H2's...

You recommended using a 1000.2 and EA twin LNB over my current 1000.4 and EA triple LNB setup, but I don't understand to what end. My current signal strengths are about the same as yours, falling in the 50-55 range. What would I gain to offset the loss of the superior "aimability" of the 1000.4?

Yep, A2 is what my research in the meantime was showing me. I think the only "A7" I saw listed though, was a DPH twin LNB. No help there for my H2's...

You recommended using a 1000.2 and EA twin LNB over my current 1000.4 and EA triple LNB setup, but I don't understand to what end. My current signal strengths are about the same as yours, falling in the 50-55 range. What would I gain to offset the loss of the superior "aimability" of the 1000.4?
TBH, when I was up in Buffalo working last month, I saw a LOT of 1000.4 eastern arc dishes, I couldn't get peak signals on the 1000.4. In another thread i mentioned limit scans and they'd fail consistently,whereas on a 1000.2, just the opposite. Failing limit scans means not having the dish peaked out to all satellites, which means you're losing signal. I know a lot of you guys go with a "good enough" way of peaking the dish the best you all can without a meter, but a poorly pointed dish means signal loss, channel loss on some transponders, etc., which I'm sure you know

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't know what to say except that in the hundreds of times I've set up our portable 1K4 so far, although not always on the EA of course, I've never noticed any channel loss after tweaking each LNB with my poor little $50 meter. Come to think of it, I've never noticed it even on the quick overnight stop setups where "good enough" is definitely the rule. Here in VT right now, my signal levels are a consistent 51-53 across all three EA sats, although I usually don't bother trying to peak 77 unless I need it. With my "no tools needed" dish setup, tweaking all three axis is really pretty easy.

Reactions: TheKrell
I don't know what to say except that in the hundreds of times I've set up our portable 1K4 so far, although not always on the EA of course, I've never noticed any channel loss after tweaking each LNB with my poor little $50 meter. Come to think of it, I've never noticed it even on the quick overnight stop setups where "good enough" is definitely the rule. Here in VT right now, my signal levels are a consistent 51-53 across all three EA sats, although I usually don't bother trying to peak 77 unless I need it. With my "no tools needed" dish setup, tweaking all three axis is really pretty easy.

I'm sure you've probably done it so many times, you just know and tbh, I'm not there. I'm just surmising from 1000 miles away.

Reactions: NYDutch
TBH, when I was up in Buffalo working last month, I saw a LOT of 1000.4 eastern arc dishes, I couldn't get peak signals on the 1000.4. In another thread i mentioned limit scans and they'd fail consistently,whereas on a 1000.2
I would imagine that the difference between the EA 1000.4 and 1000.2 in signal levels and ease of alignment is greater in the north than in the south, due to lower angles. I have a 3-LNB 1000.4 here in FL and I have signals in the mid 50s on 61.5, and mid 60's on 72.7 and 77.

Reactions: jerryez
I would imagine that the difference between the EA 1000.4 and 1000.2 in signal levels and ease of alignment is greater in the north than in the south, due to lower angles. I have a 3-LNB 1000.4 here in FL and I have signals in the mid 50s on 61.5, and mid 60's on 72.7 and 77.
As I recall, that's similar to the numbers we see in Florida. We won't be there until early January though, so please don't use up all the "warm" before we get there! :biggrin

Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)