What DVR combination for TV + PC?

Trav

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
I'm looking to get Dish Network soon, but wanted to know which options for receivers/DVR's would be best for my purposes. Here's what I want to do:

- I need one tuner in my living room for general TV watching
- I need a second tuner in my computer room to hook up to my PC (I have the ATI All-in-wonder 9800 Pro)

I know I need the receiver for the PC room because the tv card does not have a digital receiver. The question I have is if I can hook the receiver up to the PC card via coax or if I need to use the S-Video and RCA inputs?

The reason I ask is because I need to decide whether to get two 510 receivers and pay the extra $5 for the second receiver, OR if I can get buy with one 522? I understand there are two outputs on the 522, but one is only COAX, right? So if I hook up the first tuner to my living room TV via S-Video and digital audio output, then the PC connection will have to be via the coax and I'm not sure that will work with my All-in-wonder. On the other hand, if I use the S-Video and RCA outputs to my PC, then I have to use the Coax on my living room TV and I presume the video quality won't be as good???

So if I want to be able to use S-Video on both connections, I'm assuming I need two separate receivers - not the 522, right?? So then I'm looking at $45 for America's Top 120 with local channels + $5 for extra receiver + $6 for VOD. Is that right?

I think one benefit of the 522 route is that all of your PVR recordings would be ready to send to your PC, whereas with the 2 510's only the 510 recordings in the PC room would be easy to tranfer to the PC.

I would be suprised if that video card did NOT have a coax in. But that certainly would be important to confirm before you go that route. Another reminder would be that the coax out on the 522 is STEREO (which is actually rare for most devices (VCR's and other set top boxes)). So your DVD recordings would at least be pro logic ready.

KyDave said:
I think one benefit of the 522 route is that all of your PVR recordings would be ready to send to your PC, whereas with the 2 510's only the 510 recordings in the PC room would be easy to tranfer to the PC.

I would be suprised if that video card did NOT have a coax in. But that certainly would be important to confirm before you go that route. Another reminder would be that the coax out on the 522 is STEREO (which is actually rare for most devices (VCR's and other set top boxes)). So your DVD recordings would at least be pro logic ready.

Thanks for your reply. My Radeon card does have the Coax input, but I thought this was only for an analog cable system (like I have now). Or could I use this input and just leave the video card's tuner on channel 3? Not sure how that works... I just assumed I'd have to use the alternate inputs (Svideo and RCA). ??? I assume the video quality will not be as good if I use the Coax, right? How much difference?

I have an external Hauppauge WinTv PVR USB 2.0 that has S-Video, RCA, and Coax inputs. It even comes with a remote.

Trav said:
My Radeon card does have the Coax input, but I thought this was only for an analog cable system (like I have now). Or could I use this input and just leave the video card's tuner on channel 3?

From what I understand the 522 can pick any UHF or CABLE channel as its transmitted channel, unlike most VCR type outputs which only offer channel 3 or 4.

Yes, the coax in would not be as good as the svideo in, but I have never actually done this so I can't comment directly on that.

If coax quality did pose a problem, I guess you could also consider an svideo splitter (you can check radio shack or google/ froogle for SVIDEO SPLITTER) and also Y split each RCA AUDIO OUT channel from the 522 so you get two separate SVIDEO - L AUDIO - R AUDIO output connections.

Note that cable loss can be an issue for the run to the office. RG-6 is preferred over RG-59.

I have a similar setup, but a little more complex. I have a 921 and a 501. I run the composite outputs of both into a VCR in the living room. The composite output of the VCR goes to the TV, and the coax output runs to the computer room into another VCR. The second VCR provides me with both coax to the Hauppauge card and composite (for the Dazzle USB) for the PC.

I usually use the Hauppauge coax card in the PC. Downside is that I lose the stereo audio because the first VCR doesn't send it out the coax. The second VCR along with the composite into the Dazzle is good for vidcap of old VHS tapes.

The only reason to run the coax through the second VCR instead of directly to the Hauppauge card is to copy VHS to VHS.

As an aside for those that are scratching their heads, I also have the 921 HD to the TV via a Sony receiver which also switches the DVD player.

SimpleSimon said:
Note that cable loss can be an issue for the run to the office. RG-6 is preferred over RG-59.

I assume that when they install the dish, they will use the RG-6 cable for the secondary output, right? I ordered the dish today with the 522. I know that receiver is not yet enabled for single use, but I'll be using it for the dual outputs so it should work out okay. So I ordered the Top 120 (with local channels) and the 522 and it will be $45/month.

Thanks to all who have replied and for the help! :)

They used all RG6 on my installation. If they don't, I would be all over them to do it right. Just watch them closely. Don't be afraid to follow them around and watch everything they do.

KyDave said:
Another reminder would be that the coax out on the 522 is STEREO (which is actually rare for most devices (VCR's and other set top boxes)). So your DVD recordings would at least be pro logic ready.

I was reading the downloadable user manual for the 522 just a short while ago, and it states that the COAX output for both tuners is only MONO, not STEREO.

So I was wondering if the manual is wrong or if Dave's comment was wrong? I already have a coax cable running between the rooms I'll be using when the Dish is installed so that would be the easiest route. I'd hate to be forced to use all 3 RCA cables (1 video, 2 audio) in order to get stereo sound with the second tuner...

Can someone clarify please?

Here's the link to the chapter of the manual that shows MONO:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/technology/522/Chapter2.pdf

Look under the "TV 2 connections" heading.

Does anybody know for sure? The PDF shows stereo output for the TV2 coax, but the downloadable manual for the 522 says both coax outputs (TV1 and TV2 are mono only).

???

There is a misprint in the owner's manual for the 522. It really does use MTS stereo on the RF output for TV2. The 322, a similar model that does not do recording, only has a mono RF modulator.

dlsnyder said:
There is a misprint in the owner's manual for the 522. It really does use MTS stereo on the RF output for TV2. The 322, a similar model that does not do recording, only has a mono RF modulator.

Thanks for the confirmation. What is "MTS" Stereo? For example, I plan on using this coax output to hook the receiver up to my PC (ATI All-in-wonder 9800 Pro). Does this mean I'll have stereo audio with the PC (if you are familiar with the AIW)?

ReplayTV 5040 with commercial autoadvance

ReplayTV 5040 with commercial autoadvance it skips commercials with no user interaction and has network CAT5 support plus usb and internet video sharing!

Trav said:
Thanks for the confirmation. What is "MTS" Stereo? For example, I plan on using this coax output to hook the receiver up to my PC (ATI All-in-wonder 9800 Pro). Does this mean I'll have stereo audio with the PC (if you are familiar with the AIW)?
MTS Stereo is the standard encoding for analog SDTV stereo. Normal stereo TVs and VCRs decode MTS. If the AIW claims to be stereo on the coax input, it's got an MTS decoder. However, it may only be stereo on the RCA inputs.

My old Hauppauge did NOT have an MTS decoder, so I put a cheap Hi-Fi stereo VCR in the computer room, ran the coax into it and then use a Dazzle hooked to the VCR via RCA jacks. Cheaper than some of those fancy switch boxes, and it can play tape too!

Thanks for the explanation. It turns out that my AIW does have a stereo Coax input as I have the second 522 output hooked up to it now and have been recording programs from the receiver.

SimpleSimon said:
MTS Stereo is the standard encoding for analog SDTV stereo. Normal stereo TVs and VCRs decode MTS. If the AIW claims to be stereo on the coax input, it's got an MTS decoder. However, it may only be stereo on the RCA inputs.

My old Hauppauge did NOT have an MTS decoder, so I put a cheap Hi-Fi stereo VCR in the computer room, ran the coax into it and then use a Dazzle hooked to the VCR via RCA jacks. Cheaper than some of those fancy switch boxes, and it can play tape too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)