What is going to happen?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lue

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
great plains
But first Internet video services need access to the programs!!!

Today the FCC takes the first step to open access to cable programs as well as local television. The result should give consumers more alternatives from which to choose so they can buy the programs they want.”
Open access to local TV!! Bring it!
Will we be able to get NY news, California PBS in Arkansas?
I think this will kill off a lot of the BS channels now carried in the multi channel packs, thus causing providers to lower prices. A whole lot of new content for viewers to pick from.
Could dish offer a 50 channel package of all 50 states PBS channels? 50 state local news package? or will all of these new offerings have to come over the internet due to lack of capacity by satellite providers? Drop the dish and go to NuTV? Maybe a new Cuban 5 channel package? Would love to get International local programming also. A local channel from the Ukraine showing the real 24 hr. "shoot em up" action on the streets? A worlds load of content is waiting to be consumed as soon as these silly regs. get sorted out. Will Roku become Dish's new big competitor? This will be a game changer for sure. Whats going to happen?
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fcc-moves-ala-carte-internet-759650

Last edited:
It is proposed, it will never pass. Program providers will never let it pass. They have too much money. They can buy whoever they need to.

It is proposed, it will never pass. Program providers will never let it pass. They have too much money. They can buy whoever they need to.
A year ago I would have agreed with you, there has been too much attention paid to the matter now with Aereo, McCain seeking a la cart TV etc., etc. It will pass this time I am betting.

FCC chairman Tom Wheeler and Democratic members Jessica Rosenworcel and Mignon Clyburn are expected to vote yes, which would provide the majority vote needed.

http://fortune.com/2014/12/16/fcc-ott-cable-classification/

Last edited:
or can you get locals from all across the country and in hd just an idea let me know what you think.

Not gonna happen. The local advertisers won't let it....

And neither would this proposal, if it becomes FCC policy.

In the Fortune article linked above we read:

Cord-cutters have had difficulty accessing local channels in particular; an FCC-rule change may level the playing field in a way that the Aereo case did not. “We’re talking about public airwaves,” David says. “They are exactly that: public. And the airwaves should be made available to anyone who wants them by any way possible.

"David" in the above quote is Alki David, the founder of FilmOn, that provides live streamed TV channels and was caught up in the Aero dispute. FilmOn's plan would support:

authenticated subscribers in local markets in a way that is consistent with FCC rules. FilmOn would provide program exclusivity, emergency alerts and information, close captioning, equal employment opportunity, and good-faith compliance with all the rules and regulations that govern MVPD services.

Those rules include the same ones that all cable and satellite operators currently comply with, including negotiating contracts with local channels.

And neither would this proposal, if it becomes FCC policy.

In the Fortune article linked above we read:

"David" in the above quote is Alki David, the founder of FilmOn, that provides live streamed TV channels and was caught up in the Aero dispute. FilmOn's plan would support:

Those rules include the same ones that all cable and satellite operators currently comply with, including negotiating contracts with local channels.

Filmon already has a lot of local stations in it's system, (I was watching them until June) even though due to the Aereo decision they were forced to block them from subscribers for now. I'd say they could be turned back on immediately, if they get the go ahead to do so.

The cable and satellite television industry could be in for a big shift thanks to a small change proposed by the Federal Communications Commission

Analysts have said that this shift could mean an influx of competition into the TV industry, as well as rapid growth for television delivered over the Internet.

“Our proposal will mean more alternatives for consumers beyond the traditional cable or satellite bundle, including giving consumers more options to buy the programming they want,” said FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler in comments he filed as part of the FCC’s vote

"Big company control over access to programming should not keep programs from being available on the Internet. Today, we propose to break that bottleneck," Wheeler wrote
http://mashable.com/2014/12/19/fcc-multichannel-video-programming-distributor/

End of cable boxes?
http://inthecapital.streetwise.co/2014/12/20/fcc-proposal-internet-tv-cable/

Last edited:
I don't understand why in the US you can't have "Time shifting" like we do here in Canada? After all IE Fox is Fox across the country more or less. Yeah some stations might be owned by different owners but the programming at night is more or less the same. Same with CBS,NBC & ABC some different owners but prime time programming is basically the same accept for different time periods.

If all you're interested in is news and other local programming, I'm willing to wager you can watch that now. The majority of stations putting out local news are also live streaming that news. You can also click on a station's webpage and watch stories from previous newscasts.

Where you get into a bind is syndicated and network programming. Stations may have contracts with the programmers that prevent them from streaming the shows.

If all you're interested in is news and other local programming, I'm willing to wager you can watch that now. The majority of stations putting out local news are also live streaming that news. You can also click on a station's webpage and watch stories from previous newscasts.

Where you get into a bind is syndicated and network programming. Stations may have contracts with the programmers that prevent them from streaming the shows.
Will the new ruling mentioned below force the networks to negotiate with all the new internet tv providers entering the market?
http://mashable.com/2014/12/19/fcc-multichannel-video-programming-distributor/

you're looking at 4-6 months before there is even a final vote on these proposals. The affiliate system will still be in place, so any provider wanting to do local networks will still have to talk to every local station owner, unless the big boys are gonna kick back some money to the local affiliates.

personally I wouldn't even try to carry network programming, although they will try and force their way in with the constant bundling that occurs.

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler, a former cable co lobbyist, knows that OTT systems who dare to attempt "a la carte" are going to be presented with the SAME deal as all the other MVPD's: "Take these other channels or you don't get the ones you want." Dear ol' Tom gets to look pro consumer while really giving the media companies new fertile ground to impose the same sky high rates that include channels not wanted by most consumers.

The only thing changing is WHERE we access our TV and movies. Now, Netflix and Amazon can be MVPD's with the same headaches passed on to the consumers. No REAL change for the consumer.

Reactions: TheKrell
Interesting how the Hollywood Reporter cites a statement from the National Cable & Television Association (NCTA), and yet OMITTED that Mr. Wheeler was once president of that cable lobbying group. Hmm.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts