What Happens To Old Dish Satellites (Do They Just Remain In Degrading GEO)?

Form further readings, I came to the conclusion, it's just too dangerous to try to capture and return SATs, due fuel, chemicals, etc. I guess there really isn't much we can do, other than possibly, put them into inclining orbits that would continue to expand to the point they'd possibly break orbit, and drift away, but it probably isn't as simple as that...

Thanks for all of your inputs... I've learned allot... but must admit, it's a little depressing considering all this crap is pretty much there, forever... and it will continue to accumulate... :(

Only one orbit what could allow to 'drift away' is that what make by Moon gravity and/or right vector created by the sat's engine(s).
All other chances are nil.

Only one orbit what could allow to 'drift away' is that what make by Moon gravity and/or right vector created by the sat's engine(s).
All other chances are nil.

a.) If in and inclined orbit, drawn to the moon by gravitational forces, would it impact the moon's surface (potential junk/bone yard...)?

b.) I would guess a considerable amount of fuel would be required to push SATs out of orbit... fuel that would normally be dedicated to maintain GEO.

c.) What about a dedicated engine for sole proposed purpose of disposal...? Push the SAT out of orbit... I know the additional weight, as far as launch, would be costly, etc... but wouldn't the option of pushing SATs out, make more sense than endless accumulations? And I understand, what's already there, is there...

Is the 'junk yard orbit' lower than existing GEOs, do they remain there indefinitely, or do their orbits degrade as well, eventually?

Does moving them to the 'junk yard orbit' eliminate them from drift and creating potential hazardous issues for other types of missions (manned and unmanned)?

Is there any intent on trying to destroy these satellites by pushing them into reentry?

I understand, the military tests in destroying these satellites creates thousands of pieces of space junk that has to be tracked, forever, therefor, clearly not a viable option.

What sparked my curiosity...? Recent failures, and I took my 8 year old daughter to see 'Wall-e' (I thought it absolutely excellent!), and the vision of space junk orbiting the Earth, in the distant future (and understand, was clearly exaggerated), but did make me think... what does happen to satellites, etc, and what about their accumulations?

You could probably have 1 billion satellites out there and the sky would still not be littered. Wall-E had a lot of leftest crazy stuff in there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)