what HD channels will come next?

I believe it was posted in another thread that Tribune and Dish were close to a deal for WGN and the missing Tribune owned fox local stations... so that would be next. And then the Viacom suite in the next month or two.

any updates or news on this rumor // Tribune and local FOX stations? that would be cool IMHO

C'mon C-Span HD! Can't wait to see all the senators in their wrinkly imperfection. Wait, is C-span the house or the senate.... ah, hell - give us c-span 1 and 2 HD! (and 3 while they're at it!!!)

wILL THE LADIES LOOK AS GOOD IN hd??

I have read that because of that issue the transition to HD has met with some resistance. Same thing happened because of certain TV news people. In the end they demanded and got soft focus on their shots. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of HD.

Oh... one reason why the resistance to HD is that we might see the scars from all those boob jobs. :D

I caught the Omen on TMC... in SD.. but w/out commercials so it blew Chiller right out of contention.

The only time I will watch Chiller is via DVR so I can skip all the damn adverts every 8 minutes. Chiller can stay SD for all I care. Just another marketing tool.

Actually TCM might also be a pretty good HD channel but maybe they arent planning one yet. And no commercials! I did tend to watch it more than Monsters but I would still like both. :D

Edit: Oh, and yes I did mean TCM and not TMC.

Last edited:
Are there plans for a TCM HD? Wow, as a classic movie lover that would be the best channel ever, even more than Monsters HD. ;) Something tells me it would be stretchorama like TNT and TBS, however.

The problem with ever starting a TCM HD would be source material. Many of the studios have no high definition masters yet for many of the classics, even less as they get to be the 30's, 40's and 50's. So I don't see how TCM could do high def unless they do it part time, and show standard def when that's all the studios can make available to them. Personally, I'd LOVE TCM-HD. I am hoping they add the rest of Starz hd channels, I really like MGM HD, but I really miss Monsters HD and Filmfest. But as for TCM, that's going to be very hard to do..the studios have only begun to clean up their older libraries, so how much they could actually offer in high def from the 30's through the 50's is really questionable.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind at least a TCM-HD that's upscaled so we don't have to stretch the letterbox image to fit the tv, and I am sure there are SOME movies the studios have mastered in hd, so it wouldn't bother me to have some in sd and some in hd, depending on what is available to them.

My sister works at Paramount and I can tell you that the studios have not even scratched the surface of remastering their classic movie libraries for high def. Some of the bigger classics have been remastered in 1080, but so far the libraries available to TCM would be small in HD. I can tell you they are moving fast to restore as many as they can, without rushing...they want to do prestine high def transfers instead of quicky transfers. With cable/sat high def and blu-ray, they want the best transfers of their library as they can do..within budget limitations (urgghh)

Last edited:
Another problem for TCM HD is that most movies prior to the late 50's were shot in an aspect ratio closer to 16:9, so it would probably not be worth it to transfer them.

Last edited:
Somehow I sense the Viacom channels are coming next:

VHI
MTV
COMEDY
SPIKE
SHOWTIME suite and THE MOVIE CHANNEL

It's just a hunch on my part though.

Another problem for TCM HD is that most movies prior to the late 50's were shot in an aspect ratio closer to 16:9, so it would probably not be worth it to transfer them.

But I sure hope they do. If they took a good surviving print or negative of a 30's, 40's or 50's movie and did a very good remaster for high def, any movie from the period could look stunning, it's all going to be a matter of what surviving film elements they have, and I think every film will have different quality in HD from that period, because it depends on what survives as the source material.

Warner has been doing some good restorations...yesterday they announced doing a 6K digital restoration (the first for a classic) of A STAR IS BORN (Judy Garland), intending it for high def. So it is starting finally, and that's where TCM-HD would be awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)