What equipment do I need to connect all my devices?

NewNew

Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Deep South
Hi!

I'm very green when it comes to all things electronic and I am not sure what equipment I need to connect all of my devices. :eek:

My DISH receiver is ViP722k. Is there a device I can use to connect my TV, receiver, DVD player, and Wii so that I do not have to continually disconnect and reconnect cables?

I'm sure there is an easy answer but I haven't been able to find it yet. Any help would be appreciated.

well depending on how you want to hook everything up you may need a couple of switches. how is everything connected to your tv right now? just using the red/yellow/white connectors, component(blue-red-green/red adn white) or with HDMI cables? depending on what type of output you are using to get the signals from your devices to your tv would determine what type of switch you would need. try looking at monoprice.com or parts-express.com

Right now, everything is connected using the red/yellow/white connectors (and that's only because that's the only method I know).

I just spoke w/ someone at DISH and the rep could not offer any information regarding switches. He said that I can ONLY connect the DVD or Wii to the receiver at any given time and I'll have to continue disconnecting and reconnecting connectors.

I will check out monoprice.com and parts-express.com.

NewNew said:
Right now, everything is connected using the red/yellow/white connectors (and that's only because that's the only method I know).

I just spoke w/ someone at DISH and the rep could not offer any information regarding switches. He said that I can ONLY connect the DVD or Wii to the receiver at any given time and I'll have to continue disconnecting and reconnecting connectors.

I will check out monoprice.com and parts-express.com.

Well if you are only using composite cables(red/white/yellow) you might just run to walmart or something like a big box store. They will have a couple to choose from. Just make sure they have the same connector inputs that are those colors. Connect your devices to those and then you would run a set to your tv. Might grab an extra set of RCA cables(composite) while you are there unless you have an extra set you're not using.

Psyclone makes a good source switch, and it even works off of a remote. Honestly you have a lot of gear there, but we don't know what kind of TV you have. If you are looking into getting Surround Sound, a nice A/V receiver would act as the switch, and perform two tasks. If you have a TV model, that would be the best help honestly.

My DISH receiver is ViP722k. Is there a device I can use to connect my TV, receiver, DVD player, and Wii so that I do not have to continually disconnect and reconnect cables?
I find it incredible that most of those responding are talking about using switches to connect your equipments to your tV without even asking what inputs your TV has available. It may be possible to connect your Dish receiver to one input, your DVD player to a different TV input, and finally your Wii might be connected to a third TV input.

This would allow you to enjoy the use of your devices without the need to purchase or use any "switches." In general, you would only need to use the appropriate type cables from the output of your receiver, DVD player, and your Wii to the various inputs on your TV. You would use your TV's remote to select which input to display.

Last edited:
If you have an HDTV with hdmi inputs your best bet woud be to replace your receiver with a modern AVR that has hdmi inputs and at least one out. You would connect each of your devices to the AVR and then the AVR to the HDTV. This will give you the best sound and the best video and you could switch your input via the remote control. You can only get HDTV with surround sound with hdmi connections. You can get HDTV with component cables for video, but not surround sound with red/white cables.

I find it incredible that most of those responding are talking about using switches to connect your equipments to your tV without even asking what inputs your TV has available. It may be possible to connect your Dish receiver to one input, your DVD player to a different TV input, and finally your Wii might be connected to a third TV input.

My jaw has been dropping, too.:confused:

You can get surround sound via the Dish receiver's Optical Output while watching the video with HDMI, Component, composite, or whatever.

Unless his receiver has multiple optical inputs, he is still limited to 1 source. If he has or gets a AVR with multiple hdmi inputs, he can get surround sound from the dvd player and dish. There is an after market component adapter for the WII so he can get HD video.

The OP can't even tell us about his equipment. So, this thread is just a turkey shoot.

Unless his receiver has multiple optical inputs, he is still limited to 1 source. ...
So your first post offers help if his receiver has one optical input? lol We don't even know if he has an audio receiver at all and you're suggesting he needs to upgrade it without query or explanation? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It really depends on the OP's TV. I have a 722k connected to a Philips LCD HDTV via HDMI. I have my Blu-Ray player connected to the Philips via a second HDMI. And, my Wii is connected to the Philips via RGB component w/audio cable. No switch needed.

It really depends on the OP's TV. I have a 722k connected to a Philips LCD HDTV via HDMI. I have my Blu-Ray player connected to the Philips via a second HDMI. And, my Wii is connected to the Philips via RGB component w/audio cable. No switch needed.

I've got a somewhat similar set up. 722, Toshiba, DVDr and Panasonic Blu-ray connected via HDMI to my Onyko AVR which is then connected to my 52 inch Sammy. The Sammy audio out is connect to the AVR by optical. Then it gets complicated. I've got the r/w-s video out from TV1 going to the Toshiba DVDR. I have the composite outs from TV2 going into a VCR. I then have the coax out from the VCR going underneath the floor to a splitter that feeds an A/B switch in the computer room. The other input to that switch is super basic cable. I also have my 722 hooked into that TV via hdmi. The splitter also send a cable to an old SD LCD in the kitchen. The vcr in the living room is also connected to the super basic cable. That way I can watch what I've dvr'd in the computer room while the wife is watching something in the living room or when I'm playing on the computer. I can also either watch TV2 or switch to cable when I'm in the kitchen. I tend to do most of the dinner cooking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts