What do you think?

ChadT41

THE BEST THERE HAS EVER BEEN
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Mesa, Az
So, I found some HWS for $150 each. Should I pull the trigger and buy one, or go with a leased unit for free. I am not leaving Dish anytime soon, and it would just be replacing the H2K I have in the bedroom. Do not travel so would be constantly activated. Just seems $150 is cheap, and verified Receiver and Smart Card numbers as good. Seller says new in bo:mad:unopened).

The question is, What is the advantage over leased? It used to be that there was a slight advantage to buying the receiver because there was a fee on the leased receiver. Now there is the same fee whether you own or not. The only difference is if you want to replace your receiver, you can keep your old one. But I have kept mine so long that they are literally obsolete (cannot be reauthorized)

What do you think the chances are that owned receivers may have a benefit in the future. Making a number up out of thin air, something like $2/month. I say unlikely but hell, crazier things have happened. Like I said, the price just seemed to good to be true, and can save an upgrade for the future. And I can yank out the Harddrive and experiment with an internal 3GB HD.

So, I found some HWS for $150 each. Should I pull the trigger and buy one, or go with a leased unit for free. I am not leaving Dish anytime soon, and it would just be replacing the H2K I have in the bedroom. Do not travel so would be constantly activated. Just seems $150 is cheap, and verified Receiver and Smart Card numbers as good. Seller says new in bo:mad:unopened).
Sounds like a good deal. I just checked Sadoun, Solid Signal, and Dish Depot to see what they were selling Hoppers for. All three stores did not have any Hoppers. Wonder what's going on! Is there a shortage?

I do not like that the seller has had them up since Dec09 and has 0 reveiws. Makes it a little nerve racking. Hmm, hope it atleast helps someone else if they are interested in purchasing. Its less then the ETF, and can be resold to make a profit on Ebay. Even buying and reselling on Ebay at $200 would be a profit.

That seller is also selling 722k, Joey, and Super Joeys. His/her 'avatar' is a Dish Network logo.

Also, selling it a low-key site like Bonanza (never heard of it before) ?

R1899393091 Is the receiver number if anyone was interested in that specific one he wanted me to verify.

I emailed him and asked why so cheap, especially in comparison to DishDepot.com. The response I got was

"Because we get them at a very low price and its 150 + shipping cost via UPS..we provide tracking numbers to all our customers.I have had 10 in stock due to alot of people contact me and I send and invoice via Paypal so that doesnt change the inventory count but I also dont do alot of selling on here.Majority of our sales come from Ebay but the receiver number I sent you would be the one you will be receiving."

My guess is he's a former retailer and even if these are "new in box", they're not really free and clear from Dish.

If it belongs to a retailer there should be no issues with purchasing it. Once it's purchased it is then the customers. I've sold customers receivers plenty of times and they were tied to my business.

Likely a good decision...who knows, maybe a HWS4k in the pipe <g>

If it belongs to a retailer there should be no issues with purchasing it. Once it's purchased it is then the customers. I've sold customers receivers plenty of times and they were tied to my business.
How does a retailer/installer deal with equipment that a customer ends up leasing though ? Does Dish charge for ALL equipment they ship or only charge when it's sold (kinda like "on consignment") ? If they did it that way, in cases where equipment ends up leased, retailers wouldn't have to worry about getting their money back.

How does a retailer/installer deal with equipment that a customer ends up leasing though ? Does Dish charge for ALL equipment they ship or only charge when it's sold (kinda like "on consignment") ? If they did it that way, in cases where equipment ends up leased, retailers wouldn't have to worry about getting their money back.

When a retailer signs up a customer under a lease promotion that retailer is responsible for that equipment for a select amount of days. Otherwise that equipment now belongs to Dish. A retailer gets paid back the amount of the equipment a couple weeks after the customer is activated. If the customer cancels within a certain amount of time the retailer gets charged back and does not get the equipment back either.

If a retailer sells a receiver out right to a customer that receiver is now the customers and no longer is tied to the retailer. The retailer makes whatever profit off of the receiver by marking it up a certain amount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)