What happened to the PBS stations?

DB10

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 20, 2020
VA
All the PBS stations are out today, just wondered if anyone knows why. There’s the usual message on the screen, we know there’s a problem, don’t call us.

There's an outage in Little rock, but that's the only one I see for right now....
Maybe it’s yet another dispute.

Speaking of which, do you think there’s any hope of being able to watch local teams one day? It’s getting getting pretty tedious not being able to watch the Caps/Nats/O’s. Not sure if you’re in a position to answer, but I get the impression you’re an insider of some sort.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Donations and some financial help from local and federal governments support public tv. The only commercials you see is at the beginning of the show where they thank to companies for supporting them.
I can't imagine them being blocked. With antenna and Hopper usb device, I am getting 4 channels from pbs! Fantastic deal from free tv.

Maybe it’s yet another dispute.

Speaking of which, do you think there’s any hope of being able to watch local teams one day? It’s getting getting pretty tedious not being able to watch the Caps/Nats/O’s. Not sure if you’re in a position to answer, but I get the impression you’re an insider of some sort.
Not a takedown is that's what you mean.

And..I wish. But between the whole Bally kerfuffle, and the team owners.. who knows?

I see customers who are paying hundreds of dollars a year in sports packs, online apps, etc... and STILL being blacked out over and over. It's ridiculous.

Not a takedown is that's what you mean.

And..I wish. But between the whole Bally kerfuffle, and the team owners.. who knows?

I see customers who are paying hundreds of dollars a year in sports packs, online apps, etc... and STILL being blacked out over and over. It's ridiculous.

Yes, that's me. I pay $70/month for YouTube TV to watch Caps games. It's kind of a lot for one channel. I stop it when their season ends though. I like baseball, but not as much as hockey.

PBS stations are still out today...

And...DC area PBS stations still unavailable on Dish today. Channels 26, 32, 62 all show the same slate saying "There is no need to call us. We are aware this TV station is temporarily unavailable and we will have this channel back as quickly as possible." Really tough to keep up with all the murders happening in Oxford & other small English villages. :)

And...DC area PBS stations still unavailable on Dish today. Channels 26, 32, 62 all show the same slate saying "There is no need to call us. We are aware this TV station is temporarily unavailable and we will have this channel back as quickly as possible." Really tough to keep up with all the murders happening in Oxford & other small English villages. :)
Could be an uplink feed that's out...

Turns out that 2 other, non-PBS channels, 20 and 50 are behaving the same, with the same slate as the PBS channels.. All the main network channels (4-NBC, 5-FOX, 7-ABC, 9-CBS) are all OK.

Turns out that 2 other, non-PBS channels, 20 and 50 are behaving the same, with the same slate as the PBS channels.. All the main network channels (4-NBC, 5-FOX, 7-ABC, 9-CBS) are all OK.

Yes, I noticed later those two were out. I don’t watch them so I didn’t notice right away. Channel 8 is out too, not that I care too much.

I tried asking them what was going on, but the rep was unsurprisingly useless. No clue.

Are your locals out of Wilmington? Because I dont show those channels in the DMA other than 26. Thats weird...

Could be an issue with the fiber feed from the local pick up to Dish. Although I'd think they'd put all the stations on a single fiber (with a backup), so that's probably not it. UNLESS they use a separate pickup point for the PBS (don't know how likely that is).

Could also be something at the pickup point itself, but seems strange to be affecting just some of the channels.

Could be an issue with the fiber feed from the local pick up to Dish. Although I'd think they'd put all the stations on a single fiber (with a backup), so that's probably not it. UNLESS they use a separate pickup point for the PBS (don't know how likely that is).

Could also be something at the pickup point itself, but seems strange to be affecting just some of the channels.
Sounds like the typical "we lost the feed from the station - working on it".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts