What audio formats is DISH network currently supporting?

SouthRider

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Covington, La
My home flooded last spring, and during the rebuild we decided to not go back with floor speakers or credenza full of equipment.

So now I have a new 7.1.4 Golden Ear Atmos system with front speakers wall mounted and the other 8 in the ceiling. The new pioneer 11 channel receiver is now in a pull out rack installed in the A/C return plenum.

I am having trouble finding any identifying info about audio content on DISH shows & movies other than some that say "5.1".

Is DISH currently broadcasting any content that was created in any other formats?

IE: 7.1, 9.1, Atmos, DTS-X, or Auro.

If they are - how can I find them?

I know that these are new, and that content is still scarce, but so far I can't find any, and movies have been created with ATMOS for a few years now.

Thanx

That also said, something is wrong with the Comedy Central feed to where it's single channel audio only. Would be nice to get that fixed somehow.

Reactions: Stormy_2021
My home flooded last spring, and during the rebuild we decided to not go back with floor speakers or credenza full of equipment.

So now I have a new 7.1.4 Golden Ear Atmos system with front speakers wall mounted and the other 8 in the ceiling. The new pioneer 11 channel receiver is now in a pull out rack installed in the A/C return plenum.

I am having trouble finding any identifying info about audio content on DISH shows & movies other than some that say "5.1".

Is DISH currently broadcasting any content that was created in any other formats?

IE: 7.1, 9.1, Atmos, DTS-X, or Auro.

If they are - how can I find them?

I know that these are new, and that content is still scarce, but so far I can't find any, and movies have been created with ATMOS for a few years now.

Thanx
I did not think anything was broadcast in the other formats you list?

You are only going to see DD2.0 or DD5.1 on HD channels and PCM 2.0 on most SD channels. The only exception I ever saw to this on Dish was CNN. For some reason my Onkyo AVR used to show Dolby Digital EX (6.1) on it's display when I watched that channel. I thought it might just be Dish or CNN testing something at the time since everything on CNN still seemed to be in stereo even though it was tagged as 6.1.

Just to make sure I wasn't crazy I googled this and it looks like CNN was doing this on all providers, not just Dish. I know it displays as standard DD5.1 on my Charter system now so I'm guessing CNN stopped whatever it was they were doing.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/6-1-audio-output-in-my-vip722.333693/

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/1522495-cnn-6-1-dolby-digital.html

The reason I bring this up is because it looks like it is possible for channels to go to at least 6.1 if they wanted to. None of them do though and just about everything broadcast on cable channels would be mixed as 5.1 anyways except for some movies on the premium channels.

Reactions: Tampa8
If it's a feed issue between Comedy Central and Dish, Dish can escalate the issue to Viacom though. Because it's not a problem that exists on other providers.
Is that something that is known, that it's only on DISH? If so it would certainly point to what you said, their specific link.

Is that something that is known, that it's only on DISH? If so it would certainly point to what you said, their specific link.

Tested on Fios last month. Tested on DirecTV this month. Could probably try on Comcast in December. Something is wrong with the feed to Dish and Dish alone.

Reactions: Tampa8
Speaking of Comedy Central audio, I have noticed audio dropouts lately, specifically on the Daily Show. About 5 or 6 momentary audio dropouts per show and it's been happening for a few weeks now. No picture issues, sat signal is strong, and it's not where they bleep out profanity as they but in a tone for that. Has anyone else noticed this?

Reactions: Stormy_2021
Yep...
The audio dropouts are on many different channels...
I noticed that my Pioneer receiver has to reestablish an audio connection (it's display shows the changes) after each dropout, if the audio signal is a dolby digital stream...
TNT, USA, and SYFY HD feeds are examples...

The SD west coast feed of Cartoon network is the worst offender... and their audio is a pcm stream...
Chiller is another one...

I could go on, but you get the idea...

Hey Stormy,

I think this problem on Comedy Central has been resolved! Would you please confirm on your end?

Thanks!

Hey Stormy,
I think this problem on Comedy Central has been resolved! Would you please confirm on your end?
Hi flea,
Just read your request and checked CC...

At 2:10am (Eastern), CC is broadcasting an Amy Schumer standup in Dolby 2.0... which is better than just the center channel being broadcast :).

Will check out it out later to see if CC is broadcasting a 5.1 signal...

EDIT at 3:15am...

Yep, I'm seeing a 5.1 broadcast... woot!
Hopefully, this "correction" will last...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)