What is Dish not Activating now?

Kaydigi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
Knowing that Ebay may soon be flooded with 942s, I wanted to know is Dish activating 942's still? Or since Feb 1 they are only activating 211/411 and the vaporware 622's?

If they aren't activating the 942's anymore I was thinking of using the Dish it Up promotion. If do that towards a 522/625 will I own the box or would I be leasing them?

The initial promotion I signed up for 2 years ago is when you own your equipment.

Thank You for the information, I wanted to get proper info before I get the CSR run around.

Thank you for the info.

1 dumb question in the 942 is the OTA content recordable?

Last edited:
They will probably activate the receivers, but you will not be able to add HD programming if you do not already have the HD programming currently on your account. I plan to add my 6000U to my account eventually so that I can get it replaced with a new unit when they allow those of us who own them to own the replacements. Of course, I already have an 811 with the current HD programming, so adding the 6000U should be no problem.

Hmmm, so I guess I should keep my 811 active then with the old HD package + voom for now otherwise if I cancel it and then try to activate it in the future I won't be able to? I'm waiting to see how the 622 will behave first before I get. then I may purchase it and have a la carte HD + movie channels.

larrystotler said:
They will probably activate the receivers, but you will not be able to add HD programming if you do not already have the HD programming currently on your account. I plan to add my 6000U to my account eventually so that I can get it replaced with a new unit when they allow those of us who own them to own the replacements. Of course, I already have an 811 with the current HD programming, so adding the 6000U should be no problem.

"...if I cancel it and then try to activate it in the future I won't be able to?..."

That's right. You'll never get HD again on a 6000/811/921/942 if you cancel the HD package. Then your only option to get HD in the future will be to subscribe to a metallic package.

Yep. Unless they deactivate HD reception on that 811. It will be interesting to see how Dish handles that kind of case. You think they've considered that possibility?

I wonder how low the prices for the 942 will go on ebay... If they go low enough, I may consider buying one, and replacing my 811 with it.

Thats possible right, since I am currently subscribed to the "old" HD pack, I would be able to just replace the 811 with the 942 and get the "old" HD pack on the 942?

I would just get the 622, if I didn't have to sign up for the new, more expensive HD pack....

I doubt it. My understanding of all of this is, once the receiver is deactivated, you won't get any HD at all.

So, it wouldn't matter what HD you have now.

I may be wrong, and like I said in a different post, myself and others would love to know for sure. If you have the balls, deactivate your 811/942, and then try to add it back on. My gut tells me you are SOL.

angiodan said:
I doubt it. My understanding of all of this is, once the receiver is deactivated, you won't get any HD at all.

So, it wouldn't matter what HD you have now.

I may be wrong, and like I said in a different post, myself and others would love to know for sure. If you have the balls, deactivate your 811/942, and then try to add it back on. My gut tells me you are SOL.

I have a feeling you are right on this. On one of the other threads (wish I could remember where) someone had their 811 or 942 deactivated because of the upgrade. They lost their HD channels and when they wanted to reverse and add them back again while they waited for the 622 to be installed, the CSR said that the computer would not allow that. Almost like there is no longer even the option for HD on the 811 or 942 anymore.

I have a friend who bought a 942 from an Ebay seller for $435.00 inc. shipping on Jan. 30. He recently had it activated since he had an 811 with HD BUT he NEVER had the 811 hooked up to watch HD. He didn't understand you had to use the Component Cables to view HD content and the "dish installer" didn't hook it up that way. The 942 MADE him use the component cables on the 1st tuner for the second tuner to work.
BryanSr

RobertsD said:
Thats possible right, since I am currently subscribed to the "old" HD pack, I would be able to just replace the 811 with the 942 and get the "old" HD pack on the 942?
That's what I would hope for. I'm thinking that if the 942's get low enough on ebay, I'll pick one up. They add it to the account (without removing the 811 or it's HD & Voom plans). That way they'll just mirror the existing programming to the 942. Then later, one the HD is in place on the 942, drop the 811 from the account.

Perhaps that will work.

RobertsD said:

What you might want to do is call and activate the 942 and then later call in and deactivate the 811. Have both on the account at the same time.

"...That way they'll just mirror the existing programming to the 942. Then later, one the HD is in place on the 942, drop the 811 from the account.

Perhaps that will work...."

If you do this, please let us know if it works, or if they somehow defeat HD reception on the 942.

nuts4scuba said:
What you might want to do is call and activate the 942 and then later call in and deactivate the 811. Have both on the account at the same time.
Thats what I am thinking.

The people that have said they lost their HD pack, have canceled the old pack, then went to upgrade to the new pack.

I think as long as you do not cancel the old HD pack, it doesn't matter whether you have a HD reciever activated to recieve it. It is still being sent to you, and when you activate the new reciever(in my case, a 942) it will begin recieving the HD pack you already have.

Now I know that you cannot activate an Mpeg2 HD reciever and signup for the old, or new HD packs, but if you are already signed up, it would just get the signal already there.

Of course, it is a good idea to keep the 811 activated until the 942 is activated, but I bet it is not needed.

I cancelled Dish last night, and much to my surprise, the CSR insisted I own the 811 I got from a retailer through a Dish'n it Up promo in Dec. 2004 (I only paid $29 for the upgrade, which I told her).

I asked if I could reactivate it at a later date if I come back to Dish. The CSR was vague in saying I could as she kept emphasizing, of course, that if I come back I'll want to get a 211 to get the new HD programming. Much to my delight, after my service was cut, I could still get HD OTA, so I think I'll hold on to it for a back up just for that purpose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts