What do you think of the Smithsonian Channel?

EscapeVelocity

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I really like the documentary channels, like National Geographic, Discovery Channel, PBS, The Learning Channel, History Channel, Travel Channel, etc.

Is the Smithsonian Channel a real winner?

We think it is a decent channel, however where they put it in the channel line up didn't make any sense. Why not put all of those channels near Discovery,Science, etc. We tend to forget we have it most of the time.

It'd be fantastic but they must have only a total of 24 hours of programming that keeps repeating. I was excited to get it initially but after you've watched it a few times you've seen everything.

Ed

Agree with all of the repeat comments. Kinda like a flash back to Voom in that respect. I really enjoy the programming that they have, but there isn't enough of it.

another voom channel with repeats over and over,dish need to cut this one too or tell the program provider too up there content,this sh-t is getting old.

another voom channel with repeats over and over,dish need to cut this one too or tell the program provider too up there content,this sh-t is getting old.

ESPN Classic is a channel of repeats, TV Land is a channel of repeats, all of the non-original premiums (HBO Comedy, ShoToo, etc.)are channels of repeats, I could go on and on....

Should all of these channels be cut as well?

To the original question, I have enjoyed what we have watched on Smithsonian, but hopefully they will increase the original programming as they mature. And with it not having a 94XX channel number we forget about it quite a bit.

NO. Smith is a sad example of what Nat Geo, Science, Discovery, History, and even a few of the Voom channels do so much better. The PQ on Smith is not always what it should be, and that is Smith's fault, not Dish's. I had high hopes when Dish offered this channel, but I have been greatly disappointed. It's a Viacom CHEAP imitation of the better channels. Smith has so little content, it could qualify as a Voom channel, but without Voom's great PQ.

ESPN Classic is a channel of repeats, TV Land is a channel of repeats, all of the non-original premiums (HBO Comedy, ShoToo, etc.)are channels of repeats, I could go on and on....

Should all of these channels be cut as well?

To the original question, I have enjoyed what we have watched on Smithsonian, but hopefully they will increase the original programming as they mature. And with it not having a 94XX channel number we forget about it quite a bit.

You are confused. The problem is not that the programs have been seen before, the problem is that the programs are so limited that they only have a couple of days worth of total programming. To use your examples: ESPN Classic has every ESPN (ABC family) sports broadcast to show (literally years worth of programs), TV Land has a large number of series of many episodes each to show, the premiums play pragrams many times when they first come out but they are constantly changing what they show. The beef here is that Smith is not really adding new programs and they have a very small library at this time. I agree with you in that I really enjoy what they have, but they need more to support an entire channel.

I am not confused. Those channels I mentioned continuously repeat the same programming over and over, especially the premium suite channels, maybe not in as short a time span as Smithsonian, for example, but Smithsonian is just getting started.

I am tired of people bitching about certain channels repeating shows, when many channels do the exact same thing.

No, they don't "continuously repeat the same programming over and over". ESPN classic shows totally different stuff each week. The premiums change out their shows every couple weeks. Smithsonian has about 72 hrs of total programming. You are comparing apples to oranges, or as they say in Brazil, bananas to coconuts :D

Smithsonian programming is on pair with NG and Animal Planet, except their library is very small at this point, so there are a lot of repeats. There are a number of good shows about the Zoo.

I like Smithsonian - great shows, but they are currently a poor man's Voom channel. I have recorded pretty much ALL the Smithsonian programs to my EHD (not exactly sure why), and they are taking up about 160GB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)