What happened to the site with great info?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Jimbos said:
JMO, but:

Starz will only be available IF you Sub to Starz, so it is of no use to the majority
NGC does sound like it might be cool, however IF it is a carbon copy of Discovery HD, I really don't need it either.

HGTV would be cool, but is only watched by that perticular type of person, not for everyone, (I do watch it occasionally)

I think D* will have them when everything is squared away.

Voom is loved by everyone, but most did not like it when they had it, too many repeats was the major complaint.

If they want to do HD for channels that are watched occasionally, lets go with the RSN's ......
D* always touts being the HD leader (which thay are not at the moment)
They should be touting themselves as the SPORTS Leader, tthat would be closer to the facts (provided you can afford to pay for all of it) at least it's available.

Jimbo
I subscribe to Starz so I would enjoy getting the HD channel.

While NGC-HD and Discovery-HD offer similar types of programming the actual programs they show are unique to each channel. They are seperate companies. I don't think I would get into HGTV-HD that much but the wife would like channel more.

I'm would like to see the Voom channels myself to see what all the fuss is about and even if it isn't all that, there can't really be any bad HD. I think some of us would watch grass grow if it was in HD. :D

uncrules said:
I subscribe to Starz so I would enjoy getting the HD channel.

While NGC-HD and Discovery-HD offer similar types of programming the actual programs they show are unique to each channel. They are seperate companies. I don't think I would get into HGTV-HD that much but the wife would like channel more.

I'm would like to see the Voom channels myself to see what all the fuss is about and even if it isn't all that, there can't really be any bad HD. I think some of us would watch grass grow if it was in HD. :D

Your wife and all the others are waiting for the FOOD Network in HD !!!! I bet it will be comeing too....

I would hate to see them add all the Voom channels and then people decide they are no what there all cracked up to be, then not have room for other stuff when it comes out.

Still voting for the FSN's

Jimbo

To add to that: I can see the cost going up to do so (add Voom to the current HD pack) AND THEN people seeing that they lose interest in them after 60 days or so; but too late. To remedy that, maybe IF they add it, they can make it its own addition so it can easily be removed by itself.

charper1 said:
To add to that: I can see the cost going up to do so (add Voom to the current HD pack) AND THEN people seeing that they lose interest in them after 60 days or so; but too late. To remedy that, maybe IF they add it, they can make it its own addition so it can easily be removed by itself.

Or they could set up a package where you can choose the HD channels you want at a pre determined price.

Heck, I would be happy if D* just offered some first run HD movies on Channel 99 (by first run I mean for PPV). I mean show Kong, Chronicles of Narnia, Goblet of Fire, etc. instead of movies no one ever heard of or really cares about. With almost a million HD viewers, D* would stand to make some bucks also. If they did this while waiting for the new HD lineup, I would be much happier. It doesn't take up any more bandwith either cause its already been allocated.

Somehow with HD DVD and Blu-Ray looming I think they may see the writing on the wall about HD PPV; DVD gets released as soon or a bit earlier correct? I mean don't kill it (HD PPV) all together, but I can't see them having any more than 2 channels until 2007 or 2008.

Jimbos said:
JMO, but:

Starz will only be available IF you Sub to Starz, so it is of no use to the majority
NGC does sound like it might be cool, however IF it is a carbon copy of Discovery HD, I really don't need it either.

HGTV would be cool, but is only watched by that perticular type of person, not for everyone, (I do watch it occasionally)

I think D* will have them when everything is squared away.

Voom is loved by everyone, but most did not like it when they had it, too many repeats was the major complaint.

If they want to do HD for channels that are watched occasionally, lets go with the RSN's ......
D* always touts being the HD leader (which thay are not at the moment)
They should be touting themselves as the SPORTS Leader, tthat would be closer to the facts (provided you can afford to pay for all of it) at least it's available.

Jimbo

That the case with Starz? Then D* shouldn't include Sho-HD or HBO-HD in their "numbers" they offer!

The median income of HGTV viewers...... $65000/year I believe that says enough.

Now lets talk about bandwidth! How many Shopping channels do we need and what kind of bandwidth do they take up? I actually would like to know, not a rhetorical question.

Why did it take so long to get TNTHD? Almost 1 year after Dish got it? Come on!!!
NFL ST??!!!??? This will be a joke as so many games will now be on FOX, NBC, ESPN, NFL NETWORK and if you are lucky enough to get some Significantly viewed locals....maybe even a different game on each FOX! Talk about a waste of Bandwidth!!!! And I am an advid NFL fan and NFL Fantasy League multiple champion! Anyway.....D* step up to the plate and do something, quit letting E* be the clean-up hitter!!!

J_slimz said:
That the case with Starz? Then D* shouldn't include Sho-HD or HBO-HD in their "numbers" they offer!

The median income of HGTV viewers...... $65000/year I believe that says enough.

Now lets talk about bandwidth! How many Shopping channels do we need and what kind of bandwidth do they take up? I actually would like to know, not a rhetorical question.

Why did it take so long to get TNTHD? Almost 1 year after Dish got it? Come on!!!
NFL ST??!!!??? This will be a joke as so many games will now be on FOX, NBC, ESPN, NFL NETWORK and if you are lucky enough to get some Significantly viewed locals....maybe even a different game on each FOX! Talk about a waste of Bandwidth!!!! And I am an advid NFL fan and NFL Fantasy League multiple champion! Anyway.....D* step up to the plate and do something, quit letting E* be the clean-up hitter!!!

=========================================================
Ok, I'll concede, you just don't agree with my opinion, which is fine ....

1. Then D* shouldn't include Sho-HD or HBO-HD in their "numbers" they offer!

I agree, but all the people that DO watch the movie channels and have HD would dis -agree with you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. The median income of HGTV viewers...... $65000/year I believe that says enough.

Ok
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. I agree again, lets take ALL the shopping channels off the air, that should free up a little space, not alot, but anything will help. I personally have no need for the shopping channels, however alot of the channels you want to watch are related to these shopping channels, so the owners will say IF you want "So and So" you will have to take x, y,and z shopping channels or we don't have a contract.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Why did it take so long to get TNTHD? Almost 1 year after Dish got it? Come on!!!

I don't remember what the issue was with that, sorry...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. NFL ST??!!!??? This will be a joke as so many games will now be on FOX, NBC, ESPN, NFL NETWORK and if you are lucky enough to get some Significantly viewed locals....maybe even a different game on each FOX! Talk about a waste of Bandwidth!!!!

The way I see it, I could get 4 Network games a week. Thursday, Sunday (1pm and 4), (I know ESPN is not a network, but trying to account for games not on ST) and Monday. Not sure if Thursday is all year....Most of the time the SV channel has the same game, at least in my area, cable will actually black it out.
NO ST wouild put a cramp on all the people who root for teams that are no longer in thier hometown area.

I would rather have my own choose as to which game I want to watch.
I remember when you would only have 2 games all w/e to watch. and NO ESPN for highlights, there was no fantasy football, had to wait till Monday night halftime to see the Sunday highlights from Howard Cossell.......

So I guess I do agree with you more than we thought, but we all have our own opinions, thats why were here....:up

Jimbo

D* Customer Morale

This is a good topic. I spend time reading D* and Apple Computer forums and man is there a difference in the enthusiasm! While Apple often misses their deadlines the people know that at the end of the day they're going to get a killer product. Not so with D*. I think we need to figure out a way to get Steve Jobs. He is all inovation and what's his his face is all sqeeze as much out of us as he can. Not that Jobs doesn't do well and Apple overcharges but people get so enthusiastic about the products they don't seem to mind. I tell you if I really need to change the cabling in my house because the new Mpeg4 equipment requires RG-6 and my house is wired with RG-59 I'm going to be hating life. I'll have some installer draping cable all over the outside of my house? My wife is going to kill me!

Proc said:
I, for one, am a bit glad they are taking their sweet time with adding more HD and the transition into MPEG4.

With all the pixelization and audio sync issues nationwide with the Big 4 (Fox/CBS/NBC/ABC) via MPEG4, its quite obvious D* needs to work out the bugs before they deliver a bunch of new HD content via MPEG4.

Can you imagine the complaining if they added a bunch of national, MPEG4 channels only to have all of them have the pixelization/audio sync issues?

I guess this is where I am the most frustrated with D*....basically turning their subscriber base into beta testers. WHY are they having these issues with the MPEG4 signals at this pont? They had to have tested this before rolling it out, which tells me they new it was screwed up from the start. I can tolerate bugginess in the way a new piece of equipment may function [slow response, etc.], but I give no quarter to D* for this MPEG4 issue. No excuses in my opinion. May explain why the MPEG4 DVR is still in name only because no one wants to record pixelized programming.

Its always the next year that things are going to be better...I wonder...

Alan Lackey said:
Its always the next year that things are going to be better...I wonder...

Alan,

I dont think there is any question that next year is a make or break year for Directv. Many of the loyal subs (myself included) have waited patiently for D* to get their ducks in a row before making a decision.

Im disappointed with the overall PQ and with the limited amount of HD choices. I have been told that things will get better once all the birds are up and that life will be good. When the Sats are up in '07, and D* still doesnt have their house in order it might be time to make a move.

ST is still a big draw for me, but I may have to lose it.

boston area dtv said:
Alan,

I dont think there is any question that next year is a make or break year for Directv. Many of the loyal subs (myself included) have waited patiently for D* to get their ducks in a row before making a decision.

Im disappointed with the overall PQ and with the limited amount of HD choices. I have been told that things will get better once all the birds are up and that life will be good. When the Sats are up in '07, and D* still doesnt have their house in order it might be time to make a move.

ST is still a big draw for me, but I may have to lose it.

Ditto

D* will have to do something spectacular to keep me as a customer in a couple of years. Once MPEG-4 is the standard and my HR10-250 doesn't get programming I want I will look around. I care more about Tivo than my content provider. If FIOS comes to the house (it's in the area) AND they partner with Tivo I will be a FIOS guy. Heck, I will consider Comcast if/when their dual-tuner Tivo hits the market.

I may go Comcast if they get a few more HD channels in my area. Right now D* has more (and HD Tivo) but the big decider will be direct capturing in my Windows Media Center. First one with direct capturing and more HD channels will win.

Who will win my money in 2007 (potentially $1200 per year not including hardware)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)