What is HD lite?

Moved to DishHD... from our Glossary
HD-lite: HD-Lite refers to a practice started by some cable companies and DirecTV and adopted by Dish Network (on VOOM HD channels, CBS HD East as well as MPEG4 HD Locals and most MPEG4 additions) of reducing the HD picture resolution from the standard 1920x1080i to 1280x1080i, esentially losing 1/3 of the pixels. The term also applies when bitrates are lowered to the point of degrading the HDTV signal. It is also used in OTA to signify that a provider like CBS is multicasting or stealing bandwith from the HD channel to service other digital channels.

Last edited:
This is HD-Lite:

1920x1080i @ 9.72 Mb/s because of multicasting. Screenshot is in PNG format so the mpeg artifacts aren't distorted by further compression.

What is considered Lite

Full HD is 1920x1080i (1080p will probably be added soon to this standard) or 1280x720p. What is consider lite is anything different than these even if it an accepted standard of the ATSC for satellite transmission.

What is HD-Lite? HD-Lite is an abomination; it is scandal, collusion, and bilking of the American public...all rolled into epic proportions...er, at least that's the way I see it.:rolleyes:

HD is like that beautiful young woman you used to date ~whereas~ HD-Lite is that same gal ten years after you said, "I do"....complete with wrinkles, stretch marks, and cellulite. HD-Lite can sometimes be quite comfortable, but so too can an old pair of worn out sneakers.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts