What can we expect from Dish at CES?

How 'bout expanding the CUI...

...to do what the non CUI HWS can do today - share tuners between two HWS, have 4x fwd and 2 slow mo fwd and reverse speeds?

Well, I did say it is unfortunate the good broadband speeds are not available in all parts of this country. Perhaps, I should have said "Assuming the broadband availability magically improves over the next 2-3 years, streaming and on demand platforms would be the future"

Well, I did say it is unfortunate the good broadband speeds are not available in all parts of this country. Perhaps, I should have said "Assuming the broadband availability magically improves over the next 2-3 years, streaming and on demand platforms would be the future"
true very true alot of rural areas in this country does not still have any internet or is sometime slow enough you cannot do anything with us where we live we only have two choices for internet frontier and mediacom if you get closer to the chicago area you get comcast and other choices to choose from.

It would be nice if AT&T or Verizon did build out a 4G/5G network that really covered the whole USA and was fast, reasonably priced, and had very high or unlimited data caps. "If" that ever happened, then, streaming/OTT/On-Demand would prevail and there would be little or no need for DBS as we know it now.
However, they (AT&T/Verizon) are not going to do a build out such as that, and would never let it happen if some huge "Magic Broadband Company" were to come along with the funds, the spectrum, and the ability to do it, they'd tie them up in all kinds of lawsuits and other legal shenanigans so they (AT&T/Verizon) can keep their toehold on the wireless broadband industry, charge the rates they want, and exempt their data caps for their own content, when they are supposed to be treated like a common carrier with net neutrality, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Except that huge sections of the country with millions of people do not have any expectation of fast unlimited internet anytime soon, much less 2 or 3 years. I can just imagine how fast our internet would need to be to support the 5 people here watching different HD or 4K streams at the same time. That kind of internet is decades and a lot of money away if it ever arrives out here in the country.

No matter what the city people think satellite is going to be around for a long time.
You sound like someone back in the 1800's who had no electricity or Telco service..broadband will be subsidized and available to everyone

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

You sound like someone back in the 1800's who had no electricity or Telco service..broadband will be subsidized and available to everyone

The OP said that satellites would be obsolete in 2 to 3 years. That's just BS and that's what I said. Maybe in several decades there might be high speed internet available to everyone that might support multiple streams of HD, 4K or HoloTV but it will most likely be more expensive than satellite is now.

I'd bet that you remember those folks in the 1800's first hand. You probably telegraphed your contradictory arguments mixed with your bright and sunny commentary every chance you got.

The OP said that satellites would be obsolete in 2 to 3 years. That's just BS and that's what I said. Maybe in several decades there might be high speed internet available to everyone that might support multiple streams of HD, 4K or HoloTV but it will most likely be more expensive than satellite.

I'd bet that you remember those folks in the 1800's first hand. You probably telegraphed your contradictory arguments mixed with your condescending commentary every chance you got.
Why ofcourse!@@!...High speed Internet is going to be common for a number of different reasons...as far as satellites..2 party phone lines are still around..so yes they are here for our lifetime

We have GREAT internet here.... 300 Mbps service for $79 a month, but it looks like soon we won't be able to use it...

COX has cut our non enforced data cap from 2 TB a month down to 1 TB a month. And in some areas they are starting to enforce the cap, you have to pay $10 per 50 GB of data you go over the 1 TB cap.

The only reason I moved to their ultimate package was because it had a 2 TB cap as my kids were going over the 1TB cap.

Sure 300 Mbps service is great but in reality the only place you get it is when you do speed tests. No website is faster then it was before the speed upgrade.

Sad part is they are the only game in town, unless I want to drop down to 6 Mbps DSL. No thanks.

Sure 300 Mbps service is great but in reality the only place you get it is when you do speed tests. No website is faster then it was before the speed upgrade.
Too bad not enough people believe that. There really is a limit to what is practically necessary. People talk about how many computers they have in their house, smartphones, tablets, TVs and similar with Netflix but no one is pulling a large amount of bandwidth 24/7 like they think they do. We switched from 15 Mb/s to 50 Mb/s and no one in the house noticed.

I dropped from 50mb service to 25mb service and noticed a slight slowdown, especially when streaming HD from the Roku and multiple phones/computers connected.

Reactions: Tampa8
We just dropped down from 50 to 25 with Charter because they raised their rates quite alot. If I am streaming with my Slingbox (Not local streaming) you can tell if you try to stream from Youtube or somewhere with a laptop and/or if using the Echo to stream music. Pages with video commercials that start when you load the page load slower. Echo will actually break up or stutter music sometimes. Never even considered what we were using with 50Mb.

Where I live, electricity wasn't available until 1949, I remember my grandfather saying. They started forming the electric coop in the early 40's, but the war broke out, and of course, all supplies and manpower were dedicated to it, so it was a few years after the war when they finally got electric service to the rural areas around here, unless you lived in "town." I think that telephone came around before electricity did. They've been saying that BS about a REA for broadband for years now, it ain't gonna happen. CenturyLink (the piece of $hit company that is the only provider for me) got over $500,000,000 from the government (CAF II) to "expand" broadband to rural areas, they do nothing but get the bare minimum service to you, and then oversell it and starve it for bandwidth to where it hardly works at peak times. That's why I have HughesNet as a backup to just be able to "surf" the internet in the evenings.

Reactions: JSheridan
While I have never used a high speed service like that, I have always thought that over a certain level of speed, it is all just "marketing" for most content. Sounds like that is correct from what your saying.

Sad part is they are the only game in town, unless I want to drop down to 6 Mbps DSL. No thanks.
I'd love to be able to get your "drop down" speed of 6Mbps :)

wonder what time frame elon musks satellite internet will be avalable?

large quanties of small low cost satellites in low orbit.

large quanties of small low cost satellites in low orbit.
and how would that work, exactly? geostationary orbits are at a specific altitude (26K miles, IIRC) and only at the equator. Any low-orbit satellites would circle the globe faster than the rotation of the earth and not remain within the confines of the US. There would have to be thousands of satellites in orbit to ensure complete coverage over the US at any given time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)