What could be causing this?

jessshaun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Robinson, Illinois, United States
I just upgraded from AT100 to Dish DVR advantage, and (while this isn't a channel I would want anyway) I noticed that channel 197 didn't come in at all (Aquiring sat signal). Did a check switch, and everything is ok. Then out of curiosity I looked up channel 197 on the Dish Channel Chart and noticed that it is on Sat 110 Trans. 3.

I can pick up nothing from 110 Trans. 3. 0 signal strength. Everything else on 110 and 119 is fine.

After spending 1/2 an hour on the phone and realizing that stupid me didn't try System info first, it detected an error and listed all kinds of signal losses. There's no trees in the way or anything like that. I am relatively new to Satellite (had Dish for 2 years), and have learned what little I do know from Sat guys.

Could the dish just be out of allignment? Or is it something more serious?

I have a tech coming tomorrow between 12 and 5, but I just wanted opinions.

Sounds like it is a bad LNB. Does it show "drift detected"? And if so, what is the number beside it?

nope. It just said something was blocking the signal and listed the usual things to check.

The usual foliage, ice or rain on dish, weather... blah, blah, blah.

I wondered about that possibility, however, after the test showed only 2 satellite connections and third (105, which isn't needed anymore anyway) showed not connected. I would look at the dish myself, but it's on the roof.

Still sounds like an LNB problem. See what your tech says tomorrow, but I would suspect it's at the dish. If you have any other receivers in the system you can check them too and see if the problem is system wide, or just in that one location. That will help you as well as the tech figure out what may be going on.

Dish was out of alignment. Our house is owned by our neighbors (wife's parents), and when they subscribed to Dish, the installer couldn't find a clear line of sight from their property. (Too many trees in the area) So they used our dish. When they ran a line from our dish on the roof to their house, they didn't tie the line down and there was alot of pressure on the line, and that was slowly pushing our dish out of alignment.

I thought the tech was going to kill the installer. LOL! He went up on the roof and said, "Who the He** did this?!" I told him it was the guys here in town. He tied the cables down to take some of the pressure off the switch and the dish, realigned the dish, and all was good.

I should go yell at the idiots in wolfe's myself.... After that I almost want to anyway.

Our signal strength went from about 50 to around 100 on 110 and 119.

Amazing. Although not surprising. I've seen some pretty f*ed up stuff that installers have done. Everyone from local retailers to DNS themselves.