What Does it Take for a College Player to Have Success at the NFL Level?

Here's an idea...

Why not bring the spread to the NFL?

The NFL already tried to copy the "wild cat" formation last year. I wonder who the first genius will be to try the hurry up spread offense that kills in CFB?

Here's an idea...

The NFL already tried to copy the "wild cat" formation last year. I wonder who the first genius will be to try the hurry up spread offense that kills in CFB?

Because they pay their QB's to stay healthy. :D The spread is murder on QB's who can't run.

Here's an idea...

Just don't let that genius be with the Panthers. If you want a reason why NFL teams are reluctant to use a spread offense look at Donovan McNabb's career. He was a dual threat QB, but now after tearing his ACL, breaking his ankle, pulling hamstrings, etc he's no more a threat to run than Peyton Manning. It's just not worth it to expose QB's to more punishment than they already receive. Same thing happened to Steve McNair. He practically has to eat through a straw now after all the big hits he took. And considering how bad most backup QB's are you definitely don't to lose your starter.

Just don't let that genius be with the Panthers. If you want a reason why NFL teams are reluctant to use a spread offense look at Donovan McNabb's career. He was a dual threat QB, but now after tearing his ACL, breaking his ankle, pulling hamstrings, etc he's no more a threat to run than Peyton Manning. It's just not worth it to expose QB's to more punishment than they already receive. Same thing happened to Steve McNair. He practically has to eat through a straw now after all the big hits he took.
considering how bad most backup QB's are you definitely don't to lose your starter.

And that is why Carolina has a drop-back QB in Delhomme- no decent backup.

Here's an idea...

They did! The Buffalo Bills almost used it exclusively when they went to 4 Super Bowls. Like I said, I thought FOR SURE that would be the rave....and NOBODY adapted it.

And that is why Carolina has a drop-back QB in Delhomme- no decent backup.
Most teams are that way. Arizona and Tennessee were lucky last year in that their backup QB's were better than the starters. Usually losing a starting QB means you'll be in the running for the #1 draft pick.

Chiefs ran a spread offense most of last year because they needed to simplify things as we went through QBs. It worked OK, but our defense negated positives our offense was making. Using the spread Thigpen was the leading passer a couple weeks last season I think.

LJ came back from his injury and showed us all how bad the spread can be for a running back who's lost their burst and needs a lead blocker. In the NFL against these talented defenses, the spread is just a gimmick. Maybe it would work better at the Pro Bowl where there are limits on defensive playcalling :p

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=3717080"]Kansas City Chiefs turn to spread offense - ESPN[/ame]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)