what is AD))) ?

seenett

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Eugene, Oregon, United States
So I don't know if this is a Hopper, DISH, or network thing. But what is the AD))) logo that has been appearing at the start of a few network programs (along with a musical tone)? Any ideas?

photo-1.JPG

I've seen D))) at the beginning of some program. It means the program is broadcast in Dolby Digital where available. DD 5.1 is standard on HD channels, but not all programs are broadcast in DD. I don't know what AD))) is unless the program has AC3 as well.

It's for descriptive video. Basically a narrator describes what happens on the screen for the visually impaired. The FCC has mandated a certain amount of network programming a week must contain it. Soon it will be a must like closed captioning.

I can accept that, but the Descriptive Audio logo I've seen is the AD in a little square cartoon box pointing to the bottom right. This is why I didn't make the connection. :)

No.. the closed captioned logo is a CC in a square cartoon box with the pointing arrow coming from the bottom left. The AD logo I've seen is in a slightly different (rounded) square box and the arrow is coming from the bottom right.

But still, I find it kind of funny that there would be a special logo to alert the visually impaired. :D

It stands for Audio Description (AD). Kind of strange as it's teleVISION. The Sunday animated shows on FOX have it.

Come on folks, this is the 21st century. Let's not be narrow minded please. Visually impaired people watch TV, buy DVDs and A/V equipment just like anyone else. I'm totally blind, have a Hopper and 2 Joeys, and a DVD collection of over 600 titles. I have a fairly high end A/V 7.1 setup and a 65" Plasma in our home entertainment room. My wife is sighted and enjoys the big TV but I enjoy everything else including watching TV and movies just as much as anyone else does and my dollars are just as green as everyone elses. The word "watch" is just a figurative term of course. I have a Sling Adapter and stream Dish content to my iPhone, yes, I use an iPhone just like thousands of others because Apple has made their products accessible to everyone including those that are blind or visually impaired..

It's about time the FCC started doing something about Audio Description. It's very helpful but I do just fine without it as well. You would be amazed how much you can get about what's going on by listening to the music, sound affects and the dialog. Sure, I do miss some things, but it's still entertainment that I love and pay for with money that I worked for like everyone else.

Sorry for the rant but I think some folks need to expand the way they view disabilities and be better informed.

Rick Alfaro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts