What is the difference between 6000u w/ 8vsb & 811 ?

dvi, simultaneous sd and hd output.. a couple extra formats to play with I think... umm... monthly upgrades?

The 811 has picture in guide I think, the 6000 does not.
The 811 can do Dish Interactive stuff with OpenTV, the 6000 does not.
The 811 has PVR buttons on its remote, the 6000 does not.

811 has 2 day guide, 6000 does not
811 does DishPro, 6000 does not (means 811 can see 5 satellites now, 6000 tops out at 4, could even be possible to see more than 5 on 811 one day, I think the limit is 16).

mike123abc said:
811 has 2 day guide, 6000 does not
811 does DishPro, 6000 does not (means 811 can see 5 satellites now, 6000 tops out at 4, could even be possible to see more than 5 on 811 one day, I think the limit is 16).
While I may end up with a 811 to replace my 501 someday, I think I will keep my 6000. I use my Replay for guide purposes and it goes 10 days and is better than my 501 guide. And maybe today I will hook up my dpp44+ as I got in the dp single lnbs yesterday so I will be up to 4 sats. :) Would love the flexability of the dual outputs though. As for the interactive stuff, I rarely use mine on my 501 unless we are camping...

Bobby, ok I'm better now a 12 pack after the fact.

So which do you guys prefer ? My mom just bought a Plasma & now needs a HD receiver I'm thinking the easist one to use would be better.

I have one of each. I would go with the newer 811, even with its glitches, because of all the extra features listed above.

It looks like the ebay premium for 6000s has dropped pretty much in half. Of course the new card switchout probably had something to do with it ;)

The one thing that the 6000 does FAR FAR FAR better than the 811 is OTA ANALOG stations. Digital OTA and satellite are about the same. If you do not have digital stations and want to watch analog OTA through the sat box the 6000 has an advantage. Of course you could always use your TV tuner which is probably far better than the 811. There is still a bit of black level issues on Svideo/composite. If you are using HD output like component and DVI the picture is as good/better with the 811.

I only have 1 ota digital here and it is down most of the time.(besides the pq on the "locals"is better). And it cannot pass hd as it is just a repeater. I am the only one in this region that even knows of the existence of it apparently as when I call the station engineer in Albuquerque he says he will send some one down to fix.(alb is 300 miles away) So an 811 or even a 921 would not give me problems I guess :)

I had two 6000u's (for 2 years) that I sold 2 months ago since I recently switched to DirecTV just for the Sunday Ticket. I couldn't believe what their resale value was since I paid much less for them brand new 2 years ago. I just assumed that the 811 was a improvement on the 6000 chassis.

Thanks for the info guys today I helped my Mom to lease/rent a 811 for $5 a month & $9.95 month for the HD package incl. the first 6 months free. incl CBS-HD NY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)