What DVR do I need???

bigbyrd4

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
St. George, SC
I currently have a 625 DVR in the den that feeds the TV in the MB right above it. I, also, have a 301E and 311 in 2 other rooms upstairs.

The kids have all moved out and it's just me and the boss, now. I have made one of the upstairs rooms into a humble man cave (very primitive right now). I only have a SD TV up there but plan to get an HD TV in the future, just don't know when.

I want to return the two old school receivers and get a DVR for this room, but I don't know which one to get. I don't want to spend any more per month than I am spending now. It looks like a 512 would be a good choice for now except the HDD is pretty small, I can't record OTA and I can't hook up an EHD. Another 625 would work except no OTA and no EHD. A 211K with the EHD added would only give me the ability to record one channel until I get an antenna hooked up and since I am 70 miles from the nearest transmitter I am going to have to get a pretty big antenna and they aint cheap.

A 612 looks like it would be the cat's meow since it has a bigger HDD and I wouldn't have to upgrade to something else whenever I get a new TV. However, it doesn't have the capability of recording OTA or adding an EHD.

That brings me to the 722K, which has everything that I could ever want now or in the future. Since I won't be subscribing to HD channels right now would there be any additional cost if I got an HD receiver but now HD programming.

Have I missed something? Is there anything else?

You can add an EHD to a 612 for sure. Not 100% sure about the OTA
EDIT: You can do OTA with the 612, 512, and 625.
If you want the EHD feature as well, then it has to be an HD receiver. All of them except the 222k has the EHD feature.

You can add an EHD to a 612 for sure. Not 100% sure about the OTA
EDIT: You can do OTA with the 612, 512, and 625.
If you want the EHD feature as well, then it has to be an HD receiver. All of them except the 222k has the EHD feature.
Only the 612 does OTA. The 512 is a downconverted 522 which was the previous model to the 625.

I currently have a 625 DVR in the den that feeds the TV in the MB right above it. I, also, have a 301E and 311 in 2 other rooms upstairs.

The kids have all moved out and it's just me and the boss, now. I have made one of the upstairs rooms into a humble man cave (very primitive right now). I only have a SD TV up there but plan to get an HD TV in the future, just don't know when.

I want to return the two old school receivers and get a DVR for this room, but I don't know which one to get. I don't want to spend any more per month than I am spending now. It looks like a 512 would be a good choice for now except the HDD is pretty small, I can't record OTA and I can't hook up an EHD. Another 625 would work except no OTA and no EHD. A 211K with the EHD added would only give me the ability to record one channel until I get an antenna hooked up and since I am 70 miles from the nearest transmitter I am going to have to get a pretty big antenna and they aint cheap.

A 612 looks like it would be the cat's meow since it has a bigger HDD and I wouldn't have to upgrade to something else whenever I get a new TV. However, it doesn't have the capability of recording OTA or adding an EHD.

That brings me to the 722K, which has everything that I could ever want now or in the future. Since I won't be subscribing to HD channels right now would there be any additional cost if I got an HD receiver but now HD programming.

The only choice you have if you are keeping the 625 is a 722/722K The 301 and 311 are costing you $14/mo as leased additional receivers so at $10 for a 612 it looks like you could save $4/mo. but DISH would make the 612 the primary receiver and the 625 would then cost $17/mo as an additional receiver. So if you are going to get stuck with the additional costs you might as well enjoy the 722. Remember you can only do 1 upgrade each 12 months so use your upgrade wisely.

Dish makes the most expensive receiver the primary ;)
Amazingly enough it does it automatically. When my dad went from 4 311's to swapping some for a 322 to adding a 625 the bill for add'l receiver fees was always right

My suggestion is the 722k for the main TV and a 211 for your man cave. If you sign up for auto pay, you get most HD channels for free. That way your rweady for the HD TV. You can add as many ehd's as you want to the 722, only 1 at a time. Add an ehd to the 211 for a one time fee of $40 gives you the functionality of a dvr. The rewind/fast forward, buffer and a 9 day epg. You would pay $7/mo for the 211 as a solo receiver.
My setup is as above with 1 tweak. I have my 211 hooked up to a TV here in my computer room via hdmi and the home distribution coax of my 722. That way if I want to watch something recorded on my 722, I just switch the input on the TV from hdmi to coax.

I would add that at 70 miles, it may not be worth it to try to get OTA. You can check Antennaweb, but your best bet is to see if any neighbors are getting reception.

In any event, whenever you change your primary plan, Dish will add the locals (& the charge) anyway, even if you don't get them from Dish now. Dish could well be the cheaper option for locals anyway, at about $6/month. Figure in the cost of a huge VHF/UHF antenna, pole, mount, rotor, coax, fittings etc- and it adds up. Let's say you paid $200 for an OTA setup. That's almost 3 years of the Dish fee, for reception that at that distance can only be iffy at best.

Don't get me wrong, I have a nice OTA setup- but I'm near several transmitting antennas. Your case introduces a lot of doubt. Memories of old NTSC analog reception don't apply much to ATSC digital reception.

Best of luck to you.

There was a time when Dish would charge an extra fee if you had a HD receiver without having HD programming. I have not seen that mentioned anywhere for a long time. I am sure that someone from DIRT could tell you.
If you select the 722K( I have one), it does not have OTA unless you add the OTA module. Sometimes, as part of an upgrade, Dish will include the OTA module, sometimes not. I think that it now cost $50, if Dish does not include it. The module will give you two OTA tuners, so you record two satellite programs and two OTA programs at the same time. And while you are doing that you can watch an already recorded program.
I do not know whether you now have locals from Dish, if you do Dish will include HD locals once you have HD receivers.
If you do not have Dish locals, be careful because certain changes to you account will force locals, and their additional cost o to your account.

If you select the 722K( I have one), it does not have OTA unless you add the OTA module. Sometimes, as part of an upgrade, Dish will include the OTA module, sometimes not. I think that it now cost $50, if Dish does not include it. The module will give you two OTA tuners, so you record two satellite programs and two OTA programs at the same time. And while you are doing that you can watch an already recorded program.
I guess you missed the part about him being 70 miles from the TV stations and not having a OTA setup right now ;)

I guess you missed the part about him being 70 miles from the TV stations and not having a OTA setup right now ;)

Not really. The op said that he was "going to get a pretty big antenna" so I think he is looking for a way to get OTA.
My main point was to answer his question about having HD receivers without having HD programming and any cost for that. I think that Dish use to have a charge for that.
Also, if the op is going for OTA I wanted to be clear that OTA is not standard with the 722k.

Thanks for all the replies.

I do get my local channels now from Dish and have no plans to drop that in the future. What I want to do is get an antenna set up in the attic and try to get the local stations OTA also. I am leaning towards the 722K for the bigger HDD and the possibility of recording OTA channels. I have to listen to the boss bitch every year when the new shows start because she can't watch something because the 625 is recording two shows and there are many times that I don't get something recorded because I can't record three at one time. With a 722 I can record two shows and one more on the 625 and she can still watch whatever she wants to watch, which is probably something like Housewives of NJ. If I can get the OTA stations to come in pretty good then I can record 4 shows at one time and store them to the HDD to watch next summer when there is nothing else to watch.

I believe the attic in my house is tall enough to be able to put an antenna in it and pick up the locals OTA. I have talked to some of my neighbors and most of them get their TV from one of the sat providers there isn't any cable or fiber optics out here so it's OTA or sat. My house is two stories and is elevated nine feet off the ground so the attic ought to be high enough to get over the trees.

I am going to contact one of the DIRT team members to see how this stacks up with what I am paying now. If there is no additional charge for having an HD receiver without HD programming then it looks like it should break even since I will be replacing two receivers with a dual receiver, but what do I know.

722k for sure then. you will be able to record 2 things on SAT and 2 things via OTA once you are all setup.

The flaw with the theory is that the biggest antenna you can fit in the attic isn't worth nearly as much if it is hidden in the attic. Antennas are rated for unobstructed rooftop placement (you should be able to see the towers). Depending on the roofing material, the loss can be substantial. Not something you want to do at 70 miles.

The flaw with the theory is that the biggest antenna you can fit in the attic isn't worth nearly as much if it is hidden in the attic. Antennas are rated for unobstructed rooftop placement (you should be able to see the towers). Depending on the roofing material, the loss can be substantial. Not something you want to do at 70 miles.

Exactly! My recommendation also,antenna on top of the house,at least with a 2 story you should not hopefully need to raise it much higher.;)

I got an 722k/wMT2 when I had an SDTV(Jan.2011),also got HD For Life at that time also(free with 24 month commitment with autopay,ect.).I needed a Channel 3 hookup,told the Loyalty Department that also they included the MT2 Module(MT2 has a Channel 3 or 4 hookup.).

Even if you don't have HD,the HD picture on a SDTV is a better picture.:)

I would be dumbfounded if you got a usable picture from ANY antenna inside an attic at 70 miles. It's iffy at that distance even with a roof mount. That wood barrier is just going to attenuate the signal far too much. It's not trivial. If you are unwilling to put up an outside, roof (possibly gable) mounted antenna, save your money and do nothing inside the attic.

I would be dumbfounded if you got a usable picture from ANY antenna inside an attic at 70 miles.

The custom coat-hanger antenna in our attic gets channels from ~100 miles. It is not very big either- made it on a ~2ft 2x4.

It is wired completely with rg-6 and an inline 15dbi bidirectional amplifier.

The custom coat-hanger antenna in our attic gets channels from ~100 miles. It is not very big either- made it on a ~2ft 2x4.

It is wired completely with rg-6 and an inline 15dbi bidirectional amplifier.

That is what I was thinking of trying. I had read about that a while back and somewhere I bookmarked the web page about it.

I don't have any desire to get on the roof of my house (12x12 pitch shingles) and mount an antenna. I am very allergic to pain and the sudden decelleration at the bottom of the fall would not be pretty.

That is what I was thinking of trying. I had read about that a while back and somewhere I bookmarked the web page about it.

I don't have any desire to get on the roof of my house (12x12 pitch shingles) and mount an antenna. I am very allergic to pain and the sudden decelleration at the bottom of the fall would not be pretty.

You don't have to get on the roof,get a long enough pole and attach it to the top side of the house.There are mounting brackets you can purchase for these purposes also.

All it takes is an antenna(I use a four bay,I'm 50 to 70 miles away from the broadcast towers),a ladder and a few tools to install.Good Luck!.:)

that hardest part about build it, was finding coat hangers around the house that were not plastic, lol. here is the basic design:

Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna! - YouTube

Ours is like this, but with hangers on both side of the 2x4 and tied together- had to find a spot in our attic that was not covered by the tech-shielding. luckily, most all channels come from the same direction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts