What Happenned to Education Channel ?

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
I know this channel is problably a reletively unknown channel to most subscribers of Dishnetwork as it up in the (9000 range of channels,9417)
This channel plays alot of old classic TV shows that you cant see anywhere else ,like I married Joan,The Lucy Show ,Ozzie and Harriet plus quite a few really old movies.I came to watch this channel frequently although its only a SD format.This Channel was always best to DVR the shows as you could skip over the ads trying to sell you learning material.Just curious has anyone else discovered this channel.This is the Channel that TVLand should be,(or used to be).For the last couple of weeks this channel has been off the Air.I hope dish isnt trying to eliminate this channel.All you see on this channel now is a banner from Dish saying this channel will be back shortly,its been like this for at least 2 weeks.
Hopefully it will come back soon,I am emailing Dish telling them we miss this channel.I just wanted more people to discover this Channel and to send Dish a message to fix the problem(more inquiries the better).Its a decent Channel and more people should be aware of it.

This is part of the Public Interest package, which you can get for free but must lately request it. Great package.

And Juan, where does it say they have to pay? I'd understood that Dish et al are required to carry a certain amount of public interest programming.

This is part of the Public Interest package, which you can get for free but must lately request it. Great package.

And Juan, where does it say they have to pay? I'd understood that Dish et al are required to carry a certain amount of public interest programming.

They are but they can recoup some costs:

"To qualify for a slot, a {PI} programmer needs only to have nonprofit status and pay a monthly fee equal to at most half the satellite distributor’s cost to make the channel available."

source LA Times:

Despite Satellite Policy, Ads Fly - Los Angeles Times

I am not home, so I can not answer the OPs question - is it still on the air on dish?

I emailed them !

I auctually emailed this channel in the past and have had quick responses back,so I emailed them again and ask what going on.As soon as I get a response I will update on this post.

I know this channel is problably a reletively unknown channel to most subscribers of Dishnetwork as it up in the (9000 range of channels,9417)
This channel plays alot of old classic TV shows that you cant see anywhere else ,like I married Joan,The Lucy Show ,Ozzie and Harriet plus quite a few really old movies.I came to watch this channel frequently although its only a SD format.This Channel was always best to DVR the shows as you could skip over the ads trying to sell you learning material.Just curious has anyone else discovered this channel.This is the Channel that TVLand should be,(or used to be).For the last couple of weeks this channel has been off the Air.I hope dish isnt trying to eliminate this channel.All you see on this channel now is a banner from Dish saying this channel will be back shortly,its been like this for at least 2 weeks.
Hopefully it will come back soon,I am emailing Dish telling them we miss this channel.I just wanted more people to discover this Channel and to send Dish a message to fix the problem(more inquiries the better).Its a decent Channel and more people should be aware of it.

I agree (I think I may have brought this up a while back).

Watching "I Married Joan", "Ann Southern Show (Private Secretary)" and "My Little Margie" is the closest I have to actually going back in time; unfortunately, I neglect to DVR them and when I tune to 9417 there's usually an infomercial airing.

I haven't tried to watch the channel lately, though. Hope they're still broadcasting.

I got a response back from Dishnetwork today and here is what they said about Educator TV''Due to ongoing signal problems Dishnetwork will no longer be carrying this channel""
And then it goes on to say (like we really Care)that Dishnetwork is the only service to carry this channel.
Well since Dishnetwork couldnt fix signal problems,it virtually has put this channel out of Business.
I never had any signal or reception issues with this channel,other than when they took it down.
Dishnetwork another great move on your part,just another reason to add to my reasons to move to another service.When something breaks you try and fix it,and just dont throw it away.Must be making room for another PPV channel in HD to bring it up to 150 by end of year!

Are you sure it's Dish's fault? Are you sure they're still on the air? Their website says they're on AMC4, but they're not currently listed on LyngSat or TheList.

PI channels, especially those on 61.5, seem to come and go.
Educator TV may not be able to continue.
On the bright side, maybe another "classic TV" style PI channel may take its place.

PI channels, especially those on 61.5, seem to come and go.
Educator TV may not be able to continue.
On the bright side, maybe another "classic TV" style PI channel may take its place.

Hey DISH, PLEASE put this channel in EDUCATOR TV'S place:

americanlife television network

I used to watch Educator all the time, and now that it's gone, American Life would make a perfect replacement!

I so wish Dish Network would finally add AmericanLife TV, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd say this is 2nd only to YES Network in terms of likelihood of EVER being carried.

Well, AmericanLife wouldn't qualify as a PI, unless they agreed to provide a separate non-commercial feed to Dish with "underwriting" instead of commercials. Then again, some of the PI channels seem to get away with showing quite a few infomercials at times. Hmm.

Are you sure it's Dish's fault? Are you sure they're still on the air? Their website says they're on AMC4, but they're not currently listed on LyngSat or TheList.

Educator TV left AMC-4 a few weeks ago. So DISH has no way to get Educator TV (and thus the "signal issues").

The weird thing is that the last time I checked Educator TV's web site, you could watch their programming. Maybe they went internet stream only since it's cheaper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)