What do I need to ask for?

briggs

Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Hoschton, GA
I have never had satellite, always cable - but now that I have a new plasma TV I'm really unhappy with the cable picture. My neighbors recommend dish so I'm looking into it and found this place. I have been going through pages and pages of threads but I think that asking some questions might be more efficient.

My setup is; three Tvs, one in the basement and two on the main floor. One of the Tvs on the main floor is a plasma. I would like to have a tuner at each tv, and the plasma to have dvr.

My biggest concern is that i don't want to be unprepared for dealing with the installer. I want to be sure that I don't get talked into something less than what I need or something is left undone.

So,

What do I need to ask for from the people providing the service and the installer?

Any tips would be most appreciated.

If I need to give more information just let me know.

the only one i care about getting HD on is the plasma. One other tv is HD, but if there is an additional cost to getting HD on it I would pass.

As they said above....

To get HD programming from Dish, you will be paying for a HD Programming Package, plus any add-on's such as Local Channels, Sports Package, etc... This is good for one receiver, but the good news is, whatever programming you have, they will send it to a second receiver for $5 a month. Also, all receivers on the account must have the same programming.

So if all 3 TV's may be watching something different at the same time, i.e., 3 shows, then go with a Dual Tuner HD Receiver (ViP 622) and a Single Tuner HD Receiver (ViP 211). If you will NEVER be watching but 2 programs at once, then maybe skip the 211, but you want have HD on the 2nd HDTV. Check the costs, but I believe it's $5 for a second receiver and programming.

When you decide to get them, then you may want to consider having the ViP 622 TV1 and TV2 Outputs (and maybe the ViP 211 Output) feed your home distribution system. Each Output would be on a different channel, then your other 2 TV's could watch programs that were previously recorded on the 622's hard-drive.

EDIT: As above with the 1 622 and 2 211 receivers -- This would be better if the other 2 TV's are used a lot. Then on the main TV you could record one program and watch another, or watch 2 different programs at the same time. But you should still route the outputs to the other 2 TV so they can watch recorded programs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)