What HD channels will Dish add?

I probably watch SPIKE HD more than any other HD channel and they show a lot of HD content (seems like more and more each week) from movies like Star Wars to repeat shows like CSI. If you guys like these sort of programs, SPIKE HD would be one you should want.

What you guys have that I wish Direct would add would be Travel HD and WGN HD, other than that, everything else is just icing on the cake.

Is there some dispute with Viacom ??

I know about the legal disputes with Fox and Rainbow...

No lawsuits, just some old bad blood. I believe there was a rather ugly yanking of Viacom channels a number of years ago.

However, of the 3 big providers left, they definitely have the best relationship right now (that's not saying much). They did manage to get MHD. Perhaps there is another issue delaying these nets.

Also, there is the rumor that MTV2 HD is being added to Directv. This makes another potential channel( I don't see why, though, as MTV1 has yet to show any HD itself).

Last edited:
Thanks to the link provided by HDRoberts and the rest of us, here is what I've come up with as a list of those channels that are available or will be available by the end of the year. I manage to come up with 28 national channels. Voom not included (since that will never happen). You thrown in a few RSNs they are missing and you could see 150 by the end of the year.

1 Mojo HD
2 Speed HD
3 Fox News HD
4 Fox Business News HD
5 MTV HD
6 VH1 HD
7 CMT HD
8 Spike HD
9 Nick HD
10 FX HD
11 Fuel HD
12 AMC HD
13 IFC HD
14 Fuse HD
15 WE HD
16 QVC HD
17 Outdoor Channel HD
18 Penthouse TV HD
19 Cinemax - ThrillerMax HD
20 Cinemax - OuterMax HD
21 Cinemax - @Max Hd
22 ESPNU HD - Coming Soon
23 MSNBC HD - Coming Soon
24 BBC America HD - Coming Soon
25 Comedy Central HD - Coming Soon
26 E! HD - Coming Soon
27 Sleuth HD - Coming Soon
28 truTV HD - Coming Soon
29-35 - RSNs currently missing

The highest rated channel that Dish Network does not have in HD is Nickelodeon HD.

As mentioned, Dish has had some incidents with Viacom, but they did add "MHD" not long ago, so it seems unlikely that there is anything that would get in the way of exchanging large sums of $$$.

I would look for the Viacom HD channels to be added within the next month or two.

Between Nickelodeon HD and Spike HD, you cover a lot of the demographics...

It could even be as soon as EchoStar 11 takes over for EchoStar 8 at 110 West, although one would think that marketing people would rather do any PR after the Olympics, so September 1st sounds plausible. And the Viacom HD channels are exactly the sort that Dish likes to put at 110, since they are in AT100...

yes High def violence and politics far exceeds standard def. i never feel connected to the murder scene news with sd like i do on HD

There is more than murder and politics. There is no difference between watching HD News vs HD Baseball. Except that one is entertainment and one is for sport. I will leave it to you to decide which is which.

The highest rated channel that Dish Network does not have in HD is Nickelodeon HD.

As mentioned, Dish has had some incidents with Viacom, but they did add "MHD" not long ago, so it seems unlikely that there is anything that would get in the way of exchanging large sums of $$$.

I would look for the Viacom HD channels to be added within the next month or two.

Between Nickelodeon HD and Spike HD, you cover a lot of the demographics...

Don't forget Comedy Central HD, which hopefully Viacom is working on. Stewart and Colbert are very popular, especially as we inch up on the elections.

If Dish really wants to sell their Turbo packs, Viacom needs to be a top priority. I suspect Nick, Spike, and Comedy Central, and perhaps even MTV, are must haves in a lot of households, and right now, several of the are Directv exclusives, which can't be good for PR.

Are CSPAN and CSPAN2 part of the HD Absolute Package?

Nope. (I looked)

((snip...))
1 Mojo HD
2 Speed HD
3 Fox News HD
4 Fox Business News HD
5 MTV HD
6 VH1 HD
7 CMT HD
8 Spike HD
9 Nick HD
10 FX HD
11 Fuel HD
12 AMC HD
13 IFC HD
14 Fuse HD
15 WE HD
16 QVC HD
17 Outdoor Channel HD
18 Penthouse TV HD
19 Cinemax - ThrillerMax HD
20 Cinemax - OuterMax HD
21 Cinemax - @Max Hd
22 ESPNU HD - Coming Soon
23 MSNBC HD - Coming Soon
24 BBC America HD - Coming Soon
25 Comedy Central HD - Coming Soon
26 E! HD - Coming Soon
27 Sleuth HD - Coming Soon
28 truTV HD - Coming Soon
29-35 - RSNs currently missing
I would love to see more Max's (gotta love the PennyMAX) but they would more likely be showtime HD's. Also one of those RSN channels could be the extra channel they need when Golf and Versus split.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)