What do I do in an Iffy area

mewilsie

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 12, 2007
Black Earth, WI
Here's my story, I had Dish Network come out and try to install a system for me, but they couldn't get a good enough line of sight due to a bunch of trees on my land.

I am determined to go out and try for myself on some of the fringe areas. I have a Echostar 3900 receiver from a previous set up. I was thinking of picking up a Dish 500 from Ebay, since they are fairly cheap there.

If I find I can get a signal from 110 and 119, would I be better off getting 2 dishes with single LNB's, and aiming one at 110, and the other at 119? If so, could I hook them together and how?

Finally, I'm pretty unexperienced in setting up these systems. I've seen lots of discussion about switches, and was wondering what one is for. Otherwise, I know the basics and want to try to get this to work.

Thanks for any help.

If you have that many trees that an installer wouldn't do the install... you probably will have a hard time getting a Dish500 to work.
If you really feel like trying you can get two seperate dishes and run them through a switch. Ok, and here's the lesson in dishes and switches....

First thing you need to know when buying stuff off ebay is what type of equipment you are looking for....
with the reciever you are going to use... you will have to use LEGACY equipment. Make sure not to buy DishPro equipment, as it won't work without a newer reciever or an adapter.
I would look for a couple of Dish300's with either a single or dual (not twin) lnb.
Then you need to get a SW21 switch. It has 2 inputs and 1 output... you run one wire from each dish into the switch and then out to the receiver.

Also, keep in mind that you have a limit on the distance you can go with satellite equipment. With legacy equipment you should be safe within 100-150 feet or so, but I wouldnt try to go too much farther than that...

One other addition unless you live in an area of this country where tree don't lose their leaves you might want to wait until the crowns develop. It is the water in the leaves that blocks the signal and the leafed out crown is almost always larger than the bare branches.

Here's my story, I had Dish Network come out and try to install a system for me, but they couldn't get a good enough line of sight due to a bunch of trees on my land.

I am determined to go out and try for myself on some of the fringe areas. I have a Echostar 3900 receiver from a previous set up. I was thinking of picking up a Dish 500 from Ebay, since they are fairly cheap there.

If I find I can get a signal from 110 and 119, would I be better off getting 2 dishes with single LNB's, and aiming one at 110, and the other at 119? If so, could I hook them together and how?

Finally, I'm pretty unexperienced in setting up these systems. I've seen lots of discussion about switches, and was wondering what one is for. Otherwise, I know the basics and want to try to get this to work.

Thanks for any help.
I have done two dish solutions for tree laden customers...You'll need an LNB for each Dish and a SW-21 switch to combine the sigs from both dishes.
Use one LEGACY DUAL (NOT TWIN) on each dish.....Use one SW-21 switch to combine the siganls...This is a one receiver set up...

I have done two dish solutions for tree laden customers...You'll need an LNB for each Dish and a SW-21 switch to combine the sigs from both dishes.
Use one LEGACY DUAL (NOT TWIN) on each dish.....Use one SW-21 switch to combine the siganls...This is a one receiver set up...

youre better off with dishpro for longer lead lengths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts