What are my chances???

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
What are my chances of getting signals off a tower 76.3 miles away? There are a few small mountains in between...say 2500ft.

All of the channels I'm interested in are in the VHF range. I know I'll need a good long range directional antenna and pre-amp.

But, what are my chances...really???:confused:

What are my chances of getting signals off a tower 76.3 miles away? There are a few small mountains in between...say 2500ft.

All of the channels I'm interested in are in the VHF range. I know I'll need a good long range directional antenna and pre-amp.

But, what are my chances...really???:confused:

DTV Antenna
Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Live
Date Compass
Orientation Miles
From Frequency
Assignment
blue - uhf WNNE 31 NBC HARTFORD VT 104° 21.3 31
blue - uhf WVTA 41 PBS WINDSOR VT 106° 21.4 41
* violet - uhf WVTA-DT 41.1 PBS WINDSOR VT 106° 21.4 24
violet - vhf WCAX 3 CBS BURLINGTON VT 17° 74.8 3
* violet - uhf WNNE-DT 25.1 NBC HARTFORD VT 104° 21.3 24

Honestly probably slim, but you never know till you try.
I have a 91xg(uhf only) mounted on a 50 ft tower and anything over 60 miles
is a crap shoot. If i was going to try and receive any *violet stations I would
probably try using the hd8200p antenna with a good preamp and get it up as high
as possible because height=gain.:up

I own the hd8200p and thought the 91 xg performed better on uhf.

the 8200p performs nicely on vhf.

The mountains blocking signal will really hurt digital reception...and drastically lower your chances of success. The antenna web results hint of the issue. Normally signal from 20 miles away should be in the yellow, green, lt green range.

Last edited:
Well, it's like this. I'm at 05773 zip. I wanna try hitting the towers in the Albany, NY area 12201 zip. All stations I'm interested in are in the VHF range. It's pretty much the only chance in hell I've got at receiving any HD OTA. Fairly clear shot towards the south-southwest and that's it. Right up against a hill to the NNE, E, SSE, & S. So, shooting anywhere from 20 degrees to 180 degrees compass orientation is out of the question.

What if I got the largest friggin' directional I can find along with a CM7777 pre-amp?:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)