What is going to happen?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
When I first started my Dish account, 16 years ago, I had my local San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York channels. I loved it! We would watch some network programming from New York 3 hours early and then other network programming that might be on at the same time on our local time. DVRs fixed that issue. I did like to watch pro football from LA and NY though. You had much more choice than is available locally....

Will consumers opt to switch from an antenna or satellite provider and just watch LTE Broadcast broadcasts?

Your Tablet Will Be Your TV:
http://time.com/3643693/tech-predictions-2015-tablets-television/

Rumor has it that Verizon has a nice 20 buck package planned.

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/ve...content-owners-about-lte-multicast/2014-09-17

As previously reported, Midcontinent Communications, serving some 300,000 pay TV customers in the upper Midwest, has taken a first step in a direction that could well be taken by many other Tier 2 players. The company is testing a cloud-based middleware system supplied by aioTV which, in conjunction with use of a low-cost “pass-through” terminal that sits between the set-top and the TV, will allow the operator to offer a highly personalized blended service that makes OTT content available with traditional pay TV on a universal navigation system.

Adding to its flexibility to exploit broadband in the development of new service models Midcontinent recently announced a “Gigabit Frontier Initiative,” which envisions making gigabit access available to some 600,000 homes and 55,000 businesses within the next three years, starting in Fargo, Bismarck and Grand Forks, ND and Sioux Falls and Rapid City, SD . The company, already at the forefront of high-speed offerings with 200 megabit service available at about $106 per month in many markets, said broadband consumption has been doubling in its markets every 15 months

http://www.dtcreports.com/weeklyrif...t-disrupt-current-content-delivery-paradigms/

“This is why programmers are experimenting with direct-to-consumer. They don’t want to disrupt the pay TV marketplace, but they want to be out there if the Millennials don’t come back.”
http://www.screenplaysmag.com/2014/...y-tv-angst-triggers-plans-for-radical-action/

Last edited:
Will Dish bring this tech from their Dish Mexico service? anybody use this multi platform service from Dish?

At aioTV, new customers along with Midcontinent include Dish México, jointly owned by Echostar and Mexican media conglomerate MVS Communications, and theColombian MVPD UNE, which has merged with Millicom-owned operator Tigo to create a unified HFC footprint covering about three million households in that country. aioTV is also reportedly close to closing a deal with a major North American mobile service provider as we speak

Companies that use the aio platform include DISH Mexico, Telus, UNE Columbia, Telecom of Thailand, Maxcom Communications and UTStarcom. - See more at: http://www.crunchbase.com/organization/aiotv-inc#sthash.uOEgRtQa.dpuf

Midcontinent appears to be ripping out sat. dishes left and right in the heart of sat. service country. Both Dish Mexico and Midcontinent are using AioTV set top boxes from Greenwood CO. hmmmmm

As previously reported, Midcontinent Communications, serving some 300,000 pay TV customers in the upper Midwest, has taken a first step in a direction that could well be taken by many other Tier 2 players. The company is testing a cloud-based middleware system supplied by aioTV which, in conjunction with use of a low-cost “pass-through” terminal that sits between the set-top and the TV, will allow the operator to offer a highly personalized blended service that makes OTT content available with traditional pay TV on a universal navigation system.

Adding to its flexibility to exploit broadband in the development of new service models Midcontinent recently announced a “Gigabit Frontier Initiative,” which envisions making gigabit access available to some 600,000 homes and 55,000 businesses within the next three years, starting in Fargo, Bismarck and Grand Forks, ND and Sioux Falls and Rapid City, SD . The company, already at the forefront of high-speed offerings with 200 megabit service available at about $106 per month in many markets, said broadband consumption has been doubling in its markets every 15 months

http://www.dtcreports.com/weeklyrif...t-disrupt-current-content-delivery-paradigms/

Last edited:
Dish ganging up with Netflix could be the start of something new as well. Dish could offer it's NuTV on Netflix. Hmmm?

Reactions: ChadT41
The issue is that with spot beam technology, even if it was legal to sell distant networks the sat companies wouldn't allow it.

You may have a few instances where adjacent DMA's share the same spot beam. But if you lived in Chicago and wanted detroit or Cleveland it may not be allowed because you may be on the edge of the spot beam.

Or let's say you did get Detroit locals in Chicago, and the satellite is replaced with a different or smaller spot beam. Now you got the idiot customers who will call and complain that your taking something away from them and want to cancel.

Only advantage would be a small Dma like Cadillac mi which is 1 county getting locals from bay city or Detroit no.

The issue is that with spot beam technology, even if it was legal to sell distant networks the sat companies wouldn't allow it.

You may have a few instances where adjacent DMA's share the same spot beam. But if you lived in Chicago and wanted detroit or Cleveland it may not be allowed because you may be on the edge of the spot beam.

Or let's say you did get Detroit locals in Chicago, and the satellite is replaced with a different or smaller spot beam. Now you got the idiot customers who will call and complain that your taking something away from them and want to cancel.

Only advantage would be a small Dma like Cadillac mi which is 1 county getting locals from bay city or Detroit no.
Claude, we rarely see eye to eye, but I couldn't agree more.

Well they could do like they used to,offer a few major cities via conus sat.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Well they could do like they used to,offer a few major cities via conus sat.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yeah, if it was legal to sell distant network service, they wouldn't need spot beams. That whole technology was deployed to service a government mandated monopoly.

They would still need spot beams as that is how they are able to have all the local markets to begin with. It allows them to reuse the frequencies in different markets. Everything is going IP based anyways. They will start offering it online.

Let's remember that all the big broadcasters had agreed to accept hundreds of millions of dollars from Dish and drop their lawsuits to allow Dish to continue it's then "questionable" Distant Nets service that they at first had opposed. It was that profitable for Dish. I was shocked Dish was making that much money with Distant Nets. Oh, wait! I meant to say all BUT FOX Network who happened, at the time, to own, you guessed it, DirecTV, a direct competitor to Dish. The judge hearing the case was willing to approve the new deal for Dish to essentially throw money on the desks of the broadcast nets who then became believers in Dish's "odd" Distant Nets ONLY IF ALL the broadcasters agreed. Fox was the ONLY broadcaster to say "no" so it died, to the chagrin of the other broadcasters who were making space for all of Dish's new cash.

That's what happens when a media company owns content, broadcast stations to air them, pay "cable TV channels to air them, and an MVPD (content PROVIDER) to stream it all in the home for a price, in the form of DirecTV (Rupert Murdoch's back then). Oh, Fox also owns a movie and TV studio, to boot. That's 6 forms of media business. I'm sure they own even more I don't know about.

Look, if it was enough money then, it can be enough money now. But there just isn't a point for Dish to revisit this, even though it was quite profitable for Dish at the time (that's why there were willing to pay hundreds of millions for it), as subscribers have gotten along with out it for many years, and why should he spend the money now after years of savings for Dish for a demand that no longer exists. You just have to go hit the right number for these guys (media companies, including those who own broadcast nets) to do ANYTHING. They will gladly change their whole model and praise what they had just the day before criticized for the right price. Which is what all but Fox was prepared to do back in the "open" Distant Net days. The very few Distant Nets would've been on CONUS, just as the regional sports are today to support the Sports Pack. So, the spotbeams would have been irrelevant and bringing Dish lots of money.

This was to be posted in the new thread "Will the bubble pop? Or will you pay 30 bucks for ESPN?" that the OP if this thread started, but, was closed, I took the time to type it out and thought I would add my sentiment to post such as these.

Has this doom and gloom the end of DBS crap not been discussed enough already? Will DBS and Cable penetration shrink as prices climb steadily higher? Probably, some, but not VERY much. As time goes on and more and more millenials/GenY are paying the bills, they will be cord cutters or cord nevers. But ALL of these type discussions pretend that EVERYBODY, all 310,000,000 Americans live where you can get unlimited use HIGH speed broadband to do this (IPTV) well, newsflash, everybody does not. I live in the country in a rural part of Alabama, as do millions and millions of Dish and DirecTV subscribers, if we can get DSL we are doing good and it is sometimes no more than 1.5 Mbps down. Some of us have to have Exede or HughesNet. DBS is going NOWHERE soon. This is all folks such as myself can get, Dish or DirecTV, there is no constant "streaming" maybe Netflix movie here and there, but TV still comes from DBS. I for one am tired of these stupid threads, and the fact that the folks that start them think everybody has all of the options that they do for distribution, Cable, fibre, high speed ADSL, etc... Never thinking about folks that can barley access broadband at any price.

