Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
No this isnt going to be a girls book club :) I have decided to start reading again (I use to try and read a book a week) I am starting out with a series that some consider kids books, but I think this series is very well writte..The chronicles of Narnia. I have Grapes of wrath lined up after that. So what Books are you reading?

the innocent man: john grisham
sound and fury: about ali & cowsell
my favorite writer is john irving. if you have not read him i would start with THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP or A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY

and of course penthouse letters!!

Tom Clancy books.

My favorites
  • Patriot Games
  • Clear and Present Danger
  • Rainbow Six
  • The Hunt for Red October

Stephen King books

my favorites
  • Carrie
  • Dreamcatcher
  • The Shining
  • Firestarter
  • Christine
  • Dolores Claiborne

Well Im a fan of fantasy and scifi mostly so my new favorite is Naomi Novik, she has a series of books centered around a dragon and his companion during the napoleonic wars that is very well written. If not for the addition of dragons in the books the story line would be a good historical fiction series but the writer has put in place dragons of varied types and varied inteligence and social standings.

This is a link to her site where you will find the books listed as well as a few short stories that go along with the books. Definitely a good read and a fresh change on the use of dragons in fantasy books and clean enough for kids to read yet mature enough for adults to enjoy.

Another writer whom I have been waiting on for a few years to finish that last book in a series is Melanie Rawn, again another writer in the fashion of fantasy who has written a series called " The Exiles ". It deals with a kingdom besieged and the near total destruction of a family with only the children surviving. Her books tend to be in the 700 - 900 page range and may come across as long winded at a few points but its a good series.

A link to her site. She has other book's and series and has coauthored with other writers as well.

My favorite author of scifi has been Andre Norton and the book that stands out the most is "Zero Stone" wich is a great story about survival on an alien world. This is another book I recommend, its out of print but used book stores are your best bet to find this one or amazon.com.

When I was in the 5th or 6th grade I wrote to and received a reply from Andre Norton... (I was reading at High School level then) she was one of my favorite author's back then along with Arthur C. Clarke, Ray Bradbury and others...

When I was in the 5th or 6th grade I wrote to and received a reply from Andre Norton... (I was reading at High School level then) she was one of my favorite author's back then along with Arthur C. Clarke, Ray Bradbury and others...

Too funny that you mention Andre. I used to totally get in her Witchworld stuff.

Currently revisiting the past and re-reading the "Thomas Covenant Chronicles" by Stephen Donaldson. Been since the early 80's/highschool since I read those books. Rather enthused that there's a new trilogy being released.

And for the record, I think most people that grew up reading sci-fi and fantasy usually read at a higher level than their classmates. :)

Good ole' Alice Mary.

If you like dragons, try Anne McCaffrey.

And for more general Sci Fi, all of Robert Heinlein, may he RIP.

Speaking of books, I stayed home from my wifes grandparents today, to watch the steelers, and She brings me home a christmas present-Marley and me, add another book to my list, also seems like alot of people are into fantasy books here

Actually, I prefer Science Fiction to Science Fantasy. But there is some crossover.

Actually, I prefer Science Fiction to Science Fantasy. But there is some crossover.
Me too, and Heinlen was on my list along with Jack Vance and other scifi authors that escape me right now.
Westerns, I started with Zane Grey migrated to Louis L Amour and as stated to the late Terry C. Johnston's Mt Man and then Seamus Donegon series...

Stuart, what genre do you like best? I just finished "The Godfather" and it was great. It's my favorite movie, and I never read it until now. I'm a big sci fi fan, and Jules Verne is my favorite adventure/sci fi writers. "The Mysterious Island" by him is excellent, and my favorite book by him. "Journey to the Center of the Earth", "Around the World in 80 Days", "20,000 League Under the Sea" are also very good.

I just finished iWoz, the autobiography of Steven Wozniak, which had some fascinating stuff in it from when I was just getting into computers and he was designing them. It's interesting to see that he is very down on the team design concept, preferring to be the artful engineer.

When I was in school the 2 books I had to read that I really enjoyed was The Outsiders and That was then this is now by S.E. Hinton.

I really cant say I prefer one over the other right now, If it is really well written with a good story I have usually read it straight through, there has been one book that I havent finished in my whole life, and I forget what it was, if I think of it I will edit this thread, by the way, I am loving this chronicles of narnia series!

Status
Not open for further replies.