What if D* does add new HD channels? $

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Apologist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2005
Gosh- I am afraid to think of the $ increase once D* does add new channels to the package. It wouldn't be so bad if we just paid for HD but they force us to pay for all the crap sd channels too. You know that espn2 and Tnt will come at a price but what if they add more? We could actually be paying over $20 for hd on top of the base packages. I think D* has smelled blood by charging extra for hd and will continue to go in for the kill. All this supposed hd will come at a price to the consumer. I don't mind paying alittle extra but this seems to be getting out of hand. When will it stop?

When we all switch to comcast! Have you seen the new onDemand stuff? Pretty cool. I think my local comcast is only charging $5 more a month for HD and I would get all the locals. Now because I just bought my HD receiver in Nov 04, I gotta wait. I have to pay for the second IRD and the high HD price now. Of course, I thought I was buying the HD IRD for Sunday Ticket..but I just cancelled that too....

It's too bad VOOM bit the dust...fortunately, other video providers like Verizon and SBC are coming online. Increased competition should lead to more choices and better pricing...we hope! I am now with E*, but I'll be watching what D* does over the coming months. The provider with the most HD and best price will earn my viewing dollar.

The simple reply I see is just change providers. That however doesn't take into account what you have invested with them. I have the hdtivo and two other hd stbs. That is a lot of money tied up with them. I guess ebay is one option but with D*'s announced plan stbs are not worth what they used to be. They have until this big announcement to increase quality/quantity (Summer). If that doesn't happen and we are made to wait until the next sat goes up I will be leaving.

Every provider will most likely boost prices as they are able to offer more HD content. The question is, where is the ceiling for this? If you ask me, D* is already close to charging too much even if they added the popular HD channels that aren't yet available.

I think at some point, maybe 2-3 years down the road, you will finally see the cost of HD programming level out to what we are paying for SD today.

zaydon said:
When we all switch to comcast! Have you seen the new onDemand stuff? Pretty cool. I think my local comcast is only charging $5 more a month for HD and I would get all the locals. Now because I just bought my HD receiver in Nov 04, I gotta wait. I have to pay for the second IRD and the high HD price now. Of course, I thought I was buying the HD IRD for Sunday Ticket..but I just cancelled that too....

Comcast dosen't charge for HD pack anymore it part of Digital Classic package has long has you have an HD box or HD DVR.

Well...one thing is for sure , its not going to be a 5 buck increase like Dish. Im just afraid that I wont be able to afford the increase once it happens. I already cant afford the NFLHD pack...or the fights in HD. Im going to wait this out until the end of the summer to see exactly what Direct does.

Apologist said:
The simple reply I see is just change providers.
Don't forget that for a lot of us, the only other available HD provider is Dish.

If you're in an area that offers HD via cable, yes that is a viable option, but that doesn't apply to everyone...

I'm in the same boat. I don't like what both D* and E* are doing with HD so far, but I don't have any other choice. I live in rural South Dakota so there is NO cable company here at all. It's either satellite or nothing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts