what gives you hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
What gives you hope to this day and in what do you find hope? Is it the same thing you found hope and belief in as a kid, has that died away and been replaced by something more grown up or are the two types now combined?

"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage, I have overcome the world." - John 16:33 NASB

hope - n :1. the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best

Going by this definition of "hope", which I got from dictionary.com, I'd have to say I don't have a whole lot of hope. Frankly, frequently what is wanted can't be had, and to me it doesn't seem that events turn out for the best very often at all. That I ever have this feeling of hope I would attribute to self-confidence -- the belief in my ability to go out and make things turn out for the best and get what I want.

hope - n :1. the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best

Going by this definition of "hope", which I got from dictionary.com, I'd have to say I don't have a whole lot of hope. Frankly, frequently what is wanted can't be had, and to me it doesn't seem that events turn out for the best very often at all. That I ever have this feeling of hope I would attribute to self-confidence -- the belief in my ability to go out and make things turn out for the best and get what I want.

The first part of that definition I dont see as being a defining part of hope but people do use "hope" to say things such as " I hope that I win the lottery" or " I hope that I get that new computer for christmas". I see hope from the latter half of the definition but also as a link to faith in something or someone or that wich we cant touch or see but feel.

What I found hope in as a kid is still there to some degrea and what I find hope in now can be found in my home, one is in the kitchen making a nice dinner and the other is standing beside me talking in her own language mixed with ours. I also find hope in the selfless acts of heroism that still happen even when you least expect it, I find it in the unmolesting generosity of friends and strangers when times are tough and I find it in the compassion that one person can have for many and many can have for one.

The first part of that definition I dont see as being a defining part of hope but people do use "hope" to say things such as " I hope that I win the lottery" or " I hope that I get that new computer for christmas". I see hope from the latter half of the definition but also as a link to faith in something or someone or that wich we cant touch or see but feel.
Ah. That's kinda why I posted a definition -- I figured "hope" would mean different things to different people.
Your "link" aspect of hope brings to mind my awe of nature -- the serenity that overcomes me when standing in front of a Great Lake or in an endless desert valley or atop a mountain with a view that seems to never end. While these are of course things that I can indeed touch and see, they bring to mind the questions of how and why and from where. And I figure if things of such overwhelming beauty can be created outside of my understanding... well, perhaps there's hope for a happy ending to a whole lotta other things I don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)