What are the requirements to become an installer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LookingInto

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
USA
I heard that installers can make 900-1100 a week?
If one earned 1000 a week then it turns out to be annual income of 52k, which is a lot more than what lots of Uni graduates who majored in a humanities major get.

So I naturally thought that the competition must be very fierce.

I am a drop out of a Uni (5 semesters) and as a job history have only 2 months of Kroger.

If I were to go back to Uni I wouldn't know what to do except maybe teach English in Korea/Japan, which pays like 20k-40k.

I really like the prospect of installing dish because I guess I would get lots of exercise and fresh air in doing so.

You're probably over qualified to become an installer. When I had my Direct TV installed last week the installer did not read my work order and had no idea that I was supposed to receive MRV. When I pointed this out to him, he told me that inorder to have MRV service my box had to be hard wired to the internet and thus I could not have this service. After an argument with him, and my refusal to sign the contract, he called his boss who straightened him out and I had MRV service. Wouldn't you read the work order before you entered the customer's house? I don't think the qualifications are too great.

Personally I have only had one bad installer but at least he had a van with the logo on it. Judging by the one my daughter got all that is required is a truck, ladder, some wire cutters and crimpers and either a compass or another dish in the neighbor hood to figure out where to point it. He also had no idea how to install MVR service. Told her she was in an MDU area and they couldnt do it even though you could look next door and tell the dish on that house had the MRV type single wire lnb. But I do know there are many many competent installers out there that read the WO and install everything properly. Some of these independent contractors that do both Dish and Direct and may even install cable telephone in some areas leave a lot to be desired. With some of the weird territorial issues these companies have, the nice people at Direct cant help you with the problem and sadly these outfits like Primecast know they can get by with it.

$1000 a week, minus $200 gas, wear n tear on truck, tools, insurance.... I can keep going... U are left with about $350 for 60 hours.. Do the math!
That comes out to be 5.80/hr, which is lower than minimum wage. I refuse to belive anyone would work for only that much.

That comes out to be 5.80/hr, which is lower than minimum wage. I refuse to belive anyone would work for only that much.

honestly it all depends on who you work for, in this line of business you are seriously rolling the dice if your with a good company or bad. In my experience in over 12 years there is a LOT more bad than good companies out there.. Things were great back in 98-06 (my opinion) but things have QUICKLY went downhill. HSP's love to makeup chargebacks, fail to pay you to where you have to spend money and a LOT of time to fight for your money.. Honestly if you are interested in good money, get trained somewhere, get the knowledge, and become a retailer and work DIRECTLY under D* and/or Dish.. The money is good, MOST the drama is eliminated. I am by far not an expert but I have been a retailer for 3 years now and loving every minute of it with good pay..

honestly it all depends on who you work for, in this line of business you are seriously rolling the dice if your with a good company or bad. In my experience in over 12 years there is a LOT more bad than good companies out there.. Things were great back in 98-06 (my opinion) but things have QUICKLY went downhill. HSP's love to makeup chargebacks, fail to pay you to where you have to spend money and a LOT of time to fight for your money.. Honestly if you are interested in good money, get trained somewhere, get the knowledge, and become a retailer and work DIRECTLY under D* and/or Dish.. The money is good, MOST the drama is eliminated. I am by far not an expert but I have been a retailer for 3 years now and loving every minute of it with good pay..

Does D* stand for DirecTV?
What is working directly under the two companies by becoming a retailer mean? What does a retailer do? What is the criteria to get the job?
Also seriously can you earn less than minimum wage if you get BAD? Even in big name companies like DirecTV and Dish? What is average pay would you say?

What is working directly under the two companies by becoming a retailer mean? What does a retailer do? What is the criteria to get the job?
Also seriously can you earn less than minimum wage if you get BAD? Even in big name companies like DirecTV and Dish? What is average pay would you say?

Average pay is probably close to $11 - $14 an hour. Depending on policies, you can do worse or better. But you will not be making $1000 a week. At one time, yes, that was possible. In a nutshell, all of these companies find ways to dock your pay to the point where you make about $12 an hour. And keep in mind, this is not waking up at 7am, clocking in at 8am, and then clocking out at 5pm. There is alot of BS time that you don't get paid, such as meetings, inventory, drive time, ect...

You can find a couple different ways to work. You have "inhouse" techs and then you have contractors. If you choose Dish Network, I believe you are actually working for Dish. DirecTV outsources all of their work to regional contractors called HSP's. There are a couple regions where you actually work for DirecTV. If you work for Dish Network, also called DNS, or one of DirecTV's HSP's, they will provide you with all of the equipment, vehicle, fuel, and parts. There will be some basic tools that you will need to bring to the game. At this point, you are an employee for these companies, NOT a contractor.
The pay structure with both of these employers are complex and meant to keep your eye off the real question...What are you REALLY making?
DirecTV pays by piece work. Basically, you get paid $x.00 to put the dish up, then $x.00 for each additional receiver. If its an upgrade or service call, its a flat rate. So basically, if an install pays $65.00 and takes you an hour, you did great. If it takes you four hours, then you're screwed. Same with service calls and upgrades.
Dish Networks uses some Points Per Hours, or PPH, BS. Its basically the same idea behind piecework, except you're awarded points per hour. Then there are several factors including PPH, such a connectivity (hooking phone lines up), Quality of work, ect ... that all determines your hourly rate. Dish Network is notorious for micromanaging and implementing ridiculous rules. For example, you are required to rewire every house if it is not Dish Networks substandard cable. Yes. Substandard. Nearly every cable company and DirecTV uses a higher standard cable than Dish Network and they require you to rip it all out because it is not their specific vendor of cable. The idiotic nonsense is just getting started with that example.

Contractors: Stay away from these guys. DirecTV's HSPs and DNS outsource some of their work to smaller contract companies. If you go through these guys, they require you to provide everything up front, vehicle, gas, tools, ect... They pay a little better, but you take all the risk. Very often these contractors are snakes. The open up shop, land the contract and disappear in 6 months time. They back charge you (DirecTV's HSP's do this too) for numerous things, often for things out of your control. Stay away from them unless you find a very good one from talking to the guys who are contracting for them.

Retailers are the local guys around town. They land a sale and need someone to do the install. They pay by piece work too, but the almost always pay better and w/out all the nonsense you find with the groups above. If you are serious about getting in this industry, this is where you should start. Unfortunately, they have very experience tech's waiting in line outside their door.

My advise: Rethink this and find something better. You're going about this very wrong if you expect to make 52k a year. There is good money to be made in the satellite industry, but its all in commercial. There is nothing wrong with starting out with one of with one of these slave outfits to get the experience, but you need to have a very clear exit strategy in a year or two to move onto something better.

LookingInto said:

"Can you earn lass than minimum wage ?"
When you have to take all your tools and travel vehicle and gas into account, I would say its likely ....

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Average pay is probably close to $11 - $14 an hour. Depending on policies, you can do worse or better. But you will not be making $1000 a week. At one time, yes, that was possible. In a nutshell, all of these companies find ways to dock your pay to the point where you make about $12 an hour. And keep in mind, this is not waking up at 7am, clocking in at 8am, and then clocking out at 5pm. There is alot of BS time that you don't get paid, such as meetings, inventory, drive time, ect...
Is that $12/hr taking into account the BS time? How many hours do you usually work each week?

Dish Network is notorious for micromanaging and implementing ridiculous rules. For example, you are required to rewire every house if it is not Dish Networks substandard cable. Yes. Substandard. Nearly every cable company and DirecTV uses a higher standard cable than Dish Network and they require you to rip it all out because it is not their specific vendor of cable. The idiotic nonsense is just getting started with that example.

What do they do with the wasted better quality cable? Keep them so they can re-sell them?

What do they do with the wasted better quality cable? Keep them so they can re-sell them?

Certainly,
As a Directv contractor I would not have continued past the first week if it were not for existing cable in most buildings. When connecting CATV customers to Directv the miles...miles!..of new cable that were in most crawlspaces were coiled and thrown into the truck just to make room to work and get the in-service cable identified. There was never enough money offered to pull new cable for each job.

DISH cable was always good enough for Directv and the rest of the conversion was EZ.

By the way...I took my son with me on installations (1) so we could have some time together. (2) so he could see what awaited him if he did not continue in school beyond HS. He spent three years in an engineering school...saw many unemployed recent graduates...and spoke to the USAF. He is finishing his degree in the USAF and looking to a future in electronics. Directv may give you a blue shirt...the USAF has cool threads!

Keep looking and good luck,

Joe

Last edited:
Is that $12/hr taking into account the BS time? How many hours do you usually work each week?

I got out when things were really starting to get bad. I did a 9 month stint as a contractor for one of DirecTV's HSP's. They wanted me to work 6 days, but I refused. I probably averaged 10 hours a day, including all the nonsense. Talking to some of the techs now, its less, but they also receiver less work. I also had some of the poorer routing from being so far away. In those 9 months, i think I brought in around 28k. 6k of that went to materials. I probably spent another 6k on fuel. Then another 3k on truck repairs from driving so much. I was also fitting in some commercial work when I could and thats the only thing that saved me. Now granted I could have worked for the HSP, but I would have lost a lot of freedom and deal with a lot of headaches.

I don't know what they do with the old cable, but they probably throw it away. You really can't resell it as the lengths are too short.

Like mentioned before, there are more bad than good companies it seems. I believe I have found a good one now and I gross 2500ish every two weeks. But I love to work and do work plenty. This is one of my favorite jobs, but I won't do this forever. Definitely need an exit strategy in place.

FYI. If you get satellite and network skills some are paying $154k overseas.

How do you find a good one? How much hours are you working for two weeks when you gross 2500ish?
How do you get the 154k jobs, in what countries? How do you get the skills needed for 150+k job?

I worked for a "bad" one and new it's competitors. When the "bad" one lost their contract I walked on at my current "good" one. Its a smaller local place.

I said 2500, that's during the good times, march - oct. Nov - Jan it's about half that.

Learn the job, learn to do it the correct way, be anal with your work, then learn to get fast. Your boss (if he is good) will help you make the money you want.

Gross of 2500 also is my check. There are other ways of making money while doing this job. Wall drops $50, pole mount $75, sled mounts $100 (cost you $55 :( ), side walk bore $30+, mirror the tv $40.

Sorry, forgot some

10-14 hour days are not uncommon. But like I said, I like to work. Not many really do.

And the overseas job was a company called Proactiv communications (90% sure that's the name). Customer I installed works the and told me about them hiring. I have no networking experience so I had to pass.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts