What do I need to install the 622 myself?

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
I'm about the BUY the 622 and need help figuring out what I need to install it.

Here's what I currently have:
  • Two dishes on my roof. I have no idea in which direction they're pointing. All I know, when they were installed 3 or 4 years ago, I needed the second dish to get Discovery HD Theater.
  • Appearently, on the roof, there is some kind of adapter that routes both of the dishes into one RG-6 cable. Not sure of this adapter.
  • Since I have one RG-6 coming from the roof, it is routed directly behind my HDTV. It hooks into a Dish Pro box.
  • From the Dish Pro box, one RG-6 cable hooks directly into the satellite input on my 6000U.
  • With the 6000U, I can get all of the SD packs/channels and the old HD Pack (including Voom channels).

Now here's what I want to do:
  • At that HDTV, I want to replace the 6000U with the ViP 622. Since the 622 has two satellite inputs, I need to separate the satellite signal into two RG-6 cables. Do I do this before or after the Dish Pro box or does this separator replace the Dish Pro box all together?
  • I also want to move the 6000U up stairs into a bedroom (to use as an SD receiver for now). If I've only got one RG-6 coming in from the Dish on the roof, how do I route another RG-6 to the up stairs location? Perhaps I need another separator? Does this separator go before or after the Dish Pro box?
  • I also plan to put a TV in the game room. This will be TV #2 on the 622. Is this as simple as running composite and R/L RCA cables from the output on the 622 to the input on TV #2? What is this "Home Distribution" output on the 622 used for?
  • What is the Ethernet Port on the 622 used for at this time? I have WiFi and can buy an adapter if it is used. If not, I'm not worried about it.

So that's it. Anybody care to tell me exactly what items I need to buy to make this all happen?

Last edited:
Good question, I am in a similair situation.

I have 2 dishes on my roof. A Dish 500 and another dish (it was there when I moved in - installer thought it was for DISh Latino or something like that). I have 4 cables running in from the 500 and the other dish is unconnected. The 500 currently feeds a 522 and a 322. I'll be turning-in the 322, moving the 522 to the 322's location, and installing the 622 where the 522 curently lives.

Is a 500 + another dish the same as a 1000? is there another piece of hardware needed to interface the second dish with the 500 so that it gets the 3 required sats (I am geographically eligable for a Dish 1000).

I'm just wondering becuase, if I get my 622 before the installer arrives on March 3, I may do a self-install, if all the pieces are already in place, and maybe someone could answer mine an Chetk's (thread starter) questions at once ;)

One way to tell what satellites you are looking at would be to do a Check Switch. Everything is listed there including lnb type and switches. You probably have legacy lnbs/switch since it was installed 3-4 years ago. Legacy equipment will work fine but you will have to run 2 lines to your 622 receiver. If you want to receive Dish's new HD channels you will need a satellite pointing to either 61.5 or 129. As for HD lil, I have no clue.

If rumors hold, don't forget that you will have to supply your own HDMI cable. If you already have a 921 and are using the DVI input on your TV with a DVI cable, you will need to buy an adapter to make it work. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone local that sold the adapters (I need a female DVI to male HDMI adapter). I'm going online to track one down now......

what 'cha got ?

ChetK said:
OK, after looking at Scott's review thread, I see the separator is included with the 622.

So does this get installed after the Dish Pro adapter or in place of the Dish Pro adapter?

If your 6000 receiver has a DishPro adapter, then you have DishPro LNBs.
(someone correct me if I'm mistaken)
And if you do a check switch from any receiver which is DishPro capable (not behind a DishPro adapter), then the screen should tell what LNBs and switches you have.
That will make helping here on the forum a lot easier.

...and to answer the question, the dishPro adapter stays with the 6000.
so the answer is: "in place of"

Anole said:
And if you do a check switch from any receiver which is DishPro capable (not behind a DishPro adapter), then the screen should tell what LNBs and switches you have.

Thanks! I'll get the LNB and switch info when I get home after work today.

overlooked...

...keeping in mind of course, that the seperator only works if you have a dishProPlus lnb/switch... which you most likely do NOT.

I'm sure once you're home and can tell us what is out there, many of the installers will be able to recommend a suitable course of action.

And as always, there may be several good paths to follow... so evaluate them all.

Anole said:

Anole,

My 6000 receiver is "behind a DishPro adapter" and is the only receiver I have. How do I find out which LNBs and switches I have?

I did do a check switch anyway and this is what I came up with:
Installed Switch Model: SW21 3-SAT

1 1 1 1 2 2
119 119 110 110 61.5 61.5
Odd Even Odd Even Odd Even

I did, in fact, get on the roof and I have a DP21 multiswitcher that hooks the two dishes together.

Does that give you everything you need to help me with my planned upgrade? :)

jrfuda said:
Good question, I am in a similair situation.

I have 2 dishes on my roof. A Dish 500 and another dish (it was there when I moved in - installer thought it was for DISh Latino or something like that). I have 4 cables running in from the 500 and the other dish is unconnected. The 500 currently feeds a 522 and a 322. I'll be turning-in the 322, moving the 522 to the 322's location, and installing the 622 where the 522 curently lives.

Is a 500 + another dish the same as a 1000? is there another piece of hardware needed to interface the second dish with the 500 so that it gets the 3 required sats (I am geographically eligable for a Dish 1000).

I'm just wondering becuase, if I get my 622 before the installer arrives on March 3, I may do a self-install, if all the pieces are already in place, and maybe someone could answer mine an Chetk's (thread starter) questions at once ;)
copuple of possibilties...If you wan tthe full boat of HD channels..You'll need a D-1000 antenna...or you may use the secondary dish to point it at 61.5....In either case a dpp44 or dp34 switch will be needed to view the three orbital slots....there is no such animal as a d-500+......Let the installer handle it.....

ChetK said:
I did, in fact, get on the roof and I have a DP21 multiswitcher that hooks the two dishes together.

Does that give you everything you need to help me with my planned upgrade? :)

You do not have Dish Pro lnbs or a DP21 switch. Everything you have is legacy. Your installer will probably remove everything and upgrade your dish to the Dish 1000. This will allow you to still use your single feed as the seperator will be used to feed both tuners.

Dishpointer said:
You do not have Dish Pro lnbs or a DP21 switch. Everything you have is legacy. Your installer will probably remove everything and upgrade your dish to the Dish 1000. This will allow you to still use your single feed as the seperator will be used to feed both tuners.
What are you talking about? It said DP21 right there on the thing. The dishes themselves (on the back side of the LNBs) have the Dish Pro logo on them. Are they in disguise? :tux:

It sounds like you have a DishPro Twin lnbf on the dish pointed at 110/119, and a regular dishpro lnbf pointed at 61.5. Assuming that is correct, then basically you have two options, one cheap and one not so cheap.

Option 1) replace the dp21 with a dp34. You will need to run a second line from the 110/119 dish off the other output of the twin. Then you need to run a second line from the dp34 to where you are putting the 622 so you can feed it's second receiver. You will run a third line to the room you are moving the 6000 to, keeping it's dp box with it.

Option 2) replace the dp21 with a dpp44. There's really no reason to do this, but you could. You would be able to keep a single line from the switch to the 622 with a dp seperator at the 622 to feed both tuners. If you think you may add two more tuners to your system, and/or need to see 4 satellites at some point (even then your dp21 might come in handy), then you might consider this, but otherwise Option 1 will be much less expensive.

You might take a look at this pdf:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/technology/111/Chapter4.pdf

Look at page 14 (it says pg62 on it)

Last edited:
ajohnson said:
It sounds like you have a DishPro Twin lnbf on the dish pointed at 110/119, and a regular dishpro lnbf pointed at 61.5.

That is correct!

ajohnson said:
Option 1) replace the dp21 with a dp34. You will need to run a second line from the 110/119 dish off the other output of the twin.
I'm not sure I understand this part. But I'll figure it out when I'm on the roof with the dp34 in hand. :)

ajohnson said:
Then you need to run a second line from the dp34 to where you are putting the 622 so you can feed it's second receiver.
But doesn't the 622 come with a separator for splitting the one line coming from both dishes? This is where I'm getting confused. Why can the dp44 allow me to run one line to the 622 and the dp34 makes me run 2 lines to the 622?

ajohnson said:
You will run a third line to the room you are moving the 6000 to, keeping it's dp box with it.
Got it!

Thanks ajohnson!!! It looks like the only investment I need to make is some RG-6 and a dp34.

ajohnson said:
It sounds like you have a DishPro Twin lnbf on the dish pointed at 110/119, and a regular dishpro lnbf pointed at 61.5. Assuming that is correct, then basically you have two options, one cheap and one not so cheap.

Option 1) replace the dp21 with a dp34. You will need to run a second line from the 110/119 dish off the other output of the twin. Then you need to run a second line from the dp34 to where you are putting the 622 so you can feed it's second receiver. You will run a third line to the room you are moving the 6000 to, keeping it's dp box with it.

Option 2) replace the dp21 with a dpp44. There's really no reason to do this, but you could. You would be able to keep a single line from the switch to the 622 with a dp seperator at the 622 to feed both tuners. If you think you may add two more tuners to your system, and/or need to see 4 satellites at some point (even then your dp21 might come in handy), then you might consider this, but otherwise Option 1 will be much less expensive.

You might take a look at this pdf:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/technology/111/Chapter4.pdf

Look at page 14 (it says pg62 on it)

Another option would be to use a dp+ twin and with that you can run both your 622 and your 6000 rec's. One line would work for the 622 and one new line run to the new location of the 6000, without the dp adapter.
It also has a built in switch which would allow you to have three orbital locations.

ChetK said:
What are you talking about? It said DP21 right there on the thing. The dishes themselves (on the back side of the LNBs) have the Dish Pro logo on them. Are they in disguise? :tux:

Installed Switch Model: SW21 Does that look like a Dish Pro Switch to you? Mine say Installed Switch Model: DP21 not SW21. Maybe one of the installers can comment on this one.

Pst...Simon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)