What DVR reciever do you suggest?

FiremanGTP

Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
I currently have a 811 reciever for my living room tv... but plan on getting rid of the HD and going to DVR. I just need to see what DVR is right for me.

My main concern is that I need a DVR that has similar inputs and outputs in the back as the 811 does.

I need the 3(r/g/b) component video outputs for the tv, and atleast 1 if not 2 rca audio/video (yellow and white) inputs for video games etc...

Also need the digital audio output like the 811 has.

I dont really need a dual tuner dvr but it wouldnt hurt either. I plan on purchasing it and then using the 625 in the other room as my "one free lease".. currently the 811 is the "one free lease" and I pay $5 for the 625.

I dont know what the setups are on the recievers but if the 501 508 or 721 have these input/output setup that I need... that would be great, otherwise Ill just pay the extra $5 for the newer reciever DVR fee.

The only pvrs that I know of that have component out are the 942 and 921. I don't believe any of the sd pvrs have them. Since I have a 721, I know for a fact that they don't.

The only Dish receivers with component output are the HD models.

DVRs with aux input are the SD 721 and HD 921. Both have only 1. The old D-VHS would also do the trick but lacks the features of the newer hard drive based DVRs. The 7100/7200 also has aux input but it's only for e-mail.

All DVR models have optical audio out.

thank you Bobabird.

So it looks like I am stuck with the 921.

Does anyone know if Dish will let me upgrade my 811 to the 921 and keep the 921 even if I cancel the HD subscription?

I guess I could BUY a 921 but they seem to be pretty expensive. :shocked

Thanks again for the help. :yes

I just got my 1st dvr, or pvr, this evening. I'm recording my 1st show, as I type. Great. So far, so good. I plan to put the old legacy 2700 receiver in the bedroom. Next I need to get some switches and hook this stuff up. I have two dishes, one for 61.5 sat., and the other for regular dish 500.

DB aka kountzer

ok...

Im probably gonna toss out with the component RGB video cables for the s-video for now...

SO...

I need a good PVR/DVR that has s-vid out and atleast 1 composite (yellow/white) input.

And again, if the 501, 508 or 721 has this, it would definately help :)

Aslo, side Q..

I heard any newly added 721 has the $5 dvr fee now? True?

Thanks again!
~dan :)

FiremanGTP said:
ok...

Im probably gonna toss out with the component RGB video cables for the s-video for now...

SO...

I need a good PVR/DVR that has s-vid out and atleast 1 composite (yellow/white) input.

And again, if the 501, 508 or 721 has this, it would definately help :)

Aslo, side Q..

I heard any newly added 721 has the $5 dvr fee now? True?

Thanks again!
~dan :)

Check out the following link for receiver comparison.

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/101

As far as I know the 721 does not have the stupid $5 VOD fee.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)