Hacking Seen this Morning

Youtah-Doug

Original poster
Feb 22, 2024
St. George, UT 84770
Just a heads up.
Dish System: This morning I saw two incidents where channels were changed by something that looks like hacking. In the lower right corner a small dialog box opened saying "USB Loading". A few minutes later the channel changed and a larger dial box overlayed the screen. This one said something to the effect of "USB Loaded". Then the dialog box disappeared leaving just the changed channel. I have nothing connected to USB on the Dish System.

To me this looks like some hacker trying to enter the system via of a corrupted USB driver. About the same time I received a notification warning on my phone about suspicious activity on Hopper from a URL in Poland. This also co-insides with the AT&T outage this AM.

Just a heads up.
Dish System: This morning I saw two incidents where channels were changed by something that looks like hacking. In the lower right corner a small dialog box opened saying "USB Loading". A few minutes later the channel changed and a larger dial box overlayed the screen. This one said something to the effect of "USB Loaded". Then the dialog box disappeared leaving just the changed channel. I have nothing connected to USB on the Dish System.

To me this looks like some hacker trying to enter the system via of a corrupted USB driver. About the same time I received a notification warning on my phone about suspicious activity on Hopper from a URL in Poland. This also co-insides with the AT&T outage this AM.
Do you live in an apartment house, or real close to somebody else that might have an RF remote? Neighbors accidentally controlling another persons receiver along with their own has been known to happen.

Do you live in an apartment house, or real close to somebody else that might have an RF remote? Neighbors accidentally controlling another persons receiver along with their own has been known to happen.
Interesting thought. Our home of 20 years is a single family home with enough property around to make that unlikely. What frequencies are RF remotes? And I wonder why something like that would invoke a USB app/driver inside a Dish System. I will keep monitoring this to see if this occurs again.

The Washington Post recently had an article on the increase in Russian and Chinese penetration activity. They apparently attack and modify certain device drivers to later gain control of systems for a later concerted attack. Thanks for your thoughts.

Reactions: charlesrshell
This may not be associated with DISH at all. I get messages some times from my Sony TV which are overlaid on the DISH programming, often when the TV loses wifi connection. Do you have any usb devices plugged into the TV? Remember, just because they call it a smart TV doesn't mean...................

That doesn’t explain the USB Loading.
I agree it’s a hack. More people need to look into vpn’s at the source, your routers. Me included.

Bit late for a reply, but maybe your network is compromised. I don’t see my Dish box if I do a scan from the Internet, so I would think you would have get inside to hack the box. Could be something mundane too I suppose.