What does ViP Stand For?

stellar832000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
San Antonio
I read somewhere that the letters ViP attached to E*'s new line of receivers could stand for Video over IP. Is this true? If not what does it mean, if it is true what would it mean for the ViP line, what would it allow them to do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Protocol

The Internet Protocol (IP) is a data-oriented protocol used for communicating data across a packet-switched internetwork.
IP is a network layer protocol in the internet protocol suite and is encapsulated in a data link layer protocol (e.g., ethernet). As a lower layer protocol, IP provides the service of communicable unique global addressing amongst computers. This implies that the data link layer need not provide this service. Ethernet provides globally unique addresses except it is not globally communicable (i.e., two arbitrarily chosen ethernet devices will only be able to communicate if they are on the same bus).

if your house is wired with a Cat 5e plug through out the house could it be used to send stuff DVR'ed from the 622 to a 211 at another HDTV. Keep everything in HD.

csschrot:

No. Not today. We're hoping for that, the Holy Grail: The whole house DVR. It would be even better if you could send it directly to a TV and skip the 211 entirely.

Or if the 222 where out you would only need one receiver that could feed 2 TVs (one could do HD the other would just do SD via the TV2).

Any update on the VIP 222, it would make the whole house DVR even better?

According to TiVo it stands for: Violating Industry Patents :)

How 'bout:
Video In your Pajamas
Vital Income Producer (for Dish ;) )
Very Interactive Programming (more interactive than regular interactive progrmming)
Varying Increments of Pleasure (mixed reviews)

I'm sure I could think of more...

Last edited:
I believe too that it has to do with the Ethernet Port, because the 411 doesn't have it and therefore isn't called Vip411. The 211 has it so that's why Vip211. Other than that it is the same receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)