What exactly is the 49% problem ?

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
Had the 811 and HD pak for 6 months now but just recently put up a decent OTA antenna with rotor and amp. After spending 2 days turning that antenna every which way and doing "scan for digital"s, I've come up with 2 channels that lock in (70-85%) and seem to work fine. However they're both PBS and seem to run the exact same programs. Very nice byt redundant.

During all that scanning I also came up with a couple of stations that would not lock. I tried to narrow the antenna position for the best signal but the best I could get was 49%. If I leave it alone, the meter kind of bouncing between 0 and then anywhere from 40 to 56% for a second and then either stop on 49% 0%. Seems kind of weird that both these stations would act the same way and both end up at 49%, especially since they're at completely different locations. Since they don't lock, I can't try some of the "view button" tricks I've seen recommended in the old 811 threads.

Is this an 811 bug or just that I can't receive these signals and probably won't even with another receiver ?

Specifically, I'm in central Vermont (05033), right on NH border at 700 feet with views to South and East.

The 2 PBS stations I do get are 24 (Vt PBS 23.1 thru 24.5) and 48 (NH PBS 11.1 & 11.2). The 2 stations that act like they're "trying" to come in are at 42 and 59.

Also, these 2 stations I can't quite get right now, will I likely get them later if they up the power ? I don't think I could go much higher with my antenna.

Thanks,
WaltinVt

I would go to BB or CC and get another STB and try those channels on it. You can always return it when you are done with your experiment. That way you will know if it is the 811 or you are just too far from the towers....

I have the same problem with stations that I know are broadcasting digital from Savannah, Ga. They are at low power and I see the same thing as you. Dont know if this is the same thing but email the stations and see if they are at low power. Hope this will help also in addition to the above suggestion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)