What is going to happen?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The way the OTT model is becoming, you are going to end up paying just as much or more. Look at CBS wanting $6 or $7 per month, then add $8 for Netflix, then $8 or $10 for Hulu, then another probably at least $15 for HBO streaming only when it starts and $9 or $10 for Amazon Instant Video (Prime) your at $50 per month right there, and it will keep building and building until it is MORE expensive than having a monthly subscription with a MPVD.
Yes. They'll give us what we want - and charge us MORE for LESS! Because there are plenty of people who think their bill will go down. And then it will be too late.

Let us hope libraries stick around.

Reactions: ChadT41
The way the OTT model is becoming, you are going to end up paying just as much or more. Look at CBS wanting $6 or $7 per month, then add $8 for Netflix, then $8 or $10 for Hulu, then another probably at least $15 for HBO streaming only when it starts and $9 or $10 for Amazon Instant Video (Prime) your at $50 per month right there, and it will keep building and building until it is MORE expensive than having a monthly subscription with a MPVD.
Completely agree. OTT will only be a variation of the same theme...we will pay what the content owners want us to.

As more and more companies begin to offer TV packages and a la cart via broadband, consumers will be able to purchase a smaller package of channels that come a lot closer to meeting their viewing choice. Where, as now we have to purchase the top tier offerings just to get the few channels that we really like from a limited choice of carriers, often just one choice for a lot of people). The myriad of new broadband offerings will bring competition which is always good for the consumer. All we need are just 20 or so channels (see link below) to satisfy most consumers. I ask all viewers to take the time and list your 20 must have channels. The new broadband guys Google, NUTV, etc. etc, etc, etc,. are going to come close to meeting our desires and offering cheaper prices to boot. BRING IT ON!

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insigh...els-despite-record-number-to-choose-from.html

http://www.avclub.com/article/new-study-confirms-there-are-more-tv-channels-you--204292

http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/we-get-189-cable-channels-but-we-only-watch-17

Last edited:
Who is offering Ala Carte channels for less? In order to have the Broadband access, you have to subscribe to the package that has that channel in it, on traditional set ups. U/nless you are talking about netflix, Hulu, CBSOD, HBOGO, etc, Once you add that all up, you are paying the same if not more for less. I will stick with my traditional package settings until we find a way to not pay what broadcasters want from us. Until then, you will pay the high prices one way or another.

Reactions: Mr Tony

I agree and have been saying this for a while.

I say within 5 years the current model will be gone. At least it will be for me, if it keeps going up by $5.00 every year for the next five years. I love the hopper but there comes a point when even cool technology isn't enough of a reason to keep paying so much money a month to watch under 17 channels.

Reactions: BBCInc
It's a wonder that a company has not come out with it's own set of channels and combine that with a cheaper set of channels available today to create an affordable package and include DVR and other features with the service that is normally charged extra or. Kinda like a Netflix with more of your own original content.

It's a wonder that a company has not come out with it's own set of channels and combine that with a cheaper set of channels available today to create an affordable package and include DVR and other features with the service that is normally charged extra or. Kinda like a Netflix with more of your own original content.

Yeah! We could name it "IVI tv" or "AEREO", or even "FilmOn"! I wonder why nobody else thought of this idea?

As more and more companies begin to offer TV packages and a la cart via broadband, consumers will be able to purchase a smaller package of channels that come a lot closer to meeting their viewing choice. Where, as now we have to purchase the top tier offerings just to get the few channels that we really like from a limited choice of carriers, often just one choice for a lot of people). The myriad of new broadband offerings will bring competition which is always good for the consumer. All we need are just 20 or so channels (see link below) to satisfy most consumers. I ask all viewers to take the time and list your 20 must have channels. The new broadband guys Google, NUTV, etc. etc, etc, etc,. are going to come close to meeting our desires and offering cheaper prices to boot. BRING IT ON!

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insigh...els-despite-record-number-to-choose-from.html

http://www.avclub.com/article/new-study-confirms-there-are-more-tv-channels-you--204292

http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/we-get-189-cable-channels-but-we-only-watch-17
You seem extremely passionate about IPTV, but I recall you mentioning in another thread that you live in a rural area. Are you lucky enough to live in a rural area with good broadband? I am in the country myself with limited and at times very poor DSL service that I have to augment with satellite and wireless. IPTV will not work for me, I could give 2 cents about it.

The comment I hear from satellite and cable customers the most is they would like the chance to pick just the channels they want. For me, I would love to have some other in state network stations... hmmm... do I wanna watch WRAL news or WECT news at 6? I think most consumers would prefer those individual chocies, with that, some networks would not survive.

The comment I hear from satellite and cable customers the most is they would like the chance to pick just the channels they want. For me, I would love to have some other in state network stations... hmmm... do I wanna watch WRAL news or WECT news at 6? I think most consumers would prefer those individual chocies, with that, some networks would not survive.
Remember, Dish is the only company that has ever offered a fully ala carte package. That has since been stopped. Networks got pissed, and now force channels in packages.

Reactions: WXIK K-96
The "cheaper" set of channels are cheaper for a reason... most people don't want to watch them. The channels that people want to watch (speaking generally here), command the biggest $$.

Have you looked to see if WRAL and/or WECT stream their newscasts live now?

I'm guessing if this goes through that live pro sports on out of market locals will be blacked out in other areas just like on out of market RSNs for folks who have the Sports Pack.

For example, I live in Texas and if I watch the Philadelphia Fox affiliate, and they show an Eagles game that is not shown by my local Fox affiliate, the Eagles game will probably be blacked out.

If football games like my example above weren't blacked out, it would put Sunday Ticket out of business.

NuTV vs. Verizon, AT&T's, and Sony's virtual broadband TV offering, According to Charlie, NuTV is going after the younger, sports minded, apartment dweller for 30 bucks a month. Has anybody heard the potential channel lineup/target market from Verizon,, AT&T's,, Sony's or any of the other myriad of online TV services soon to be released? With all the virtual TV services coming out, one of them is bound to hit our sweet spot, seeing how most consumers just actually watch 20 or fewer channels.

http://variety.com/2014/digital/new...mid-2015-with-wireless-tv-service-1201303707/

http://variety.com/2014/digital/new...lans-to-launch-virtual-tv-service-1201011844/

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/ces-sony-cloud-based-tv-streaming-game-services-1201034075/

http://variety.com/2014/digital/new...n-to-form-over-the-top-tv-venture-1201160876/

http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2014/12/17...-begin-massive-deployment-of-virtual-network/

I think, Leu, it would make your head spin to the differences in say just 20, 20 or less channels lists. I think that MIGHT make it clear that no matter how many IPTV providers, there will be NO magic ONE that could possibly match a major percentage of any list. Therefore, the need for more than just one...and the your monthly total of bills start to resemble a Dish bill.

I think, Leu, it would make your head spin to the differences in say just 20, 20 or less channels lists. I think that MIGHT make it clear that no matter how many IPTV providers, there will be NO magic ONE that could possibly match a major percentage of any list. Therefore, the need for more than just one...and the your monthly total of bills start to resemble a Dish bill.
STOP MAKING SENSE!!!!!

Even if I had to subscribe to 2 different services to get the channels I want, without having to pay for the channels I never watch would be, say, 60 bucks, Thats HALF $$$ of what I am currently paying. With NO costly Dish Install, Service calls,Fleet of trucks, labor, satellites to pay for etc. etc. etc. The consumer will be a winner with the new services offered.

There will probably be 20, 30,40, heck, who knows how many entrants into this new TV business, a lot more choices for the consumer.

People fail to realize that while roughly 22% of a MVPD expenses are for basic programming and roughly 22% of the MVPD expenses are for premium programming (HBO/Starz/Showtime/NBA/MLB/NFL/NHL/ESPN CFB/VOD/PPV events etc), that other portion of expense is largely spent on infrastructure.

Take away the Video Channel and the Companies will hike up your internet rate by 50% to pay for the delivery infrastructure.

It already happens today when you subscribe to Internet and not cable in a bundle.

Thus, its really comical to see people talking about how much money they save with Dish or DirecTV, when they pay out more when their internet is added in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)