This was to be posted in the new thread "Will the bubble pop? Or will you pay 30 bucks for ESPN?" that the OP if this thread started, but, was closed, I took the time to type it out and thought I would add my sentiment to post such as these.

Has this doom and gloom the end of DBS crap not been discussed enough already? Will DBS and Cable penetration shrink as prices climb steadily higher? Probably, some, but not VERY much. As time goes on and more and more millenials/GenY are paying the bills, they will be cord cutters or cord nevers. But ALL of these type discussions pretend that EVERYBODY, all 310,000,000 Americans live where you can get unlimited use HIGH speed broadband to do this (IPTV) well, newsflash, everybody does not. I live in the country in a rural part of Alabama, as do millions and millions of Dish and DirecTV subscribers, if we can get DSL we are doing good and it is sometimes no more than 1.5 Mbps down. Some of us have to have Exede or HughesNet. DBS is going NOWHERE soon. This is all folks such as myself can get, Dish or DirecTV, there is no constant "streaming" maybe Netflix movie here and there, but TV still comes from DBS. I for one am tired of these stupid threads, and the fact that the folks that start them think everybody has all of the options that they do for distribution, Cable, fibre, high speed ADSL, etc... Never thinking about folks that can barley access broadband at any price.
I agree. I live in the middle of a major metropolitan area, but I go to visit my grandma, in here little town of 13 people(not a typo), and I remember when they got Windstream. She was excited because she no longer needed dial up. Her high speeds are 1.7mbps every so often, typically teeters around 1mbps. She lives less then 6 hours drive away from me, if I do the speed limit.

We're 30 miles from the capital city of one of the largest states in the country and we're lucky to have slow DSL. 3 miles up the road DSL ends and it's satellite internet only country for miles and miles.

Reactions: ChadT41
I agree. I live in the middle of a major metropolitan area, but I go to visit my grandma, in here little town of 13 people(not a typo), and I remember when they got Windstream. She was excited because she no longer needed dial up. Her high speeds are 1.7mbps every so often, typically teeters around 1mbps. She lives less then 6 hours drive away from me, if I do the speed limit.
We finally got DSL here from CenturyLink about 7 years ago. Went from DirecWay 1.0 to CenturyTel (at the time) 1.5. Eventually it got, about 2 years ago where I could get 4.0/512 from CenturyLink. They have now oversold the DSLAM and have a bandwidth exhaust, and the DSL speed is all over the place, usually around 2.5 or 3.0 on a good day. I have both CenturyLink and Exede satellite internet from ViaSat to use when my DSL is slow or bad.

People having DSL and Exede/Hughes reminds me of when people had cable (for the local network channels) and satellite (for the better channel lineup) having to pay two bills to get good service (the best of both worlds).

Eventually we will have LEO satellites bringing us broadband and phone service so those out in the country will have better internet without the limits that we see today with GEO satellite broadband.

i agree with the Cable/Satellite bubble finally busting and cord cutting is becoming a trend. and the reasons i will list off:

1. people are fed up with paying up $100 to almost $200 for TV, some of the excess money is caused by sports channels and not to mention fees over DVRs, activation fees and ETFs to end the contract.

2. with the growth of high speed internet, it has made it easier to stream in some areas, in fact people can get special set-top boxes that can stream stuff on to their TVs. not to mention we can watch movies and shows online from our computer, tablets ans smart phones. and it's seems to be cheaper and more on-demand.

3. the newer generation of TV watchers don't like to pay much money for TV, and would rather get their TV fix from the internet, the younger generation inducing my generation (i was born in 1985 so i fall into the current generation) would rather get it free or cheap anyway.

4. channels being in dispute as the owners of the channels can't agree in good faith to keep the channels on the air without contract while they try to reach a new deal. we don't like losing channels and i'm sure it cause people to want to leave Cable/Satellite cause they can't watch their shows anymore.

The way the OTT model is becoming, you are going to end up paying just as much or more. Look at CBS wanting $6 or $7 per month, then add $8 for Netflix, then $8 or $10 for Hulu, then another probably at least $15 for HBO streaming only when it starts and $9 or $10 for Amazon Instant Video (Prime) your at $50 per month right there, and it will keep building and building until it is MORE expensive than having a monthly subscription with a MPVD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)