What is left for Charlie to say on HD Charlie Chat?

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
After E*'s announcement last week what is left for Charlie to say?

1. Maybe some for info about upcoming HD channels?

2. Perhaps a little more info on the price of the 811, does the new $399 include the Dish (and install?). (similar to Directv $399 offer)

3. More info on rollout dates for 811 (press release says "Fall"), 921, and SuperDish? And how you can get one? (I was told ONLY from retailers.)

Jeff

There really isn't much to say at all actually although I believe they will explain things better and they will hammer home the fact that HD on 110 is temporary.

Last week on Wednesday I posted the news of the announcement before it happened at AVSforums (See this Thread and was mostly on the money (I wasn't expecting the announcement til Friday) :)

Tommorow night's show sounds like you can miss it if you want since you know the news already but for others hearing Charlie say the words HDTV is like some kind of drug, they get a high hearing the letters HDTV roll off his tounge. :)

I am still waiting for the announcement for Bravo, as I was told that they would be part of the new HD offerings from DISH in late summer or early fall. This was directly from Bravo.

I expect that most of the information from Charlie will focus on what has already been announced (with maybe a few special deals for current HD customers). I think this was sort of a stop gap measure from DISH to keep current customers from leaving for the competition.

Remembering the days of when Charlie actually answered his own e-mail, I can say that I think he honestly does care for what the opinions are of his customers; however, as companies get larger, day to day operations and decisions kind of become distant to upper management. I am not saying it is right...

Anyway, I think we will see a lot of good information on HD over the next several months. These are just the first additions. I personally expect Bravo, CinemaxHD, Starz! HD and that other general Starz! channel (which sort of sounded like an HD version of Encore). From what I have seen I also think that Sci-Fi and USA will be available soon on DISH. Remember, as I have said before, they did have these up on satellite last fall testing them in 8psk.

Personally, I would love to hear Charlie announce a solid date for a 921, as I really want to order one right away, and would love to actually be a customer beta tester if they ever had such a group.

As I posted the other day at DBSForums there is talk that HD viewers may get so some channels such as USA and SCI FI in Extended Definition, this means more bandwidth for a Standard Def Channel, however when a channel such as USA has a special like Tennis in HD the channel can be flipped into HD mode for the special.

As far as Bravo goes, while I am told Dish does have an agreement for it I do not believe they will mention this tommorow, while some people will be happy others will be upset that there is another delay in getting all the HD Channels they want.

I am not going to be upset. I wrote to DISH a few weeks ago and was told to keep waiting the Charlie Chat in the next several months for a new package with more channels. They said that customer demand for this was high and that new channels would be added to it over time.

I am just happy that something is coming.

BTW Scott, I was sorry to hear about everything that has transpired over the last few weeks. I always find your information and insight very reliable!

Keep the information coming.

What is left for Charlie to say?

I expect:

1) Charlie won't sy anything. His lips won't even move. Or...

2) Charlie won't even show up. Or...

3) The Chat will be postponed for another month

There, now I won't be dissapointed with whatever is said. ;)

Seriously, I agree with Scott. Just tired of getting let down by the recent lack of substance in the Charlie Chat.

Dave

If HD on 110 is temporary, how will they work that? That is, if we subscribe to the HD package, then will they take away channels if we don't later buy superdish? (seems unlikely) or will they give superdish's for free by that point or what?

(Not that I won;t be getting a superdish, but I'm getting tired of my procession of dishes and switches over the last couple of years and would look like to pace myself a bit) :)

This is correct the HD Channels will only be on 110 for a period of time, I am predicting the HD is off 110 by March / April.

The reason Dish was holding back on the HD Channels was because they were hoping the SuperDish would be ready and in active beta testing, however I hear the SuperDish wasn't quite ready for primetime yet which is why the delay.

I do see people saying "Hey where did my HD go" and "Why isn't the HD on 110, it was working fine there before" when the HD gets switched off. However I give Dish Credit for realizing that their HD customers are improtant and they have bit the bullet to offer HD on 110 while they get their technical problems straightened out, and the nice part about this is, people should have more then enough oportunity to upgrade to a SuperDish before HD is shut off at 110.

JonUrban said:
Why aren't these channels going to be of 61.5 like the rest of the HD stuff?

Because the transponder room is on 110. Your existing HD channels are on 61.5, mine are on 148. They mirror those channels effectively duplicating transponder space. It's more efficient to put the new channels on 110, and later, 105.

Bobby

Hard to believe when I first got DISH way back then I thought the whole new Satellite thing was and the Charlie Chats were a big deal. It was almost a status symbol... Wow you have Satellite TV? And I never missed a Charlie Chat.
Though to be fair it was far superior to Cable. Remember that was in the Golden age - choice of local distants, much less expensive than Cable, overall better PQ, more reliable, more channels etc etc.

Hard to believe when I first got DISH way back then I thought the whole new Satellite thing was and the Charlie Chats were a big deal. It was almost a status symbol... Wow you have Satellite TV? And I never missed a Charlie Chat.
Though to be fair it was far superior to Cable. Remember that was in the Golden age - choice of local distants, much less expensive than Cable, overall better PQ, more reliable, more channels etc etc.

YES. It was very desirable to have satellite tv. I had the Dishplayer in 1999 and it was way ahead of its time.

The thing is- satellite is still very effective and economical, its only the PERCEPTION has changed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)