This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

What Do You Think The Future Of FTA Will Be?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks Titanium, but I can’t. I don’t feel it’s worth the risk. I’ll continue looking, and I’ll probably find a better dish ground mounted.

Just curious, how old are you? I'm 63 and I don't feel at all comfortable on a roof any more, especially having inner ear and vertigo problems. I don't bounce as good as I used to either.

Reactions: madmadworld
Just curious, how old are you? I'm 63 and I don't feel at all comfortable on a roof any more, especially having inner ear and vertigo problems. I don't bounce as good as I used to either.

46 Just found about REAL FTA in June. I haven’t ever climbed a high roof before.

Now that's what I was talking about the other day. A nice 3D effect with the two pictures side-by-side like that. Should have made the distance between the two shots just a bit more though.

I don’t see any difference between them.

I’m gonna have to get the KTI 10 footer from my “DIY C-Band Dish” thread
. I really really didn’t want/have room for a 10 footer but all the 8 footer’s are on high poles in my area. So, I’ll have to get a 10 footer.

46 Just found about REAL FTA in June. I haven’t ever climbed a high roof before.

Climbing isn't for everyone. I know people who get rattled in a step ladder. I've never been afraid of heights, but being unstable on my feet, I don't push my luck. I have a 10 foot step ladder I use to clean out my gutters, but that's about as high as I go. The KTI 10 foot in the picture looks like a nice dish. It will get a better signal than the 7 1/2 footer. I think you'll be OK with it when you get it up and working.

Reactions: Horsepower

Sounds like you do have room for a 10 footer.

You will be much happier with a good 10 footer anyway.

Ok so I'll throw in an idea. So for the most part, Dish & Direct don't really cater to the ideals of middle rural America. Plus they're damn near $200 a month now a days for everything. At least $100 and if you're in a contract that "discount price" usually double half way through. People are sick of paying that kinda money for stuff they don't really want. Many of you are predicting a shift toward internet video but rural internet access is still meh and probably will be for a while. Im predicting that a shift to OTA or FTA for that reason. There is a ton more stuff I would like to watch on FTA (DIY, Retro, Outdoors, etc) than cable unless the internet can get its rural act together quickly. Either that or the cable /pizza dish providers are going to have to go Ala carte with channels being $1/$2 each. If Steve Jobs was still alive I think we would already have Ala carte programming at such a price.

At one time, Dish had an Easy-Pick package where you could pick 10 channels you liked. At first, most of the good channels were available for this package, and then they discovered a lot of subscribers were ditching the top 100 package because everything they wanted could be in the E-P package. They were losing money big time, so they did away with this package, as you might imagine.

It's crazy what they charge for TV. That's when I went over to FTA and have been there ever since. I went FTA for 1 channel, and if we lost every other channel but that one, I will still be doing FTA. All the other channels I get are a bonus. I can do without TV. It's my wife that goes bonkers. I am perfectly content working my garden and working around the house. I will never pay for TV again, unless you include what I've spent on equipment for FTA.

Well, there’s a bunch of exaggerations and misinformation.

Content providers block a la carte. And Jobs couldn’t have done a darn thing about that.

And sad to say, FTA does not have a bright future. Another thread is commenting on the shift to fiber distribution over satellites.

And I am concerned that ATSC 3.0 may be a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Ten years from now, we may be paying for OTA to function, with or without an Internet connection (it’s in the spec).

Reactions: madmadworld
Thier will be a need for satellites over fiber satellites go where the internet can't go. Natural disater happens damages fiber cables but satellites still working. I like going outside and fixing my dish.

At 5 dishes and counting, I hope there are no natural disasters devastating enough to destroy my setup. I've having a heck of a time right now locating enough wire mesh dishes to complete my 8 dish setup. I enjoy working on and installing these things, but I enjoy watching them even more. I've given up on getting high speed internet out here by conventional methods, so this week, I'm going down to the local Sprint store to get a Hot Spot setup and see how that works. I have 15 days to try it out.

My X father inlaw has the same setup and he's getting nearly 3mbps upload, 18mbps download speed. Hopefully it won't cause problems with my FTA system. If it does, I may have to go back to a one receiver hookup and switch all my LNBF's to Titanium's with the WI max filters. Hope that doesn't happen. (Wonders if we are any closer to seeing dual output Titanium's with the Wi-Max filters? ) Hint-Hint.

Reactions: danristheman
Status
Please reply by conversation.