What could cause this? ota cbs works on one receiver, not another

obba

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
Got 2 receivers. One can receive 46 (cbs in atl, ga). The other one can not.

After CSI:NY I'm going to switch ota modules and see what happens.

I've tried front resetting it, I've tried unplugging in, take out the ota part, stick it back in. No-go on this channel, all others work though. But happily in the other room, 46 is working great.

I have had problems with ota in the past, but its been working for a good while, 3-4 months.

Any ideas except to try switching ota modules to determine what part it is (receiver or module)?

EDIT: Tried to rescan ota, didn't detect the channel.

The only ? I would have, is how much farther is one reciever from the dish/ant.? The farther away, the less signal level there is. I've had this problem a bit when the OTA signal was just so-so. This might be the poblem if the one with the problem is the fathest away & the signal is around 80. Your ant. might have to be readjusted a bit.

The receiver that works actually got the longest cable run. I didnt have time to switch ota modules last night. Will do this afternoon.

Before changing OTA modules make sure to unplug STB so that you don't short circuit anything.

You can also do the following:

1 - If you have a diplexor installed, outside the house change the cabling for the outputs. There is a possibility of bad cable or a bad output out of the diplexor.

or

you can change receivers. Put the good receiver in the place where you cannot get the OTA channels and see what happens.

Sean Mota said:
Before changing OTA modules make sure to unplug STB so that you don't short circuit anything.

You can also do the following:

1 - If you have a diplexor installed, outside the house change the cabling for the outputs. There is a possibility of bad cable or a bad output out of the diplexor.

or

you can change receivers. Put the good receiver in the place where you cannot get the OTA channels and see what happens.
Yea, i will unplug them. I have done it multiple times before when i had ota problems on the initial install.

The diplexer is inside, but its one of those gold colored small ones, not the ones that had the problems reported in what... april/may.

Good idea about moving the boxes, will try it after i try switching the module. (easier :D)

Now I just gotta find the time to do all of this :)

Don't bother going through all that work. Call voom and have an installer come out and replace the diplexor. I had the same thing happen, except i eventually lost all my local channels on 1 receiver. He replaced the diplexor and it's worked ever since.

One more theory or possibility. I am not an expert of the STB, but I can come up with great theories.

Maybe one box scanned channels first, found CBS, then your CBS broadcaster had a PSIP fart and now has corrupted PSIP. Now, your 1st box already has CBS locked in but your second one can't find it because the PSIP is corrupted/missing. 1st box just remembers that the channel should be there.

If you check signal strength on that channel, does both boxes show good strength? I am curious since you only mentioned it wouldn't lock on.

THANKS!
--Dan

I havent had time to switch around anything, but right now its working. :/

a bit weird.

I will do some more checking next time it happens, if it happens.

Thanks for all your responses, will copy them down and check next time.

If it ever stops working again I would try to switch boxes as Sean suggested. Can you get 19-1? I'm in Atlanta area too and I can get CBS on 46-1 and 19-1. I don't know why they do that but programing is the same on both channels. However, PG is available only for 46-1.
Good luck.

Conjuror said:
If it ever stops working again I would try to switch boxes as Sean suggested. Can you get 19-1? I'm in Atlanta area too and I can get CBS on 46-1 and 19-1. I don't know why they do that but programing is the same on both channels. However, PG is available only for 46-1.
Good luck.
Yep, i can get 19-1. Didnt the night(s) i had the problem though.

Does gptv have a tower in atl?

Also might want to think about times you are getting it vs not. What is the signal strength when you are getting the signal?

obba said:
Yea, i will unplug them. I have done it multiple times before when i had ota problems on the initial install.

The diplexer is inside, but its one of those gold colored small ones, not the ones that had the problems reported in what... april/may.

Good idea about moving the boxes, will try it after i try switching the module. (easier :D)

Now I just gotta find the time to do all of this :)

Clarification: The Diplexor is the coaxial connection on the back of the STB.
where both antenna cable use one connection. The small gold-colored connection with the AC plug is for your OTA antenna amplifier.

By disconnecting the diplexor and running each cable independently to its
proper connection on the back of the STB, you will increase your signal
strength on both antennas. Also antennasdirect have a variety of antennas
for various ranges.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts