What is the best DVB-S2 PCI/PCIe card for use with LINUX?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ancient

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2014
USA
As of now what is the best DVB-S2 PCI or PCIe card for use with LINUX? I know of several choices if running Windows but not so many with Linux. By best I mean which will pick up those difficult signals most reliably?

If you need ACM/VCM then the TBS 5925/6925 is an excellent choice.

If you dont, then any of the stv0900/stv0903 demod cards I'd recommend. The TBS 5980 and the Skystar 2 Express HD PCIe are both around $80 shipped and are excellent cards. The Skystar one is probably my favorite out of all 12 cards I own. Its fast and reliable.

Unfortunately all the cards Ive mentioned wont run on the mainline Linux kernel. I have open source support for all of these in my v4l-updatelee kernel though. Ive also added additional functionality like spectrum scan and IQ plot.

UDL

Thank you, but -

What is ACM/VCM?

What is stv0900/stv0903 demod?

What is the v4l-updatelee kernel?

Are there any cards that work well and will run on the mainline Linux kernel?

Sorry but there were many unfamiliar terms in that post.

ACM/VCM is adaptive / variable coding modulation. It's a new method of changing the system/modulation/fec dynamically on the fly. It's not used very often and only by wildfeeds.

Stv0900/stv0903 are demodulator chipsets. There are lots of cards based on these demodulators and perform very well.

V4L-updatelee is a fork of the mainline kernel that includes many dvb/ATSC changes for better performance and new features.

UDL

The Prof 7301 (PCI) and Prof 8000 (PCIe) work out-of-the-box with standard distribution Linux drivers up to data rates of 67.5 Mbps. Above that you need a driver patch, which is readily available online or in various repositories such as V4L-updatelee. All Linux DVB distribution and repository drivers have bugs. It's the nature of the best.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)