What is a starband dish considered?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rhinohd

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 28, 2005
NW Chicago Burbs
I have a starband dish and was wondering if it's considered a dish500? I guess what I am asking is what it's Dishnetwork equivalent? I do have a sw44 hooked up to it (if that helps to determine it).

You can receive 119/110 off of a starband dish if you have the correct bracket. there are two different brackets available one if your starband is pointed at 101 and another if it's pointed at 129.

It's acting the same as a Legacy D500. This is NOT easily expandable.

Assuming your concern is in trying to get 61.5:
  • If you only have 2 tuners, your best bet is to hang a D500/DPP-Twin and a D300/DP Single feeding the DPP-Twin's input port
  • If you have more than 2 tuners, but no Legacy ones, then it's a D500/DP-Twin, D300/DP Single, and a DP34
  • If you need to keep the E* LNBs on the *B dish, get a SW64, D300, and Legacy DUAL.

Rhinohd said:
I have a starband dish and was wondering if it's considered a dish500? I guess what I am asking is what it's Dishnetwork equivalent? I do have a sw44 hooked up to it (if that helps to determine it).

You can easily expand this by swapping out the SW44 for an SW64 and adding the 61.5 with a dual LNB. Or, you can add the 61.5 to ports 2 thru 4 of the SW44 with an SW21. I did a detailed post about this. Check it out.

My issue is that I already have 2 dishes. One is the starband and one is a dish 500. I would need to feed 6 receivers off the starband dish and use the dish 500 for the 61.5 feed. Can I feed 6 receivers off one dish?

Rhinohd said:
My issue is that I already have 2 dishes. One is the starband and one is a dish 500. I would need to feed 6 receivers off the starband dish and use the dish 500 for the 61.5 feed. Can I feed 6 receivers off one dish?
Not really.

It's time for you to bite the bullet and go DishPro.

You don't tell us what your receivers are, so I can't say more than that.

My equipment is in my Sig but I will list them again :)

921 2 inputs
2 x's 101 ( think that’s what they are)

Can I just slap a dishpro LNB on the starband dish? I mean the actual dish is freaking huge?

Whats the diffrence between the DishPro and the Dish 500?

I'd forget the Starband dish. Keep the Dish500 and place a DishPro twin on it. Get a Dish300 or an older Hughes DirecTV "D" tube lnb mount and place a DishPro single on it. Run all feeds to a DP34; then to another DP34. You will now have eight receiver outlets. DP34s and DishPro twins are really cheap on eBay. The DishPro singles are cheap there, too.

So, why bother with the Starband dish?

You can do it, but it is complicated with legacy receivers. What you would need is 6 power blocking splitters, 2 SW64s, and a lot of wires and connectors. And no, you cannot mount DP LNBs onto a starband dish. It uses the rectangula LNBS, and the D shaped DP LNBs will not fit properly. So, it's either really complicated or at least 3 dishes - Starband, & D500, D300 with DP switches. Good luck.

Ok, this is what I am going to do.

Buy a dish 500 with a dishPro dual lnB
2 dp34's
one dual or single to put up on the dish 500 dish I have now (point it at 61.5).
I understand it now.

One last question. Can I just run the 3 cables into the house and keep the switches inside? Does distance prior to a switch effect the signal? I would rather only run 3 lines into the house then 6 (just to keep it neat). The distance would be about 20 feet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)