What happened to 119W

jhall299

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
HI,

I have a dish 500 with a dual LNB for receiving 110W and 119W. A couple of weeks ago reception on 119W slowly faded to 0. So far I have tried peaking the antenna. I get a great signal on 110W but nothing on 119W. I replaced the dual LNB and even replaced the coax running from the 119W side of the LNB. I can get a signal on 119W but it is to low to be reliable. I will be over 80 on 110W and 10 or less on 119W. I have a DPP44 and tried switching ports on that with no improvement.

I about out of ideas and was hoping someone could give me some tips where to look for the problem.

Jon in South Jersey

I believe I have LOS. Does anyone know how much lower 119w would be that 110W in south New Jersey?

Jon

It is 6 degrees lower in east TN. I don't know if that is the same all over or not. What is your zip? I'll check for you.

Elevation for 119 in your zip is 26, 110 is almost 32. 26 is very low, it would not take much to obstruct its view.

Is there any alternative to 119W? If I have lost LOS getting it back is not going to be easy.

Jon

Here is an easy & cheap way to check your elevation. Take an angle finder on a straight edge like a 4' level. Hold it on what ever angle your trying to clear and look out across the straight edge in the direction of satellite. If you are clear you are good to go, if not, might need to relocate.

angle finder from lowes
Swanson Tool Company at Lowe's: Magnetic Angle Finder

Eastern arc possibly depending on what kind of receiver you have.

To do EA would I need a new dish or LNB? What is the azimuth/elevation for EA at 08098?

Jon

A 1K4 dish would work for you. It receives programming from 61.5, 72.7 & 77. You would not need any switches either with that setup. If your locals come off of 61.5, your set. If locals are 110 you can use a wing dish for it using the 1K4's input.

Do I need to go through Dish to change to EA or can I just buy a 1000.4 dish and install it myself? Will it work with my DPP44?

Jon

Do I need to go through Dish to change to EA or can I just buy a 1000.4 dish and install it myself? Will it work with my DPP44?

Jon

It will work with your 44 switch, but you would not need it. The switch is built into the lnb on the 1K4.

You can buy the dish & install yourself. You will also need to call Dish after you install it & have ran a check switch. They will need to do an arc change over the phone for you. Be prepared when you call & state facts & that you are changing because of LOS issues. As an installer we do it all the time, but have not heard personally of non installers doing it. Good luck, I'm sure you will get something figured out.

Yes,
3 single tuners or 3 dual tuners or 1 single & 2 duals or 2 singles & 1 dual or 2 duals & 1 single or 1 dual & 2 singles. Anybody else think of any other combination's?

It will work with your 44 switch, but you would not need it. The switch is built into the lnb on the 1K4.

You can buy the dish & install yourself. You will also need to call Dish after you install it & have ran a check switch. They will need to do an arc change over the phone for you. Be prepared when you call & state facts & that you are changing because of LOS issues. As an installer we do it all the time, but have not heard personally of non installers doing it. Good luck, I'm sure you will get something figured out.

If he puts up a 1K4 dish has it all working, why would he need to call dish ???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts