What is the best premium HD channel for quality?

DryDock

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 15, 2006
I got Dish + HD for the first time at the beginning of the month. I'm impressed (was on SD Directv).

Dish offered three months free for one premium package and I chose Stars since it seemed to have the most movies my wife would like.

Stars HD is a bit of a hit or miss - and I wonder if I made the wrong choice.

Are the other pay HD channels better? Underworld Evolution looked really good, but some of the other stuff isn't. Should I have gone with HBO HD or Showtime HD instead?

-DD

If you are choosing a premium based soley on picture quality then you made the wrong choice. If you have chosen Starz because your wife would like it then you made the right choice. Right? ;)

Seriously, Showtime is not for everyone and HBO vs. Starz is probably a tossup with Starz having more movies and HBO having more original programming. But, hey, only you can know what you like and that is the beauty of the free trial.

Last edited:
I got Dish + HD for the first time at the beginning of the month. I'm impressed (was on SD Directv).

Dish offered three months free for one premium package and I chose Stars since it seemed to have the most movies my wife would like.

Stars HD is a bit of a hit or miss - and I wonder if I made the wrong choice.

Are the other pay HD channels better? Underworld Evolution looked really good, but some of the other stuff isn't. Should I have gone with HBO HD or Showtime HD instead?

-DD

If I were restriced to only one premium package, I would go with HBO, because of the original programming AND the movies. But, as has been previously noted, it does come down to personal preference.

If you are talking about the quality of the programming, that that's a matter of personal taste. Look over the schedule on Zap2It and make your own decision. If you want movies, then Starz is probably the best.

If you are talking about HD picture quality, then I would rate HBO the best of the three.

I used to notice a big difference in PQ between HBO and Starz, not much anymore.
Before everyone starts screaming.... maybe it's my lack of expert eyes.

There is no question that StarzHD has improved since it was added to E*, but I still think that HBO looks the best of the 3 premium movies channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)