What happened to Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kbohip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Colorado Springs
I've been a subscriber to Dish for over 7 years, until a few days ago when I was lucky enough to be able to cancel it. When I first got Dish they were a lot better service for the money compared to Directv. They offered more channels for less money per month. There was never any monthly fee for using their boxes, unless you had more than 1 room which is understandable.

Then came their DVR's and everything went fine for a while until the 510 came out. They started charging an extra $5 a month for the privilege of using it. I went along with this, reluctantly, because at the time Tivo was only available as a SA unit and was $12.95 a month. Now you can get Directivo for only $5 a month. Unlike Dish who charges an extra $5 a month for every DVR, Directv charges $5 a month for every Directivo in the house. Directv also doesn't fine you another $5 a month for not having the Directivo plugged into the phone line either. You can also downgrade service at Directv without being charged an extra $5, and you can do this online.

I used the 510 for over a year and was quite happy with it. It was very stable and I can think of only a few times in over a year I needed to reboot it. Then the 522's came out with dual tuners. I immediately wanted one of these. I called Dish only to find out that too bad, as a current subscriber I can't get one. WTF? :mad: They cared more about a new subscriber with no history than a subscriber with more than 6 years (at the time) of a perfect credit history with them?

6 months later I called them back and found out they were now letting current subs get a 522. The cost was $99 plus the $5 a month lease fee. Hmmm, $100 to lease a receiver? I passed on the offer. The next month I called back and the price was now $149. I went to Ebay and bought a new 522 for $160. At least I own it and can sell it when I ditch Dish.

It seems they used to be primarily concerned with saving their customers money over Directv. Now they charge more. Their latest DVR, the 625, tells me a lot about where their company is heading. They come out with a "new" machine (re badged 522) that you can store PPV movies on! :shocked Wow! What a major advancement over the 522! They only charge you an extra $20 for this and only an extra $1 for each movie you get. This gives you the ability to store PPV movies on your hard drive. :confused: I can do the same thing on my 522.

I won't even go into how extremely unstable Dish's newer DVR's have been, especially the 522 and 921. How about how Charlie claimed in his Chat that the 510 and 921's would get NBR. Never happened and never will.

What happened to Dish? They used to be the value leader among satellite providers but now they charge for everything. The reasons above are what made me cancel after being a loyal customer for over 7 years. I really hope they address these issues. Directv needs the competition.

You need to read up a little more, the difference between the 625 and the 522 is Video On demand not regular payperviews, also both D* and E* offer more to the new customers, that is the business. The reason for offering the new equip. to new customers is demand for sub growth, both companies do this. With emerging local markets for both companies, they were both having trouble keeping up the supplies of their new receivers. All and all this is the way both companies work

Dish Dude said:
You need to read up a little more, the difference between the 625 and the 522 is Video On demand not regular payperviews, also both D* and E* offer more to the new customers, that is the business. The reason for offering the new equip. to new customers is demand for sub growth, both companies do this. With emerging local markets for both companies, they were both having trouble keeping up the supplies of their new receivers. All and all this is the way both companies work

VOD=recorded PPV. I realize that both companies offer more to new subs and I can see why. Lots of companies do this such as cell phone providers etc. What doesn't compute is why Dish screws it's current subs so much more. I know that when Directivo came out D* didn't tell it's current subs with regular receivers too bad so sad, you can't have one, only the new subs can.

alot of people don't think dish is heading in the right direction. i was a sub for over three years and left.

they really need to look at having a new approach.

Current D* subs have got better deals than new subs. $99 v 300 for a hd receiver, $200-$500 off the hd-tivo, $20 off the top pack, $5-$10 off your current pack ect... I go as far as to say current subs get better deals than new subs(sometimes)

One can only hope that sooner than later people will catch on to what Dish is selling and it isn't a sat service. More of a dry bend over service.

If Dish is doing something really wrong, they would be losing subs, not gaining them, there are realities to business, some of us may not like how that works, but for the moment, it seems to be working for Dish.

juan said:
E* makes a profit D* doesnt end of story

very true, but that does not make them customer friendly or does that make them the best choice. only the best choice for stock buying, but in the upcoming months, that might change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)