What can you use to receive and stream satellite TV over a local network?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
Here is my situation. I have two C-band dishes (one motorized, one fixed) plus a couple of Ku-band dishes, though I doubt the Ku's will be helpful for what I want. I mentioned what it is I'm trying to receive on the private forum so I won't repeat that here. But what I do want to know is if there is anything available that has the following features:

- Will receive satellite TV, preferably in many formats (including 4:2:2 if possible), and stream it or otherwise make it available to computers on the local network. If it can be used as a source in MythTV, that would be ideal.

- Can be set up and used by someone who is not a total computer nerd. Let me put it this way - when it comes to Linux I am okay with installing software from the Ubuntu app store, or using Synaptic, or even apt-get from the command line. I am not okay with compiling software. I am definitely not okay with patching someone else's software to try to get it to work.

- Preferably can receive multiple streams (at least two) at once.

- Preferably can in some way move the dish, although I am not yet sure how necessary that will actually be.

- Can control a DiSEqC and 22 kHz tone switch (or has some other way to select from multiple inputs).

- Can blind scan for signals

In other words, I am basically looking for something a bit similar to a HDHomeRun device (which is what I use now for OTA signals) but failing that, a receiver that includes some sort of backend that can be accessed by XBMC (which is the frontend I use) would work as well. I actually prefer a standalone receiver provided it can stream programming over the network, simply because I am less out of my element. My second choice would be a USB-connected device that would stream to the MythTV backend, and my third choice would be a card that must be plugged into a computer (right now I am using a repurposed Mac Mini as my backend, and it doesn't have card slots).

In the case of a standalone receiver, I guess I would consider an alternative that did not do live streaming, but that did record the programs to a hard drive that was also accessible via the local network, if the recorded programs were in a format that XBMC could access and play. But with a standalone receiver, I also need the ability to schedule recordings and perform other maintenance from another computer on the network. This is because there is actually no TV where there receiver would be located - the whole point is to steam or record satellite programming for playback on other computers on the same local network.

The thing that I have heard about that seemed to come closest to what I wanted was the TBS MOI, but it seems that the people who have purchased one are not overly enthused about it, plus I see a lot of comments to the effect that if you use somebody or other's special firmware compiled with certain options under a full moon at low tide, it might work the way you want. That sort of thing goes completely over my head, at least at this point in time. But if someone here has purchased one and it is working great for you (especially with XBMC), I'd like to hear your experience. And if there are better devices that would do what I want and be far less hassle to set up, I'd be even more interested to hear about those.

The main thing is that while I would like to get back into FTA satellite, I mainly want to be able to record shows and then play them back later on computers or tablets in my home. I am not in the slightest interested in the old model, where you hook up a single receiver to a single TV, and can only watch satellite TV in that room, or schedule recordings using only the receiver's remote control. I still would like to be able to receive wildfeeds and such, but that is a secondary consideration at the moment.

Is there any chance of getting what I'm looking for, or is local networking pretty much still a foreign concept to the receiver makers?

WOWSER! That's a lot to ask for.

You are dealing with a market where they typically release sat receivers that barely work 50% of what is promised at launch. Then, they typically spend 1 FULL year tweaking and releasing firmware after firmware until they get it close to right. Trouble is, maybe 2 out of every 10 receivers released ever get fixed to where they are usable 100%. I'm unaware of any product that can do 50% of what you are asking for. I do remember a posting in the last year for a streaming receiver that was going to come out, so I'll try to find it.

You will never find one that will do everything you are looking for, and nobody is likely to ever build one such as that unfotunately. The market just isn't there in the US, where the pay providers have just about everything locked down as tight as they can get it.

I've asked for a decent FTA receiver that'll record shows locally, and make those recordings available on my LAN.
Far less demanding than your kitchen sink wish list.
Dont think anything comes close. :(
In previous posts by Pendragon, it sounded like he had put together a system that would suit your needs.
It was most unique and advanced.
Maybe you could get a few ideas from him, though it will violate some of your requirements on the technical end. ;)

I'm unaware of any product that can do 50% of what you are asking for. I do remember a posting in the last year for a streaming receiver that was going to come out, so I'll try to find it.

Well, that's discouraging. :(

If you are thinking of an actual receiver, I have not heard of that one so would be interested if you can find it. If you are thinking of the TBS MOI, then the thread on that was here, and it was not exactly encouraging:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/303408-A-new-DVB-S2-receiver-similar-in-concept-to-a-HDHomeRun

I've asked for a decent FTA receiver that'll record shows locally, and make those recordings available on my LAN.
Far less demanding than your kitchen sink wish list.
Dont think anything comes close. :(

I'd settle for that if all else failed. Just can't understand why satellite equipment manufacturers seem stuck in the 90's. I mean seriously, they can do HD (more or less) but can't figure out how to stream recordings to a network?
In previous posts by Pendragon, it sounded like he had put together a system that would suit your needs.
It was most unique and advanced.
Maybe you could get a few ideas from him, though it will violate some of your requirements on the technical end. ;)

Either the search function is broken, or he hasn't posted anything since last December (actually, I think both are true).

Well, that's discouraging. :(

If you are thinking of an actual receiver, I have not heard of that one so would be interested if you can find it. If you are thinking of the TBS MOI, then the thread on that was here, and it was not exactly encouraging:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/303408-A-new-DVB-S2-receiver-similar-in-concept-to-a-HDHomeRun

Yup! That's the one. Pendragon is still around and is fairly active, just not all that active on this forum. He tends to come around when somebody invokes his name though, lol.

It isn't that the manufacturers can't figure out how to do all that you ask for, it's that there is NO paying market for what you ask for, so they won't build it. The average US end-user is a drone, and is just not ever going to buy something like that. The future for better or worse, is the internet, with those sorts of devices and content. With that, you may have a chance of putting together something that you can live with. But it won't be off the shelf, and you will have to go it alone from all you can glean from here and other forums.

Last edited:
You can probably count on one hand, the number of us with a Silicon Dust HD HomeRun dual OTA tuner.
edit: laptop with Windows Vista Home does the recording on USB external drive shared on LAN.
More of us have media players.
I use an older Western Digital.
Also good for Netflix, YouTube, etc.
But not everyone is looking for such a system.
I'm pretty sure 80-90% of FTAers have one dish, one receiver, one TV, and no motor. :(
Yes, it's 1990!
The members here are more diverse, of course. ;)
?.

Last edited:
FWIW - I don't have an STB in the house. I run all my sat through a USB Tuner into a PC then multicast it out through my home network to be accessed on other PC's/droid tablets. I use SmartDVB for multicasting/blindscanning. Also if you are handy you can re-encode the stream and watch away from home. While I am at work I RDP into my home machine, control the dish and stream the channel to the office. I don't use myth, basically just VLC and MX Player on the androids. For cable I have TWC and an HDHomerun prime. It pumps into my Windows MCE and I also use and XBOX360 as an extender for another room. I pay only ~$50 a month for cableTV because I dont pay the crazy DVR Rental fees. Like I said, I don't use myth, but I'm sure there is a way to grab that multicast stream and bring it into myth, but you wouldn't have the control, just the stream.

Cheers
:computerwindow:

I'm not sure there is any one device now or in the near future that will do everything, especially with FTA as the source.

For my two sat boxes currently in active use*, I modulate them so they can be seen on old CRTs connected by cable in other parts of the house. Output from a Shaw Direct 600 box gets sent out on Channel 3 and output from my Coolsat 8100 (OTA and FTA) is sent out through a Holland Modulator.

I'm one of that handful of guys who does have a HDHomeRun which I use with EyeTV to record OTA. I can also take the live signal and output to iDevices in the house if I want over wireless.

With Mac's, PCs, Apple TVs, iDevices, digital TVs, analog CRTS, etc. I've got so many different gadgets around the house I've lost track of how many different ways I can send/receive media.

*(active use means - don't mess with them without telling the wife)

Ok, let's break down the requirements on a list as it appears the AzBox miniMe American Edition meets most of your requirements.

- Will receive satellite TV, preferably in many formats (including 4:2:2 if possible).
The AzBox miniMe American Edition supports all common formats with DVB-S QPSK, DVB-S2 QPSK and DVB-S2 8PSK modulations including 4:2:2.

- Stream it or otherwise make it available to computers on the local network.
The built-in web interface allows you to change and view a channel with computers on your local network via their web browser. A link is also provided to view the stream on VLC if desired. Sorry, no MythTV backend support yet at this time but I will add it on our list of enhancement requests. However, as the miniMe was designed to be a frontend and not a backend, this won't be a high priority item.

- Can be set up and used by someone who is not a total computer nerd.
The AzBox miniMe American Edition comes ready for use out of the box and can be upgraded easily directly from the receiver if connected to the Internet or via USB. No computer nerd degree required. :D

- Preferably can receive multiple streams (at least two) at once.
Multiple computers can view the channel stream at the same time but the maximum amount of clients depends on the channel's bitrate as each extra client adds a certain amount of CPU usage on the device. Once you have too many clients connected, the stream will start breaking up on all computers as the miniMe's processor can't keep up anymore. An interesting feature is that you are able to stream a channel on your computer and view a different channel on your TV at the same time if it's on the same MUX.

- Preferably can in some way move the dish, although I am not yet sure how necessary that will actually be.
The AzBox miniMe American Edition has full USALS and DiSEqC 1.2 support.

- Can control a DiSEqC and 22 kHz tone switch (or has some other way to select from multiple inputs).
No issues here with full DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1 and 22kHz switch support.

- Can blind scan for signals
No issues here either!

In the case of a standalone receiver, I guess I would consider an alternative that did not do live streaming, but that did record the programs to a hard drive that was also accessible via the local network, if the recorded programs were in a format that XBMC could access and play.
Assuming your LAN network is 100Mbps, you can also record directly to a server or NAS drive on your LAN as long as it is configured as an NFS share. Unsure what formats XBMC supports but I do know that the recordings can be played back on VLC.

But with a standalone receiver, I also need the ability to schedule recordings and perform other maintenance from another computer on the network. This is because there is actually no TV where there receiver would be located - the whole point is to steam or record satellite programming for playback on other computers on the same local network. The AzBox miniMe American Edition's webinterface allows for recording timers to be configured by any network client.

Best regards,

Last edited:
I would suggest you use a solid FTA STB (microHD or similar) and then connect it to a capture card on a PC using component or S-video connections. You would then be able to use a program like Hauppauge WinTV Extend (Windows) to control the STB via an IR Blaster. WinTV extend has the added bonus of being able to stream live TV over a LAN or over the Internet (re-encodes the video to save bandwidth). You could then configure WinTV to record programming to a shared drive and access the recordings on any one device.

Alternatively, like Tron suggested, stick a couple of DVB-S2 tuner cards in a PC. Then use a program like NextPVR (also Windows) to stream the live video over your network.

I'm pretty sure that Windows Media Center supports satellite TV as a source and will stream to an X-Box 360 as an extender. I doubt you could get it to work with an XBMC front-end though. I use a Media Center pc with two Hauppauge HVR-1600's [NOT satellite, ATSC OTA] to wirelessly stream my ant. channels about 300' over to my parents house next door. They're in their eighties and have no problem using it, might be worth looking into to. Of course you'd have to buy a card [or two, if more than one user was to watch tv at the same time, or watch and record at the same time] and the dvr-ms and wtv formats that it records in don't play on much anything else unless you transcode them. I was using MYTH TV years ago to do this for them but like you'd mentioned, I had to compile drivers for the tuner cards and do a lot of work to the wireless drivers and they had a hard time using the Myth front-end, I was constantly having to mess with it. I didn't like Myth's database back then either, MySql was a PITA, I don't know if it's better now. The win 7 MC version is better than Vista by a long shot and the MCE 2005, [XP], is pretty much useless now, it doesn't support ATSC or HD. I have Win 8 but haven't tried that one yet, so I don't know about 8. I've never tried the satellite source on MC but it might be worth looking into, as much as I hate windows it's the best and easiest solution for my parents to use that I've found for them to share our ant. stations.

Pwrsurge,

Have you been able to share with windows computers yet, or still just linux?

Thanks, Catamount

Only NFS which comes built-in with Linux and MacOS works for file sharing at the moment. However, support for SMB sharing (i.e. Windows sharing) will be implemented in a future firmware update. In the meantime, you may install an NFS server such as FreeNFS or HaneWin on your Windows machine in order to allow access to your shared files from the AzBox miniMe American Edition.

Best regards,

Last edited:
FWIW - I don't have an STB in the house. I run all my sat through a USB Tuner into a PC then multicast it out through my home network to be accessed on other PC's/droid tablets. I use SmartDVB for multicasting/blindscanning. Also if you are handy you can re-encode the stream and watch away from home. While I am at work I RDP into my home machine, control the dish and stream the channel to the office. I don't use myth, basically just VLC and MX Player on the androids. For cable I have TWC and an HDHomerun prime. It pumps into my Windows MCE and I also use and XBOX360 as an extender for another room. I pay only ~$50 a month for cableTV because I dont pay the crazy DVR Rental fees. Like I said, I don't use myth, but I'm sure there is a way to grab that multicast stream and bring it into myth, but you wouldn't have the control, just the stream.

Thanks for the comment.

This sounds very close to what I would like to do, but are there any instructions online anywhere that show how to create such a sertup? I don't have cable here; my HDHomeRun is strictly for OTA channels but we live in a poor reception area (almost right on the border between two TV "marketing areas") and only get decent reception on two of the major networks.

The reason I mentioned MythTV specifically is because I already have a backend set up for use with the HDHomeRun, but right now it's running on a repurposed Mac Mini (now running Linux) so it has no card slots. I suppose that if push came to shove I could move that setup into a computer with card slots, and I find that there are even some tuner cards that are supposed to be compatible with MythTV (listed at http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S2_PCI_Cards for PCI cards and http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S2_PCIe_Cards for PCIe cards). What I dislike about going that route, besides having to build or buy a whole new computer for the purpose, is that first of all I know nothing about those cards or their capabilities (and in particular, which ones could bring in the CBS 4:2:2 mux without any issues). And second, I have a feeling they are not going to just work out of the box. If I thought for a moment that I could install Mythbuntu on a computer, with a particular DVB-S2 card hooked up, and that the MythTV backend would just recognize it and let me configure it without having to search for drivers and pulling my hair out for days or weeks trying to figure out why it won't work, I'd be more inclined to jump on it. But I have yet to find anyone who had done that.

The computers we want to feed the signal to have a nVidia graphics system, and that cannot be changed without replacing the computer (no slots on those either). I mention it because XBMC and the MythTV frontend use the nVidia graphics to the fullest, and play video files and streams quite smoothly. VLC will play some streams but it is a lot less smooth, particularly if you go full screen. Web browser video is impossible; it looks like a slide show with audio. So that's why I am rather partial to playing whatever a card or receiver might create in one of those pieces of software. If the MythTV backend can recognize a source then I should have no issues with it, since the MythTV frontends should play it.

Last edited:
I believe the best solution would be a custom built PC with DVB-S2 card(s).

See my previous response. It's not that I am totally against the idea, it's just that I have no confidence in my ability to make it work, at least not in any reasonable timeframe. My suspicion is that even if I had one it would take me weeks or months to figure out how to make it work the way we want it to, particularly since I have yet to find any good clear instructions for creating this type of setup. And, I don't know which cards will receive 4:2:2 reliably. Plus there is also the issue of whether they will control DiSEqC and tone switches, etc. It's kind of like jumping into the great unknown!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)