What is a wing Dish?

rhdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I am in South Texas, I have the two dish setup. One for 110,119 and another for 61.5. I get every hd channel but FoxSW (it is only on 129) I have heard you can use a "wing dish"to pick it up. I assume it am oval dish I have seen around town but not sure. I want to keep my 61.5 dish and get Foxsw in Hd. Will a wing dish do this?? I have a two story house so line of sight should not be an issue. Please enlighten me on this subject. I have searched some threads, but I am still unclear as to a solution that will work for me.

You can keep the two-dish setup (your 61.5 dish is considered a "wing dish"). To pick up the 129, the easiest solution would be to acquire a 1000.2 Dish that uses an Integrated LNB to hit the 110, 119, and 129 on one dish. The Integrated LNB also has an input so you can plug your 61.5 dish in with no extra equipment (it'll feed up to three dual tuner receivers). Any more detail on your system? LNB's you have now and model of receivers that need hooking up?

I have a 722 and a 522(?) I am not at home to check the lnb I think it says dpp pro. I will check when I get home. It came with the 500 dish, which the 61.5 connents to right now, with 2 cable coming off the 100/119 dish. The 522 does not see the hd channels but it does show me the you have 61.5 channel. I will get back with more details, thanks.

The dish that says dpp pro look to the southeast sky, I assume that was the 61.5 dish and the other dish looks to the southwest sky as th 199/110 it has an lnb that says dppplus. The oval dish would go the southwestern dish, Correct?

129 exclusion zone

I can't find the map right now, but Dish won't install 129 dishes in parts of south TX, south FL, and northern NE. It will work if you have LOS to 129, but you'll probably have to do it yourself.

Regards, Eric

That may be true, if it is they were not thinking when putting foxSW hd on 129 if it cannot cover all the zones that it would be a RSN. Thanks for the help guys. I am going to try to get my hands on an oval dish.

If Fox SW is your subscribed RSN, then I believe Dish will provide the hardware needed to receive that programming at no cost to you.

Found map

I found the Dish1000 exclusion map and sure enough Corpus is one of the "excluded" DMAs. I guess the footprint must not cover that area very well, 'cause it is high enough so you should be able to see it.
Anyway, I would suspect that Dish will not provide the equipment at no charge, so you'll have to do it yourself or pay someone. I'd try to swing the 61.5 dish first and see if there is anything there at all. If you can see some signal with the 61.5 dish, you can always get a larger (30" or so) dish to bring in more signal. My sat locator program shows (for Corpus)
61.5 -az 122.8 (true) el 39.0
129 - az 232.8 (true) el 42.5

Disclaimer-Dish is always moving things around, and we know that something will happen "soon" with expanded HD offerings, so if you don't have a hobbiest's attitude and pocketbook, you might want to sit tight for a while.

Good Luck, Eric

I found the Dish1000 exclusion map and sure enough Corpus is one of the "excluded" DMAs. I guess the footprint must not cover that area very well, 'cause it is high enough so you should be able to see it.
Anyway, I would suspect that Dish will not provide the equipment at no charge, so you'll have to do it yourself or pay someone. I'd try to swing the 61.5 dish first and see if there is anything there at all. If you can see some signal with the 61.5 dish, you can always get a larger (30" or so) dish to bring in more signal. My sat locator program shows (for Corpus)
61.5 -az 122.8 (true) el 39.0
129 - az 232.8 (true) el 42.5

Disclaimer-Dish is always moving things around, and we know that something will happen "soon" with expanded HD offerings, so if you don't have a hobbiest's attitude and pocketbook, you might want to sit tight for a while.

Good Luck, Eric

Can you share the link to the map?

Yea , I see alot going on behind the scenes,I hope it turns out well for us. I got my hands on a dish 1000 setup, complete with lnb. I will play with it to see what kind of results I get without disturbing my present setup. The fact I found one in town is a good sign, though it was on top of a 7 story building with great line of site. It time I got my feet wet with all this anyway. I know the LNB has three feedhorns and dpp plus on it. That all I could get over the phone. I will know more this afternoon, thanks again for all this great information. I am new to all this, but I am trying to educate myself.... fairly quickly thanks to you guys. I find all these topics very helpful, I believe a hobby is forming.

The Dish 1000 will probably not be able to pull in 129 for you. Exchange the wing dish for a larger round dish made for one sat, such as a 24 or 30 inch dish to look at 129. 129 is very weak in deep south Texas you need more than a D1000 or even a D300 at wing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)