What do I gain by replacing my 811?

rixter67

Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
I currently have the HD package and use an OTA for the locals. Can the 811 get the HD locals that were just released? I have also read on here that folks are receiving some of the newer HD channels on the 811. Is it worth it to upgrade, for me the 811 has never failed.

Thanks

If you get your HD locals via OTA, why would you upgrade your receiver in order to get them from Dish? After all, the quality will be better via OTA as long as you are able to lock onto the signal.

E* stated all new HD channels would be MPEG-4 and can only be viewed with a new MPEG-4 receiver (211, 411, 622). Besides the ESPN2HD, UHD and the 5 VOOM channels...StarzHD, FoodHD, HGTVHD and others should (with should being the operative word) be available soon.

My HD LIL channels are available, but I watch them OTA (better quality).

RobertsD said:
Recording 3 HD locals at once :) ....

Ugh! That's enough to make me gag!

I can never find anything to watch from the networks. I can't imagine there being 3 programs airing simultaneously that I would want to record.

In the 6 months I've had my 942, I've recorded something like 6 hours total from OTA HD.

Tom Bombadil said:
I can't imagine there being 3 programs airing simultaneously (OTA HD) that I would want to record.
May 16 Tuesday @ 8 PM C.S.T. there were enough HD OTA choices to require this for me. :)

PBS Frontline: can you afford to retire
CBS The Unit
Fox House
ABC Boston Legal

Last edited:
Allin just named what 5 of the 6 hours I recorded off of OTA HD were.

I just noticed the other day that since the Olympics ended, I have only watched about 4 hours of programming from the networks.

But I'm not watching sports on the other channels that much. I love good movies and well-written programs. But the only current network program that I have found interesting is The West Wing. And as I missed the first couple of episodes, I decided to wait to catch them from the beginning. I've tried watching a number of others, including Boston Legal as I like William Shatner, but they bore me to tears. OTOH, I find both The Sopranos and Big Love from HBO to be quite good.

Reading about how much the ratings have fallen off from the networks is very understandable to me. I think we will continue to see significant erosion on network ratings.

Last edited:
Tom Bombadil said:
Ugh! That's enough to make me gag!

I can never find anything to watch from the networks. I can't imagine there being 3 programs airing simultaneously that I would want to record.

In the 6 months I've had my 942, I've recorded something like 6 hours total from OTA HD.
I work in the evenings, so I use my 942 to record at least 3 shows of the local channels a night.

I probably watch more shows from my local networks then I do from the other channels I get from Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)