what exactly does the h/j need internet for...(DIRT?)

wo0t

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
USA
My router is in a separate room than either hoppers or joey. The tech came and hooked everything up (2h/1j) and tried to use my existing coax to my cable modem to connect the HIC. He used a tap (normal splitters at both ends didn't work) to split the signals at the outdoor end and the split it again inside with a normal splitter. This worked for the hoppers (connected to HIC + internet) but knocked out the joey for some reason. The joey stopped linking (lost all moca signal) w/ the hopper and had a persistent 1303 error. He left and his manager came the next day.

The manager concluded that above config caused the joey to be knocked out, so he just removed all splitters/taps and hooked up the one hopper that was close to the router using Wifi. He didn't even bother hooking my other hopper and joey to the internet saying that they are connected via the node. I argued with him that wifi is suboptimal for streaming purposes especially for the sling (which I intend to use), but he spewed some stuff about his "years of experience" that wifi would not degrade enough to be a big difference. I know all of what he said is not completely true, but he was giving me alot of attitude (and I needed to go somewhere) so I just let him leave.

I know the Wifi is suboptimal, so my question is what exactly is the need for a reliable and strong internet connection. Should I go through the hassle of calling them back and make them run a new line to get me connected via HIC? Shouldn't they have at least left a usb adapter for all 3 boxes? What do you think? DIRT? Thanks and sorry for the long story.

Internet is used for all of the VOD content and BlockBuster@HOME.

You can can use the Hopper without it, but its a much better experience with it. :)

If you have a HIC then no need for the USB Adapters on each box, the HIC provides internet to all the boxes.

Thanks Scott. The problem is I don't have the HIC anymore. They couldn't get it to work, so they just took it out and put 1 usb stick on 1 hopper. That's it.

wo0t said:
Thanks Scott. The problem is I don't have the HIC anymore. They couldn't get it to work, so they just took it out and put 1 usb stick on 1 hopper. That's it.

Maybe the HIC the tech had was defective...

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

the HIC will work if it is wired correctly.
if the router is not in the same room as a joey, the HIC needs it's own line from the splitter off the client line
(NOT the same line as the cable modem)

My router is right beside my TV, but I wanted an HIC because my Joey is really far away and I wanted DLNA capabilities. After playing around with it, I realized that over 80% of my MKVs do not play on it over DLNA so I'll stick with my XBMC Media Server on my HTPC. (I was trying to make things easier on my mom lol)

But we just installed the HIC beside the box. We plugged them main line going to the receiver into a tap, connected the client line to the HIC and the server line to the box. Really simple. I think it's amazing that it can transfer the internet connection over Coax. I'm just so used to ethernet cables everywhere.

Is the router in the same room as one of the Hoppers or one of the Joeys? In order to hook up the HIC all one has to do is either use a splitter from one of the Joey lines that would hook up the Joey/HIC or if it's by a Hopper then simply place a tap near the Hopper and the "host" goes to Hopper and "Client" goes to the HIC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts